Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just noticed the other thread had been rumbling on for a wee while.

Welcome everyone who has been around all year, and welcome back those of you out of summer slumber.

Here's to a fun Autumn with plenty of active weather ahead as we descend into hopefully another great Winter delivering everything for everyone at one point or another.

As always to our new folks or visitors, dive in, say hello, let us know where you are, and what you love/hate about the Scottish Weather.

Don't be 'feart' to ask questions, someone will always be at hand to help answer them ! We like a good a good bit of Banter and debate on here

Enjoy !

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 7

Posted

The mild start to October continues (many stations running +4c or more above average so far). 12c here at the moment with hazy sun, temps should get into the 17/18c range again today in NE Fife. I'm enjoying the late season warmth while we can!

Posted

The mild start to October continues (many stations running +4c or more above average so far). 12c here at the moment with hazy sun, temps should get into the 17/18c range again today in NE Fife. I'm enjoying the late season warmth while we can!

Scrape the car in the morning, shorts and t-shirt in the afternoon kind of weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Alright then Lorenzo, an old question for a shiny new thread: when's winter going to start? Just had a look at the ensembles (although I doubt their usefulness sometimes) and there's no sign in the reliable for owt really cold that's going to give us a frost on the coast, which is a bit unusual for October as there's often a hint by now. Are there any clues of a shift to cold that people other than Steve Murr will trust?

(Another question is, why have I got marmalade all over my facePosted Image ?)

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

Interesting. Wouldn't expect an air frost here until mid November, sometimes later. Last year first air frost was Nov 29th. Of course I'm in one of the mildest locations of all the contributors to this thread. For comparison nearby Leuchars recorded 14 air frosts last October and November combined - compared to just one here.

Edited by Hawesy

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

should have called the thread THE RUN INTO WINTER get the juices flowing for what  we might see

Posted

Cooler here today at 13c maximum . Had a bit of a disaster with a 3 week old calf in the last few days which must have been spooked in the night and run into a stone wall  judging by its injuries. Got vet but but lost it this morning.Culprit may have been a large dog fox which I met up with at the edge of the cows field early this morning and was quite prepared to face me. Very bold in broad daylight. A foster calf will hopefully be here tonight for the cow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Alright then Lorenzo, an old question for a shiny new thread: when's winter going to start? Just had a look at the ensembles (although I doubt their usefulness sometimes) and there's no sign in the reliable for owt really cold that's going to give us a frost on the coast, which is a bit unusual for October as there's often a hint by now. Are there any clues of a shift to cold that people other than Steve Murr will trust?

(Another question is, why have I got marmalade all over my facePosted Image ?)

Shredded or smooth Marmalade, another eternal question.  For winter proper, who knows how it will pan out yet, really is a huge amount to bring into consideration before putting out a prediction on that one. By late October hope to be in a good position to make an informed guess as to how things will unwind. 

should have called the thread THE RUN INTO WINTER get the juices flowing for what  we might see

Nice idea BUS, still a wee bit of Autumn to get through first, I think the excitement is palpable already, the winter discussion is at 94 pages and there were half a thousand folk on here on Thursday night !!

What I do think is that, when this Northerly begins to filter in and the 850s take a dive it is going to be a right shock to the system, the strong summer in comparison to previous ones and this very benign and mild spell will be a distant memory pretty quickly.

post-7292-0-06245400-1381014594_thumb.gipost-7292-0-78276000-1381014599_thumb.gi

Spring saw continued cold and this summer has seen continued mild settled spell. Atmosphere wanting to get stuck in patterns, or notable lag effects ??

• Like 6

Posted

Coarse shred, Seville & lemon: vintage 2008 was good. Still don't know why I had it on my face.Posted Image

Think I've finally accepted that summer's over, autumn's here for a while, and winter may not show till December.  Was that not the way in 2010.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Can somebody give me a link to the winter forum please cos I canny find it ! Also - and this is SERIOUSLY important  - I have lost my smilies!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Can somebody give me a link to the winter forum please cos I canny find it ! Also - and this is SERIOUSLY important  - I have lost my smilies!!

Here's the one that is non-stop busy at the mo Mardatha - winter 2013/2014

No smilies? Posted Image

15C and blue sky visible, but no sun.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just thought I show folks a picture of my plums.

Small, but perfectly formed and juicy.

Busy attempting a last (most likely), rather damp lawn cut; some fallen fruit clearance required beforehand. 

Never had a crop of plums in what 7 years here; most we ever got was a couple.

14.8 °C and overcast.

Note the wellies. The wee one is running about bare foot. Drives Mrs SS mad due to the dirty feet that result. Wee one's stubborn about it though; that and not wearing a jacket whenever possible. The other day she says to (French) Mrs SS during an argument about putting it on 'I don't need a jacket, I'm Scottish!'Posted Image

post-9421-0-84333600-1381054076_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 9

Posted

SS, it might be the colour of the willies that puts her off.  Gender stereotyping doesn't go down well with tomboys!

