Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

that picture is actually how a few places might look over the weekend with the latest BBC forecast touting for 100+mm of rain Friday night and into Saturday with a big blob of green precipitation over us could be a few problems from this

Weather Warning

Thursday 17 October

YELLOW WARNING of RAIN

Rain arriving on Friday is expected to turn heavy at times, especially during the evening and on Saturday morning. The public are advised to be aware of the risk of localised flooding.

Valid from 1800 on Friday to 0800 on Saturday.

Thursday 17 October

YELLOW WARNING of RAIN

Rain arriving later on Friday will turn heavy and persistent on Saturday over parts of Tayside and Angus. The public should be aware of the risk of localised flooding.

Valid on Saturday from 0005 to 2300.

looks pretty miserable

post-18233-0-59247700-1382025284_thumb.j

soooo wish we were in winter and that was a snow producing front being forecast Posted Image

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 2

Posted

A grey dreich day here after a wet start, currently  8c. Ground still pretty dry dust rising when we are  pulling neeps. Some more calves born in the last 48 hours the end is in sight. No wind so calves and cows are still very content outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Yeah I know that one: you wake up cos of the rain hammering down and get caught by the double whammy of the rain and the jack-hammer snoring so takes forever to get back to sleep!

In the morning: 

'You're a bit grumpy this morning darling, didn't you sleep properly?'

'Fzagrmph blgrwnsk...'

Recommend: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Howard-Leight-Laser-Lite-Plugs/dp/B001G86Y4G

I'm guilty too though. Probably more guilty...

But then if you want to hear the rain on the roof, the wind howling... then snoring may be part of the package.Posted Image

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

We have boxes of these at work, happy to send a few plugs oot on trial before you buy. Personally I just give her a kick and it stops. Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Snow has arrived in Lapland. Welcome Winter 2013 Posted Image

http://alk.tiehallinto.fi/alk/kelikamerat/kamera-C1452100.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

We have boxes of these at work, happy to send a few plugs oot on trial before you buy. Personally I just give her a kick and it stops. Posted Image Posted Image

Shocking Cheggers, I am civilised and use my elbow. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Oi you lot are being very sexist Posted Image ! In our house it is most definitely the man that snores loud enough to shake the rafters! And I find a hard kick to the shins very effective. Posted Image

ooh and the rain we are expected - is it the big blob over Ireland at the mo?

Edited by over_the_rainbow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I was over by Kiltarlity early one morning recently, left home with 8C, was 3C at Kilt. So yeah for the snow, but no for growing tomatoes or a sensible heating bill!

When we had the Big Snow in winter 2009-10 (I think?! Memory going... the long six week Edinburgh-buried-under-snow winter), we had very low fuel bills, because we had to turn the heating down, due to a nice insulating blanket of snow all over our roof... tells us a lot about the house's lack of roof insulation normally, but that's structurally not really feasible, so now we just hope for long-lasting thick snow to save on heating!

• Like 2

Posted

Oi you lot are being very sexist Posted Image ! In our house it is most definitely the man that snores loud enough to shake the rafters! And I find a hard kick to the shins very effective. Posted Image

ooh and the rain we are expected - is it the big blob over Ireland at the mo?

well in my house its defo the other half that snores the most which is a right pain in the backside when trying to get to sleep.

yeah its the big blob working through the irish sea just now.

don't think its going to be as bad as they said yesterday on the forecast I saw as they seemed to backtrack quite quick and stopped showing Saturday on the telly.

• Like 1

Posted

When we had the Big Snow in winter 2009-10 (I think?! Memory going... the long six week Edinburgh-buried-under-snow winter), we had very low fuel bills, because we had to turn the heating down, due to a nice insulating blanket of snow all over our roof... tells us a lot about the house's lack of roof insulation normally, but that's structurally not really feasible, so now we just hope for long-lasting thick snow to save on heating!

if anyone is looking for insulation should try this stuff it works better than the usual insulation as it seals the whole roof area and if wanted you can stick your normal insulation back in aswell for added comfort.

plus extra bonus it seals your roof area and helps keep spiders out.

http://www.diysprayfoam.co.uk/

• Like 1

Posted

We'd love some insulation! But - and we've now had three different experts assess it and say nope - the problem we have is a typical Victorian semi-detached villa. the attic is four rooms, all used. Each one has a floor, and one vertical wall on the inside against the stairwell/cupola. But only small areas of ceiling (which are plaster over ceiling-lathes nailed to timber joists with zinc sheeting above that on the outside), and the rest sloping (which is slates on the outside, nailed to battens over timber joists with plaster-and-lathes on the inside). So the only way to insulate would be to put the insulation on the inside of the ceilings and slopes, and then plasterboard over that. We'd end up with small, low-ceilinged rooms being made a good two to three inches smaller in all dimensions by the time they'd made false walls/ceilings and filled the gap with insulation. So we just resign ourselves to the attic rooms being cold! My dad sits in his study wearing two jumpers and a tweed jacket, scarf, fingerless gloves and on occasion a hat and hot water bottle; and I have learnt to sleep in heavy pyjamas, socks, and for much of the winter a wool jumper over the PJs, under two duvets, a quilt, a blanket and in really bitter weather I pile sheepskin rugs and a couple of reindeer hide rugs I got in a local charity shop on top! And of course a stone pig ceramic hot water bottle. We just tell ourselves it's good character-building stuff that is good for our moral fibre! :)

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Gosh, wet here (home, at last) tonight.

Re the jack hammer... I've tried prodding, jabbing, kicking and shouting to try to stop the racket. When I get really desperate, I go to the sofa but I'd rather not. I tried earplugs but find them too uncomfortable for sleep.

BMW, you sound like my mum. Also, have you offered services to Ed Davey?

Have had winter tyres on now for 2 weeks - wondering whether I should take them off again for a while before they wear out. (All season tyres lasted 10k miles Posted Image .

• Like 1

Posted

I'm pretty sure I'm not your mum - I'd have noticed giving birth to a Hairy Celt, wouldn't I?! :)Dark and still here, with occasional showers. Rather nice, tbh. Autumnal and a day for staying in, cosy and knitting and eating cheese on toast for lunch!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm pretty sure I'm not your mum - I'd have noticed giving birth to a Hairy Celt, wouldn't I?! Posted Image

Dark and still here, with occasional showers. Rather nice, tbh. Autumnal and a day for staying in, cosy and knitting and eating cheese on toast for lunch!

I probably wasn't quite so hairy then, but no, my mum doesn't stay in the windy city, & doesn't drive a fast German saloon...

A grey, mild day... Got a bit done in the garden so can't have been too bad. The soil's feeling a lot damper than a month ago.  Young cabbages are growing well and should be good for greens from about April if the winter isn't too hard on them. 

A hint of something a little chillier next weekend perhaps?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Evening All - still drookit, particularly earlier this evening when it reached drooned rat status.

A little milder now and a fine moon.

October not the same as always with no frosts. Perhaps we will pay for that much later in Winter too....Posted Image

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning peeps! Mild with light cloud here today. Don't see temps plummeting for a whiley. Ach well, it's better than horizontal rain I suppose!

Posted

Been a wet 48 hours with 35mm of rain. Probably not a bad thing as August and September were dry here. October has been mild but very dull so far - only 27 hours of sun to date. The sun just briefly popped out, 11c.

Posted

Another mild grey day; tssk and tssk again. No enthusiasm for my constitutional today so dug a hole in the garden instead.

Remember the aspen photo at the beginning of summer with bright green foliage against a deep blue sky?

Here's the same tree two days ago; no blue sky this time, more's the pity 

The yellow foliage of aspen is often lost in the landscape in Scotland but in Scandinavia, where it's much commoner, it can be quite spectacular...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Broadly speaking, there's nothing *that* interesting in the current charts. The ECM looks a bit more promising than the GFS, with a decent northwesterly and uppers getting sub 0C if not quite sub -5C but mostly it looks to be a fairly mobile pattern, with the only sign of heights building in a sustained way being to the south rather than the north, which doesn't bode well for any sustained cold shots, but hey, it's extremely early days yet. Anyway, this is the ECM northerly toppler:

Posted Image

Mean heights for the Northern Hemisphere:

Posted Image

The 8-14 NH anomaly, with the first signs of the Polar Vortex revving up and low heights dominating the region to our northwest (better hope that clears off at some point or it might not be much fun, although I suspect it won't be a permanent feature)

Posted Image

Interestingly this seems to be driven by a fairly early predicted MJO event, which the GFS makes a far bigger deal of than the other models:

Posted Image

compared to the ECM which has a, perhaps more realistic, lower amplitude phase 1:

Posted Image

and the UKMO which actually pegs it back into phase 8.

Posted Image

The anomaly chart looks very similar to the October phase 1 composite:

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I come back after a weekend away to find more discussion about snoring than weather. Then again, I'm not a stranger to the sofa myself at times, on the occasions when earplugs or a swift kick are just not enough. I can be a light sleeper sometimes, which doesn't help.

Anway, I think we probably got the better of the weekend weather to the SW of Inverness. Only really rained overnight into Sat & Sun mornings, the rest of the time it was dry and mild. Didn't see much sun, but on Sunday it was around but only if you were out of the often extensive low mist.

Decent dry, sunny day in Dyce this morning so far.