Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who's looking forward to winter ?

itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Well I look forward to those 2 days of lying snow, the xmas 2 week break and... ermm that's about it I think!

The rest of it - the darkness, the endless grey days at 3-5c, the endless forum report emails (!), the vast expense of heating, the lack of exercise, the vast amount of prep you need to go outside, the waking up cold, the missus moaning about the cold, the icy dangers, the dangerous roads... well all of that you can keep!

Good thing most days are probably around 7C with no ice then. How will you cope in Berlin?! Lots of freezes and thaws there, very cloudy with highs mostly 2-3C. It'll be interesting to see how much heating you use there - maybe you can moan in a new language too!

Winter is my favourite season for exercise. I prefer exercising in cool weather because you get warmer eventually. I hate exercising in warm weather. Plus, the darkness does not impede on my life in any way. I like walking in the darkness - usually quiet with few people around. Took a walk yesterday to Sainsbury's at around 9pm and it was very nice and silent.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I start looking forward to winter in Late July Posted Image

but only because I love the log burner, and the anticipation of Christmas. Once Christmas is over (and this is true I take the tree down boxing day) the wheel has turned for  me,from then on , I am looking  and planning for summer.

I don't forget about spring and autumn, but they are not the key points for me.

probably because for a large part of my adult life,the season's all blurred into one.

You live in quite a pretty village, on a hill, with lots of woodland around. You must get some great scenery when the leaves change colour. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Plus, the darkness does not impede on my life in any way. I like walking in the darkness - usually quiet with few people around. Took a walk yesterday to Sainsbury's at around 9pm and it was very nice and silent.

Did you take advantage of the full moon, or do you have eyes like a cat?Posted Image

Seriously, it depends where you walk I suppose, but going for a ramble in the dark is a complete no-no, as far as I'm concerned, as without a torch and in unfamiliar territory, you're likely to trip over and possibly hurt yourself, on tree roots / rabbit holes etc. I've walked in the dark on country public footpaths a few times, mostly through necessity and didn't enjoy the experience at all. You can see very little around you too, so might as well put a treadmill in your garden for the same outdoor experience.Posted Image

Edited by Steve C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i go into winter with mixed feelings...good things..no mosquitoes and i dont have to worry about keeping the house cool (as i only have one small air conditioning unit) you can weeks of glorious crisp sunny days..on the down side you can get weeks of cold snowy weather which brings the back breaking chore of snow shoveling...and worst of all is those weeks where it is just very cold overcast and endless nothingness which can be depressing.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Getting excited now. Logs chopped, beer stocked up and skis waxed. Hope it will be as good as last winter. However, no snow on the horizon yet, just warm barmy winds and smell of pine. Still early days yet and only just in the second half of Autumn.

Cpost-3489-0-47365800-1382606890_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i'm looking forward to it but i'm not rasing my hopes. Going by some of the lrm's it doesn't doesn't fil me with excitement lets hope that the lrm's not on the right path.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

i'm looking forward to it but i'm not rasing my hopes. Going by some of the lrm's it doesn't doesn't fil me with excitement lets hope that the lrm's not on the right path.

Long range forecasts aren't worth it, they are as wrong as they are right. I'm starting to take note of the strat thread now and the general thrust of the cfs is useful to watch though, it had got milder on average and now getting colder on average but, as to which months it's all over the place, even for November, so not much more than a very, very rough pointer.

So, just sit back and enjoy the ride, possible storm on Sunday/Monday so first things first.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

I'm looking forward to it and will take whatever it throws at me. Can't really do much else, can we? No point hoping or praying for massive snowfalls, or massive gales, or crystal clear skies and frosty nights. Sure, I would love all of these, but it's more likely to be wet and mild as it is to be cold and snowy. Pity that, but there it is. I love winter anyway no matter what the weather.

• 3 weeks later...