Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest and Snowiest winter on record (2013/2014)

Timbo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Have to say that March '13 was the greatest amount of snow I've ever seen in my life; general depths of around 18" and drifts >4'...Plus the sheer longevity of it was ridiculous!

People say that winter 13 wasn't too impressive, and that is technically correct, but I prefer to look at the seasons in terms of weather rather than concrete deadlines - To me, such impressive snowfalls in March were part of a very good winter and will be fondly remembered by myself Posted Image

Now though I've moved up further north to Sheffield, so it will be interesting to see if my expectations change at all.                          

Sheffield is rather snowy, especially the western part of the city at an elevated position. The A57 road is often blocked by snow in Winter from Sheffield all the way to Glossop.

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Whilst March 2013 delivered very little snow here, some of the synoptics were stunning. We got uppers as low as -16C which to be honest you can't really get much colder even in the depths of winter. The example of a direct perfect hit on the UK.If it happened in January most of the country would have got battered especially the East which would have seen blizzard conditions off charts like this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alas we got blue skies and just a couple of scattered snow showers. The gale force north easterly was insanely cold given the maximum temperatures barely got above freezing here, which again for march is stunning.

This was the cold spell which I remember where the GFS was actually the first model to pick this up. Quite a steal after all the mess ups on the dull grey easterlies of February, it got the best cold blast of the season spot on.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

for experience i once in my lifetime would like to c an epic winter. Like cheese i want to c cold of 62-63 and 46-47 snowfalls. Lets hope this winter is the 1. How ever i cant c it happening, we can all hope and dream though.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

I want to see the prolonged cold of 1962/3 combined with the massive snowfalls of 1946/47.

I suspect if you lived through a 62/63 (as I did) you might change your mind! Both of those winters just went on and on and on...and however enjoyable it is for a while, eventually even hardened snow fans long to see the grass again..

Actually, I think we usually have it ideal in this country (apart from those many mild and snowless winters in the 90s and 00s): periods of cold and snow, but usually relatively short-lived. A week or ten days of real cold is enough at a time for me...though I don't mind an action replay later on, as long as there's been something warmer in between!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I was only 13 years of age then and even I, as a snow and cold lover, got fed up with it.  No central heating, outside loo frozen numerous times, side roads like skating rinks for 3 months.  Not sure we would cope if we had another prolonged winter like that, the strain on energy supplies and the transport system would be far greater now

I'm sure we'd be fine eventually. The first few days would be an ordeal, but we'd get over ourselves and get on with our lives eventually. It's only the first initial snowfall(s) that causes disruption. Life continues as normal afterwards - the country didn't stop running for the entire length of the Dec 10 cold spell!

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I'm not sure how we would cope with a '63 style Winter, but surely it is inevitably going to happen at some point...?

Then we'll see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

We are unlikely to see record the coldest winter on record as that would mean a CET winter colder than -1.2C (1683/84) which was recorded during a cold period. However as has been shown in recent years, we are capable of recording months colder than the legendary 1962/63 season, albeit at the "bookends" of the season - Dec 2010 and March 2013. So a prolonged period of cold could surpass the -0.3C that was recorded during '63 winter and I expect to see a lot more cold to come as we reduce summer sea ice to nothing in the years ahead, and especially during solar minimum.

Posted

I just want a winter that consists of strong ne winds blowing heavy snow showers across the country interspersed with sunny int with just below freezing temps by day and -8/9 by night.Also beautiful wintery cloudscapes when showers approach and pass!.December and jan like that n i'll be as happy as a pig in swill lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

4 weeks...we had 6 weeks here!  jan 23 to march 3rd

Hi Hillbilly, down in the SW we had to wait a tad longer although the signs were there for something major on 27th.

Posted Image

Massive HP to our west, and a siberian HP encroaching from the NE. Deep low pressure over Iceland to our North.  The LP to our East over Poland/Western Russia plays a pivotal part as it gets absorbed into the Iceland LP as it slides slowly south due to the block to the far NE developing and preventing any eastward movement.

Posted Image

Now see the battlelines are drawn, the LP has nowhere to go......South

Posted Image

and this led to the crucial part for many...getting the snow before the long dry cold set in.

Posted Image

and this leads to the Siberian HP extending WSW to link with the HP to our West and went on to move west hence it became  one of the great winter months.

Posted Image

And I remember the almost 'monotonous forecasts of Michale Fish, Giles etc saying HP to the north LP to the south and bitterly cold easterlies continue. 

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

dec 2010 was amazing as was 2009  this pix was 2010, im looking forward to this winter 6-8 weeks in the freezer and ill be happy

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I just want a winter that consists of strong ne winds blowing heavy snow showers across the country interspersed with sunny int with just below freezing temps by day and -8/9 by night.Also beautiful wintery cloudscapes when showers approach and pass!.December and jan like that n i'll be as happy as a pig in swill lol.

Those conditions would blow the Winter of 1684 into the weeds! Posted Image

To be honest, those conditions would really mess up the country (infrastructure and lots of people would die) In some ways the conditions sound nice (constant strong winds apart) but the reality would be dreadful. I'd guess that the odds on that type of winter would be something like a 1 in 100 million, given the fact we aren't in ice age conditions currently.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

I've seen Exactaweather's winter forecast - no I havent paid for it - Snowmageddon of course !