Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

also snow at the summit of nevis range aswell

post-18233-0-90772100-1381325667_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Glorious blue sky hre in Alloa, really biting and gusty wind though. We had a real BIG shower first thing this morning whilst I was travelling from Lochgelly to Alloa, skies darkened, car lights went on and the rain pelted down. Hoping for a proper chill tonight now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Very bright at points today , blustery, blue skies and brilliant sunshine.

Nice view on Satrep from the 0900 report with the Cold Front traversing the country on the jet axis.

post-7292-0-22604200-1381333953_thumb.pn

Eumetsat shows the Cold Maritime Airmass piling down from the Arctic. (Cold represents the Red Colour in this Image with the warmer airmass Greens and Yellows).

post-7292-0-58792900-1381334057_thumb.jp

The Beeb ran a story on UK airmasses over the weekend with a useful graphic, rPm - returning Polar Maritime excluded, so have attached the Meto document which may be of interest.

post-7292-0-73021500-1381334067_thumb.gi No._10_-_Air_Masses_and_Weather_Fronts.pdf

Higher resolution image from earlier today shows the classic pepperpot convection.

post-7292-0-64342800-1381334647_thumb.jp

Fax out to 0600 Thursday, the high neatly compacted to the west and ruler straight Isobars down the East Coast

post-7292-0-09658000-1381334759_thumb.gi

Brrrr Posted Image

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Down to 5C now - nippy! 

Was in Inverness earlier looking for an a.... no we won't go into that - anyway, some brave folk out in just shirts, although they did look a bit uncomfortable when the showers came on. Gosh some folk.

• Like 1

Posted

A bit chilly out!

Temp: 4.7C, Dew 2.6C, Wind chill 0.4C

Ok, you win - I can't persuade my thermometer to drop below 5C. The wind's died down too - could be a good day out tomorrow with white-capped mountains...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

At risk of repeating yesterday mornings post, Brrrrrrrr....5C, blustery and frequent heavy showers in Kemnay this morning at 8am. It was a pretty wild at times yesterday evening with sheets of rain being blown around in the strong wind.

HC, some people never learn, including our daughter. Yesterday she headed off to Uni in Aberdeen with no jacket, as witnessed by her mother. When warned by said mother that it was forecast to be rather wild, cold and wet the response was "No time, I'm late" while dashing out the door. Mother took pity on her and picked her up from the bus stop in the village at 7pm last night as it was lashing it down, horizontally, at the time. Will she have learned? I doubt it but next time she'll be walking home from the bus stop, irrespective of the weather! At least her younger brother had sense to put a jacket on yesterday morning when heading to school without having to be told.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Bought a nice cosy winter jacket the other week. It better be baltic this winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Is bloody baltic in my north-facing  kitchen this week, nevermind next ! Posted Image  husband is playing in his shed and keeps leaving the back door open!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Rather chilly but so well prepared with my best winter arran jumper and my new bodywarmer! Just perfect for dry blustery days. 

Ended up indoors most of the day instead of being outside as i thought i'd be, so bloomin roasted indoors!

• Like 1

Posted

Very cold today, gave blood this afternoon, even colder after..

Nice clear night and snow marching across the Continent. Popped this in the model thread too, rude not to share as I know some of you tend to avoid the madhouse at times.. 

post-7292-0-39509400-1381437683_thumb.pn
  • Like 8

Posted

Very cold today, gave blood this afternoon, even colder after..

Nice clear night and snow marching across the Continent. Popped this in the model thread too, rude not to share as I know some of you tend to avoid the madhouse at times.. 

Yes, I was looking at webcams of French alps to see if they'd got 1st snows yet, and so, they have: early mornings down to maybe 1500m then gone by mid afternoon on south-facing slopes.  More a problem of lack of ppn rather than not cold enough, the usual story till winter starts, then it can get silly...  Have to say I'm tempted to do a sly midwinter exit this year if work allows...

• Like 2

Posted

2c here first thing this morning and partially cloudy with touches of ground frost near the woodsand very little wind..

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Fair bit of snaw up cairngorm.

Came across this from the Daily Record.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/winter-arrives-scotland-snow-foot-2359241

Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Got down to 1.6c last night, temp now creeping up to a tropical 2 4. Beautiful diamond daybreak!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

woo! Hit -1C here and currently sat at 0C! Hard frost on the car still, luckily I'm going nowhere this morning as I'm not in the mood for frozen fingers and scraping. I'm pretty sure this is the first frost of the season for us here.

My girls had thought it had snowed as the grass was white, so had to explain on the school walk that it's a bit early for snow yet and that it's just frost!

Edited by over_the_rainbow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Yes, I was looking at webcams of French alps to see if they'd got 1st snows yet, and so, they have: early mornings down to maybe 1500m then gone by mid afternoon on south-facing slopes.  More a problem of lack of ppn rather than not cold enough, the usual story till winter starts, then it can get silly...  Have to say I'm tempted to do a sly midwinter exit this year if work allows...

yeah parts of the alps looking pretty impressive today for how early in the season it is hopefully we will see widespread snow like this in the months ahead

post-18233-0-69473100-1381503509_thumb.j

also posted this in the winter thread and thought I would post it here aswell saw it posted on twitter by MATT HUGO looking good for a -AO this winter

post-18233-0-60121200-1381503580_thumb.p

the CFS average for all runs over the last 10 days

post-18233-0-79043400-1381504493_thumb.j

nice pic of the snow caps on cairngorms today aswell

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

O/T but how low will it go? I think 870mb is the record. 

Currently down to 886mb Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/2013/adt/text/PHAILIN_N-list.txt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Posted Image

Been keeping an eye on this as well as it seems to be intensifying. Looks just awful! We go on about our weather here but at least we don't have to cope with the likes of this. Those poor people.

This is the latest update on signals for the 2013/14 winter season.. Amazingly,  yet again,  we have another month which suggests a fair bit of northern blocking.  Next month's will be the important one I think. Certainly thought provoking though.....

http://kasimsweatherwatcher.com/winter-forecast-201314/

Grey, chilly day here with max of 10.3c ENE wind.  Currently 8.3c. Haven't had a frost here yet you lucky dogs!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted

Nice Post BUS, great imagery, going to 'borrow' that one of the Cairngorms. 

Glorious day of unbroken sunshine and a max of 14.2 C - no wind - a belter here in the valley. 

Welcome along Aberfeldy ! Not spied you posting beofre - good to have you visit our thread !

Posted Image

This is just a freakish Sat estimate now, was watching this last night and it bottomed out at 910 before moving to 917 this morning. Now another Bomb phase. Unreal, sadly DEC - Disasters Emergency Committee area of devastation. This potentially is on par, if not worse than the impact of  Katrina 50-60ft storm surge.. 

It is on par with the Moore Tornado earlier this year where the fascination with severe weather is marred by a grim reality, stunning synoptics.

• Like 1

Posted

A couple of huge calves born today which need to come in  with their mothers and get help with their first drink but at least weather was sunny dry and almost windless.Currently a fine starry night and 2.5c. 

• Like 4

Posted

Brrr, boy has it got chilly. Was rather wet as we bounced down the runway at Gatwick yesterday, very blustery, then got wet as we broke down on M25 on route back to Gatwick and had to stand on hard shoulder, but boy what a sunset from 36 000 feet crossing the border.

Another cold day today with a beautiful clear evening again.

Nice to see the white stuff gracing the ranges, hope it bodes well for the ski season.

• Like 5