Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ancient artefacts found in melting snow

knocker

Posted

An Iron Age tunic is among the discoveries found under melting snow on Norwegian mountains.

Other finds include Neolithic arrows and bow fragments, thought to be about 6,000 years old.

Snow on the Norwegian mountains, and elsewhere, is rapidly melting due to climate change, which is now unveiling a world of well preserved new discoveries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23849332

• Like 2

Posted

Obviously there was less snow when the artifacts arrived there, or did they dig down in it to place them - I think not.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Either that, Malcolm, or they were planted by the Great Warmist Conspiracy!

Seriously though...fascinating stuff!

Posted

Obviously there was less snow when the artifacts arrived there, or did they dig down in it to place them - I think not.

AGW was still to blame due to iron age man burning all those trees, and don't get me started on stone age man and his quest for fire. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

AGW was still to blame due to iron age man burning all those trees, and don't get me started on stone age man and his quest for fire. Posted Image

I thought it was the lightning that did it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

AGW was still to blame due to iron age man burning all those trees, and don't get me started on stone age man and his quest for fire. Posted Image

Quest for heat and light, and of course the fire that produced these was used for cooking and tool making.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Talking of ancient artifacts I'm wondering whether the tunic was worn by a sceptic,

Didn't know that the AGW scam was going, back then. Didn't turn out as bad as they thought, I'd say,but they did end up buried under snow....

Edited by laserguy

Posted

Interesting stuff..  It's great to see the evidence of warmer climates past that climate change brings.  6000 years ago, so not that long ago either..

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.....

• Like 2

Posted

Who's shot themselves in the foot? I don't see this discovery being evidence of it being warmer 6000 years ago. If you drop something anywhere and it is covered by snow that doesn't melt fully it will get buried. If this continues year after year it gets more deeply buried.

If some 6000 years later the ice and snow covering it melts as a result of warming and the item is revealed it is an indication of recent warming, not a warmer climate at the time it was dropped.

• Like 1

Posted

Who's shot themselves in the foot? I don't see this discovery being evidence of it being warmer 6000 years ago. If you drop something anywhere and it is covered by snow that doesn't melt fully it will get buried. If this continues year after year it gets more deeply buried.If some 6000 years later the ice and snow covering it melts as a result of warming and the item is revealed it is an indication of recent warming, not a warmer climate at the time it was dropped.

It means that there was thriving communities there,and presumably long periods of no/little snow and altogether more hospitable conditions. Who knows how many times over that 6000 years that the artefacts have been exposed and re-covered? Sounds like another desperate ploy to 'prove' AGW. Again.

Edited by laserguy
  • Like 3

Posted

It means that there was thriving communities there,and presumably long periods of no/little snow and altogether more hospitable conditions. Who knows how many times over that 6000 years that the artefacts have been exposed and re-covered? Sounds like another desperate ploy to 'prove' AGW. Again.

Not sure why the presence of a hunters tunic means that there must have been thriving communities? 

Not sure why the presence of thriving communities means that it must have been warmer?

The inuit cultures seem to have been doing fine in the polar/sub polar regions for thousands of years. 

I'm fairly neutral about the reality or not of AGW but the assumptions you have just made are somewhat sweeping in nature?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Sounds interesting, and I look forward to seeing what else is discovered. I notice that the article doesn't mention AGW, just that it's warming.

I think this thread is another example of how when it comes to climate, some people will perform all kinds of logical acrobatics in order to twist an item into suiting their pre-conceived ideas, and then use it to take a dig at the other side...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

In Alaska and Canada we've been finding stuff from up to 12,000yrs ago. This would indicate not only that we were in those areas at that time but also the snow patches were used by the large herbivores to cool off over the summer months ( as we see them doing in 'regular' snow patches today) so made excellent ambush spots for our ancestors.

It does beg the question as to why they are melting out today and not in the roman or medieval warm periods?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

They could very well of done GW. and even passed hands ?

Posted

It does beg the question as to why they are melting out today and not in the roman or medieval warm periods?

How could we know that - they would survive a brief uncovering at height of summer for the most part.

If people were living there quite happily that long ago it suggests conditions were at least as warm as they are now.

Posted

How could we know that - they would survive a brief uncovering at height of summer for the most part.

AIUI such fragment deteriorate very fast if melted or exposed so it seems reasonable to think this is indeed the first times they've been exposed since burial.  Wrt the thread I think Pete G has it right.

Posted

I thought this thread was about 'ancient artifacts'...?

• Like 2

Posted

Sounds interesting, and I look forward to seeing what else is discovered. I notice that the article doesn't mention AGW, just that it's warming.I think this thread is another example of how when it comes to climate, some people will perform all kinds of logical acrobatics in order to twist an item into suiting their pre-conceived ideas, and then use it to take a dig at the other side...

So what was knocker referring to when musing that the tunic may have been worn by a skeptic? Skeptic of what - alien life forms? I would have kept out of this due to its high boredom content, had it not been for the blatant prod. Boy, you warmists do wear your hearts on your sleeves.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

So what was knocker referring to when musing that the tunic may have been worn by a skeptic? Skeptic of what - alien life forms? I would have kept out of this due to its high boredom content, had it not been for the blatant prod. Boy, you warmists do wear your hearts on your sleeves.

I never specifically said which side my comment was directed at, because it works both way.

I think you're over personalising things a little LGPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I thought this thread was about 'ancient artifacts'...?

I do not think you can remove one from the other Pete? All the prog's/reports I've ever seen on this push to save artifacts is because they are now melting out at a rapid rate. As soon as they hit the air they begin to degrade and so any organics are lost over 1 season so the 'push' is now on to recover as much as we can before it is lost for good.

As for the 'tunic's' it would appear the best reason for them being discarded into Glaciers was that the victim had been caught short in a winter storm and so was suffering from the final stages of Hypothermia as the victim suddenly feels very hot and strips off to cool down......

Posted

I do not think you can remove one from the other Pete? All the prog's/reports I've ever seen on this push to save artifacts is because they are now melting out at a rapid rate. As soon as they hit the air they begin to degrade and so any organics are lost over 1 season so the 'push' is now on to recover as much as we can before it is lost for good.

As for the 'tunic's' it would appear the best reason for them being discarded into Glaciers was that the victim had been caught short in a winter storm and so was suffering from the final stages of Hypothermia as the victim suddenly feels very hot and strips off to cool down......

They've been digging Woolly Mammoths out of the tundra, for centuries, Ian...But, I'm yet to see any mention of the amount of snow lying around, at the time?

Posted

They've been digging Woolly Mammoths out of the tundra, for centuries, Ian...But, I'm yet to see any mention of the amount of snow lying around, at the time?

Indeed Pete and I think none of this as anything to do with what's going on today. I feel the dreaded letters AGW are about to derail another thread.