Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who's looking forward to winter ?

itsnowjoke

Posted

I start looking forward to winter in Late July Posted Image

but only because I love the log burner, and the anticipation of Christmas. Once Christmas is over (and this is true I take the tree down boxing day) the wheel has turned for  me,from then on , I am looking  and planning for summer.

I don't forget about spring and autumn, but they are not the key points for me.

probably because for a large part of my adult life,the season's all blurred into one.

A man after my own heart. Love all the build up to the big day, but once boxing days gone, for me, christmas is over. Time to move on.

Love winter me. Love the frost, love those days were the fog doesn't shift. Love the snow. Love the anticipation of snow.

Don't like the car being perpetually dirty, or having the kids bring their muddy shoes into the house. But winter for me is the best time of the year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm looking forward to lying snow...The increasingly cold, damp, pre-Christmas gloom is something I can quite easily live without.

Hear Hear! I agree with that Pete, nothing worse than temperatures being cold and not actually giving us the white stuff, a wasted oppurtunity. That said pathetic easterly earlier this year was also awful, conditions ripe for snow, but the north sea wasn't firing due to SSTS and was't potent enough Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

ever since our winters became "good" i've been nervous about the next mild one - which, of course, will inevitably come at some point.  I just hope its not in my lifetime :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Snow is always lying to me... keeps promising it's gonna come but rarely does.

Nah.... just WHITE lies but always FALLS short of expectaion Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I started to look forward to winter in the spring  although I do hope the west country does a bit better this year, nothing spectacular for this area and spring delivered ice days but no proper snowfall.

I need a fall of 12 or more inches so I can build my igloo. Posted Image

Posted

ever since our winters became "good" i've been nervous about the next mild one - which, of course, will inevitably come at some point.  I just hope its not in my lifetime Posted Image

Winter 2011/12 was mild overall with a CET of 5.1C.  The only real interest for cold that Winter was the February cold spell but the UK was 'at the end of line' of the cold. 

I get nervous about the next 1988/89 like Winter which will inevitably come some at some point!

Edited by Don

Posted

For me there's something otherworldly about being covered up in a duvet and staring at the cold rain/snow outside. It forces a person inwards and to have that sense of reclusion is somewhat liberating from me as in summer the peer pressure of feeling like I 'need' to go out is underwhelmed by the feeling of staying in and suffering under the high humidity.

This role is obviously reversed in winter when staying in the house becomes generally more warmer and productive in terms of doing the little things such as craftwork, cooking, basic repairs, etc that have been crying out for attention over the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well I look forward to those 2 days of lying snow, the xmas 2 week break and... ermm that's about it I think!

The rest of it - the darkness, the endless grey days at 3-5c, the endless forum report emails (!), the vast expense of heating, the lack of exercise, the vast amount of prep you need to go outside, the waking up cold, the missus moaning about the cold, the icy dangers, the dangerous roads... well all of that you can keep!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Have got to say, I am really beginning to look forward to Winter, I love all the anticipation, and being able to wrap up. 

To be honest im an all round perosn, I love Summer, Winter, Autumn and Spring, I generally have a wide interest in all weather, from one extreme to the other :)

Hoping we get some snow again this year, and lots of nice sunny frosty mornings aswell :). Wouldnt mind the odd winter Atlantic storm or 2 either :D.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Winter 2011/12 was mild overall with a CET of 5.1C.  The only real interest for cold that Winter was the February cold spell but the UK was 'at the end of line' of the cold. 

That Feb cold spell was brilliant here - 10cms or so of dry and gently drifting snow, yet with the wind coming off the channel is quite special - the temperature actually fell a few hours after the snow started to about -2CPosted Image  About 40 miles west along the coast it turned more to sleet.  Lucky IMBY to stay in the cold continental air with the very low dewpoints. I think places like Folkestone and Dover were another degree even colder than here in HastingsPosted Image

There was something of a thaw a couple of days later, but after that it was bitterly cold and sunny, so the remaining snow stayed for the rest of the weekPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I get nervous about the next 1988/89 like Winter which will inevitably come some at some point!

Hopefully not!  It's unlikely though - it was third warmest in the CET series, and has been the warmest in the last 140 years (although 2006-7 came close).

Edited by virtualsphere

Posted

That Feb cold spell was brilliant here - 10cms or so of dry and gently drifting snow, yet with the wind coming off the channel is quite special - the temperature actually fell a few hours after the snow started to about -2CPosted Image  About 40 miles west along the coast it turned more to sleet.  Lucky IMBY to stay in the cold continental air with the very low dewpoints. I think places like Folkestone and Dover were another degree even colder than here in HastingsPosted Image

There was something of a thaw a couple of days later, but after that it was bitterly cold and sunny, so the remaining snow stayed for the rest of the weekPosted Image

Unfortunately IMBY was a bit too far west.  After the snow on the evening/night of the 4th, it turned slushy the next day as the milder Atlantic air made inroads.  It did turn colder again and there was another snowfall later in the week but I couldn't help being a little disappointed.  However, had it not been for the previous 3 Winters I would have been very pleased with that cold spell!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted

Hopefully not!  It's unlikely though - it was third warmest in the CET series, and has been the warmest in the last 140 years (although 2006-7 came close).

2006/7 was nearly as bad as 1988/89 but the snowfalls in January and February in particular saved the day.  Still a stinker of a Winter though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Asking this question on this forum is like asking "Who here likes food?".

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I'm not, as its pointing towards a particularly wet and mild winter....there may be the odd frost

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I'm not, as its pointing towards a particularly wet and mild winter....there may be the odd frost

BFTP

0nly September! how can it be pointing that way already? and if anyone would believe it this far out

yeah, my first preference by a long way snow, least preference rain and gales

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Bring it on,love the snow,but you can keep youre wet bulbs and marginals along with youre m4 corridor and snow turning to rain,then back to snow mish mash

Posted

BFTP

Oh dear.  I hope you are very wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

0nly September! how can it be pointing that way already? and if anyone would believe it this far out

yeah, my first preference by a long way snow, least preference rain and gales

Posted Image

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

:p BFTP

Lol always the optimist I see !!! I was wondering when you would come out the slumber !!)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i know we get mild day's i just hope we don't get too many of them. I don't mind the crisp cold day's with sunshine.