Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Do weather forecasts rule your day!

swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes that's right - 5 day was your guide as you could only see 5 days ahead on the Countryfile and on Wednesday lunchitime and later on the BBC so you had to rely on that onset spreading south via text.

I used to like it when they used bright white on the pg 401 weather map to denote snow :p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I used to like it when they used bright white on the pg 401 weather map to denote snow Posted Image

I don't remember that, they used to have a very basic colour code and split it into three but I remember it as there not being a specific colour for any particular weather type.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I don't remember that, they used to have a very basic colour code and split it into three but I remember it as there not being a specific colour for any particular weather type.

Yeah didn't happen all the time but when it did you just knew it wasn't coincidence and that a rather enthusiastic member of the team had been in the editing seat :p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Remember Ceefax and that lovely coloured weathermap?? Used to update at 6pm every day- really annoyed my brother as he'd want to watch the Simpsons whilst I was there watching the pages update.

Also, remember the 5 day forecast on Ceefax? Watching on in winter as day 5 in Lerwick showed 1C max and a -3 min with 'lt snow' and knowing that cold air may be about to spread south (and wishing there was a day 6 so your hopes could be confirmed Posted Image)

Bringing back good memories! I used to like the current weather pages on there, would show temps at all locations and what weather they were having. In unrelated weather I can remember bamboozle!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

So Its not just me then ! Lol. I also have daily records,paper cuttings going back to 74.I have one memory of rushing home from school in feb 78 and watching the beeb forecast after the 6oclock news.It was the week before valentines and the guy on the foecast was jack scott!I remember like it was yesterday and how he put the forecast.His words were "forget every thing in the atlantic we won't be seeing anything from there for a good while"!What followed then was a spell of bitter easterlys and was a severe spell indeed.can't imagine the server on here lasting long if that spell,79,81,87 or 91 had been online.

Posted

before i discovered this forum and the models i always used to watch tv forecasts and check the weather on teletext, now i hardly watch tv forecasts i only watch them if snow is on the way and laugh at all the hysterical forecasters  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Remember Ceefax and that lovely coloured weathermap?? Used to update at 6pm every day- really annoyed my brother as he'd want to watch the Simpsons whilst I was there watching the pages update.

Also, remember the 5 day forecast on Ceefax? Watching on in winter as day 5 in Lerwick showed 1C max and a -3 min with 'lt snow' and knowing that cold air may be about to spread south (and wishing there was a day 6 so your hopes could be confirmed Posted Image)

This will reboot a few memories...... In the early days of Ceefax the weather charts look like this;

1970's 1990's

Posted Image ..To this.. Posted Image Index menu Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted

This will reboot a few memories...... In the early days of Ceefax the weather charts look like this;

1970's 1990's

Posted Image ..To this.. Posted Image

I don't suppose you have got any for specific dates have you, like jan 11-14th 87 and feb 3rd-9th 1991 have you??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I don't suppose you have got any for specific dates have you, like jan 11-14th 87 and feb 3rd-9th 1991 have you??

Was thinking that myself ....lol already tried Posted Image

This was all i could find;   http://teletext.mb21.co.uk/gallery/ceefax/main1.shtml

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Confession time .. the weekly forecast for farmers was on  bbc one while I should have been at church .. so I became an atheist  for 26 years .!

Edited by be cause
  • Like 2

Posted

When exciting weather events are on the cusp of happening the TV weather reports are unmissable for the entertainment value - watching the presenters getting caught up in the moment, and wondering whether the tone or emphasis they place on certain words may indicate they may have certain 'inside knowledge'...no matter how much detail is now availble to us online. Nothing compares to BBC TV weather reports, they are terrific, they make good use of the 2 minutes or so they've got.

But...I actually miss the days when we didn't have as much information at our disposal. The daily ritual for me was tuning into a particular radio station at 5:05pm for the fresh 'long range' 3 day forecast, and then the TV weather report for the Australian capital city forecasts for the next day. The daily newspaper was also the only source for what the capital city temperatures were the previous day. As a paperboy in the late 80s I used to unwrap one of the papers on my round every morning to check all that information out.  Such a weather tragic was I, fun days!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Remember Ceefax - shame it got killed off, its simplicity was great.

Only tend to watch the forecast in the morning now. The Internet is my main resource nowadays! Don't know what I would do without netweather and all my virtual geeky friends! ;)

• Like 1

Posted

Simple answer no, but of course it's fascinating to see how they turn out as they are all just different levels of 'guessing' what might happen. I can't remember a weather forecast ever stopping me doing a particular outside event or work, although the actual weather at the time may have done.

Posted

Simple answer no, but of course it's fascinating to see how they turn out as they are all just different levels of 'guessing' what might happen. I can't remember a weather forecast ever stopping me doing a particular outside event or work, although the actual weather at the time may have done.

Heat stops me going shopping for frozen / fridge food as it can go off / defrost by the time you get back, I look at the radar but also the parallel met PPN prediction chart before I go out, particularly in summer as I hate heat and in no way shape or form do I want to wear a second layer, but if the rain is too heavy then I wont go out (if I have any choice that is), light rain, even continuous moderate rain occurs then I will still go out in t-shirt, in winter of course, it doesn't usually matter as I can wear a coat, unless its one of those 13 or 14c January days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Ah loving the pictures of ceefax maps, that was the last job at the end of a night shift to up date or check the 400 onwards pages for weather ready for 0600

and take the phone calls if any were wrong!!

Getting the outline of teh UK and not losing the Isle of Wight were a real graphical challenge

and putting white everywhere made us laugh :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Nowadays there are so many TV broadcasts, NEWs24 every half an hours

a lot of work goes into the country file week ahead one, and a lot of weight for the 1,6,10 broadcasts on BBC

but trying to cover the whole of scotland or the whole of the UK in 8 seconds? 1 min fine if it's high pressure but if extreme weather is coming....

Remember there are still forecasters broadcasting who are very interested, but have media constraints/pressures

Posted

good to read what it is like in 'the kitchen' so to speak Jo

perhaps you could do a blog/pdf about some of the best/worst moments of national forecasting?

• Like 1