Good to see your plums though; we had a good crop too, our red plums were all picked about 4 or 5 weeks ago!

Damn, I meant wellies!!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Only four days to go and I can legitimately post in here again.  Can't wait to get up to stay with friends in my most favourite place in the whole world (near Northernlights - so sorry about your calf btw, poor little mite), I shall be wearing my warm jacket SS as I see the temperatures are going to fall.  Still, lots of single malt, an open fire and the company of dear friends in beautiful Morayshire, when it is cold outside, can't be beaten in my book!  Diligently revising useful bits of Doric such as,  Fa's roond is it? 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Anticipation of first frost arriving this week. Not looking forward to chillier weather though!

Two batches of crab apple jelly done. Grass neat & trimmed ready for wintery weather. brambles mostly picked and ready to eat over winter or make into my fav jelly.

Loving the harvest SS.

My apples are not ready to pick yet.

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 4

Posted

Turned into a nice warm  blue sky sunny afternoon with a high of 18c. Foster calf onto cow .

Wintering sheep arrived last night all healthy but late this afternoon noticed one with a swollen face."Cheviot Yellows" caused by eating a plant that makes the sheeps face over sensitive to light.

Phoned vet which resulted in a drugs deal at the edge of the A96 vets words not mine. Had  a case this time last year so knew the symptoms. Will keep it in for a few days out of direct sunshine

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Posted Image

A little prelude to the proper winter season this week, with a glancing blow from a northerly bringing with it some sub 0C uppers with just the hint of some wintry potential for ground above around 700m in the north and northwest:

Posted Image

Looks even better on the ECM with the first -5C isotherm of the 2013/14 season popping up around the Northwest Highlands at +96 (Thursday midday):

Posted Image

A classic winter transition to follow too, with a 'toppler' easterly before heights transfer to mid latitudes for what in practice will be a decent period of weather for most, with a few showers here and there are a bit more persistent North Sea clag by the end of the week for the southeast in particular, with the promise of high ground generally fading by the weekend as we introduce a continental airmass. However, generally speaking, bright, cool with temperatures maxing out around 10-11C and with the odd touch of morning frost, particularly away from exposed coasts and where skies clear for longest.

I'm currently pretty busy standing to become an NUS Scotland delegate at the uni so I probably won't be around that much this week (barring the onset of an historically early massive upgrade and a subsequent rampede/TOORP cycle, which would be far more critical than my fledgling student politics career) but I'll certainly be back before the end of the month when maybe I'll even have an initial Winter Forecast for you all...

LS

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Oh, roll on Wednesday!  Posted Image  I loves the cold weather I does, anything is better than the cloying muggy stuff we currently have to endure. Better get chopping more wood this week, think I'm gonna need it! YESSSS!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The other day she says to (French) Mrs SS during an argument about putting it on 'I don't need a jacket, I'm Scottish!'Posted Image

Love it. Most kids just don't seem to feel the cold. I know our 6-yr old doesn't, which drives the wife crazy at times trying to get/keep a sweatshirt/jacket/gloves etc on him. Normally I'm content to let him decide when he feels cold or not, especially since I don't feel the cold much myself. The wife on the other hand can be wearing 5 layers of clothes when I'm wearing 2 and still be moaning that it's cold (it must be her English blood).

Anyway, after another weekend of enjoying the unseasonably warm and sunny weather I'm not sure I'm ready for that cold blast mid week. For a 'coldie' I've been kind of enjoying the warmth lately and might need a more gentle transition to the hoped for frigid winter.

• Like 1

Posted

Another humid sticky morning a bit cloudy but dry Currently 17.9c with an R.H. of 90% .Can see a lot of rain to the west however. Looking forward to the cooldown may sleep better.

Posted

I'm another one who would rather have cool bright days than this horrible dark pewter muck on top of us. I hate autumn at the best of times and this weather seriously gets me doon.

Posted

If you passed the spot where the big earth movers and lorries are playing, then look west, gimme a wee wave!  Posted Image

Edited by mardatha

Posted

Incredibly mild last night: overnight minimum around 15c!

Posted

Warm, grey & breezy: a bit boring but at least not unpleasant, in that I can go out in just a t-shirt still.  (Don't forget your pants, HC.)

Another weird thing... just searched gumtree for 'ar5â„®40le' in Inverness and it gave no results. But, wtf, there's loads in Inverness, how come none's for sale?

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Wet drive South, grey drive hame, roll on Winter. Looks like a nice crisp cold start to my flight to Gatwick on Thursday, might get to see this later in the week...

post-2849-0-34615200-1381182196_thumb.jp

SS, it must be a girl thing as my 2 are always bare foot and under dressed, whereas the 2 boys are the complete opposite, but I grew up bare foot near enough so doesn't bother me or the missus, yet, till they are oot in 6' drifts in flip flops and a t-shirt.

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 5