Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Sky at Night could be axed?

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think they should axe it, WH; it could never be the same without Sir Patrick anywho? I can't think of anyone else who could ever take his place...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Rumours that the Sky at Night could be axed. I hope not

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/sep/24/sky-at-night-faces-bbc-axe

Ridiculous, it must cost about 50 pence to make. Only a rumour though, and there doesn't seem a lot of substance to it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

In times of cost cutting it doesn't come as a surprise the viewing figures could well have a say in the decision as well only 202,000 watched the last episode

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

In times of cost cutting it doesn't come as a surprise the viewing figures could well have a say in the decision as well only 202,000 watched the last episode

They are a public service broadcaster though and have a responsibility. It's certainly worth keeping at the expense of another series of Motorway Cops Selling Junk From the Attic.

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 7

Posted

I personally think it will be a travesty if axed.There are some good people dr,s and astronomers on the programme.Could think of a hell of a lot more sh*te on bbc to axe.And the poor viewing figures are partly that the programme goes out in the early hours of the blo*dy morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It's not being axed at all. This has been a media frenzy because of some reforms at the BBC and the Sky at Night fans think it's going to be axed because of it. As Prof Brian Cox has rightly stated, there's no evidence of it being taken off air at all, the BBC have said nothing apart from "The Sky at Night will be on air until the end of the year, plans for subsequent series are being discussed" That happens every year, the budget for the programme isn't indefinite and it get's reviewed each series, so nothing has changed apart from a few people falling for media headlines again. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

I reckon Coxy would make a good job of presenting this - I always try to watch his programs when I can.

Posted

It's not being axed at all. This has been a media frenzy because of some reforms at the BBC and the Sky at Night fans think it's going to be axed because of it. As Prof Brian Cox has rightly stated, there's no evidence of it being taken off air at all, the BBC have said nothing apart from "The Sky at Night will be on air until the end of the year, plans for subsequent series are being discussed" That happens every year, the budget for the programme isn't indefinite and it get's reviewed each series, so nothing has changed apart from a few people falling for media headlines again. :fool:

The difference this time though is that we have lost Patrick Moore since then and it has been speculated for some time what would happen to the programme after he has gone. Whilst Patrick was alive, the show was safe, there was no way the BBC were going to ditch it but now he has gone, the programme's survival is/was not guaranteed. Fans of the programme I think are understandably concerned. I see no problem of signing a petition as a reminder to the schedulers of the support of the programme. Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted

This could be another 6 music / Asian network stunt.  The threat to cut these bumped the listening figures very nicely.  Will sign the petition just in case.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

We really need the show to be at least 30 mins at a reasonable time, as it is I'm not against its death given how little I watch it.

Posted

We really need the show to be at least 30 mins at a reasonable time, as it is I'm not against its death given how little I watch it.

The half-hour version is generally on at 7.30 p.m. on BBC4 on the Wednesday or Thursday after the late-night Saturday show.

According to co-presenter Lucie Green on Twitter, the BBC4 broadcast can get up to 1.5 million viewers; the 202 000 figure quoted somewhere is only for the late-night programme.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray