Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When do members normally get their first frosts of the season

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Living in a valley we normally get our first frosts in late September.But due to the mild weather none as yet this season.Thought it would be interesting to see what other members experience.

Posted

Sometime in October but not every year, in the 17/18 years data I have we did not get an October ground frost in 5 years.

Air frost is less frequent in October with only two years recording them and both had 3, 1997 and 2008.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Seeing as I haven't been taking notice of the weather for more than three years I can only give info going back that far. Last year our first ground frost was in November, in 2011 we had a couple of light ground frosts in mid October and I seem to remember a thick ground frost on I think the 25th October 2010. So I reckon the average is probably around late October/ early November if these dates are anything to go by. Living in the south east they come a bit later than everywhere else.

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

First visible ground frost and air frost usually occur in October I'd say. We may get a ground frost in September infrequently, but I couldn't say for sure as I haven't been here for that long. On average, we  get air frost in September once every 10 years.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Ground frosts generally occur here in October, or sometimes mid-late September. It only got down to 3c in September though, so we're still waiting.

Air frost is usually late October, or November; very rarely earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Anytime now usually,had a lot of ground frosts in September 1985 and also a sharp air frost,maybe -3 deg which came from nowhere in October in the mid 90s.I remember as I had just done some rendering that day and was shocked as how cold it was the following night,luckily the render was ok

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

First ground frost here is in September, first air frost almost always by the end of October.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Dont usually get a ground frost until the second half of October and dont usually get an air frost until the second half of November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

We can have ground frosts in the summer.

So can favoured locations in England, Scotland and Wales.

Posted

We can have ground frosts in the summer.

this is the Met O listing of 3 stations in N Ireland but only for air frosts-hope this helps if you have not got actual data yourself?http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/19812010/by the way could you put your nearest town in your avatar please, it helps when there is interesting weather when we can all see what its doing-many thanks Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Around here I'd say that on average our first ground frost is in late October and first air frost early to mid November.  This year we came close to a ground frost in September, which is very rare but not unheard of.

Posted

We are in a frost hollow here so tend to get frosts early and late. Around early October would be average for the first frost. Temperature last night fell to just under 4C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Really depends, most likely October but it has happened on a couple of occasions in September, I've got a temperature sensor in a valley dip and it reads colder than the one in my garden by a few degrees yet each sensor are only about 100 feet away from each other, the difference is far more noticeable on clear cold nights but they both read similar through the daytime.

So it just depends on local topography of how the land is shaped and how "sheltered" a place is like a river valley etc. Also If you live in a very built up area like a city centre or close to a town centre you will have warmer temperatures in that regard because of the "urban heat island"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_heat_island

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

For where I live during uni holidays, in the Otter valley, east Devon: 

In terms of air frost, probably late October or early November on average, though in 2010 I had air frost on the 26th September.. min temp -0.1c.

2007: 12th November (evening)

2008: 22nd October

2009: 30th November (evening)

2010: 26th September

2011: 7th November

2012: 27th October (evening)

quite varied though as you can see.. one time late September and the previous year we had to wait until the night which took us into December.

For ground frosts it's earlier of course, September often gets within a few degrees of freezing, though I have no official way of recording ground frost.. however we had 3.0c on the 30th August 2010 and I saw a touch of frost in places! This year we got 4.2c in September at home so are probably still waiting.

On average probably late September, or perhaps early October.

Here near Egham it will be later in the year, as unlike home I'm not in any kind of valley or frost hollow. Not sure exactly when on average though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Not had one in Kent yet but I did notice on my drive into work last week there was a definate white tinge to the cricket pitch along the A22 into East Grinstead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

just checked met office and in 1993 we had had 20 air frosts by the end of November,6 in october

Posted

Last year - September 22nd.

2011 - November 5th

2010 - October 17th

2009 - October 7th

2008 - October 29th

2007 - October 25th 

2006 - November 1st

2005 - October 14th

2004 - October 9th

2003 - October 22nd

2002 - October 18th

2001 - December 5th....

2000 - October 21st

1999 - November 19th

1998 - October 8th

Don't know what the mean date is because don't know how to calculate it. But got 4137 days in total versus 5000 and something in every year added together.

Edited by smithyweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Usually Around about now. Clear cold nights after cool fresh days. Autumn frosts with foggy starts. Lovely dewy weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Here in Falmouth, the date when I may get my first air frost here this winter? Possibly NEVER! :D