Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

6th-7th August 2008 thunderstorms. Anyone in SE England remember them?

Weather-history

Posted

Yes! Best thunderstorm that I can remember in recent years down in the Weald of Kent, started flashing on the western horizon around 9.30pm, and the show started properly from 10pm and didn't really stop until near 1am. Constant, frequent CGs, after what was a very hot and humid day (30C in some places).

• Like 1

Posted

Yep the 6th is my wifes birthday, which is why I remember this event even more, something that was amazing for this country was just how vivid the structure of the storms were and with some incredible Cg's none of this grungy rain laden mush, but more beautiful anvils and structure of the storms lit up and easy to see, like Staple these went on from about 9pm until 1am and were the best storms of the year for SE Essex.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, just after midnight on the 6th/7th I was sat out on the hill at the University of East Anglia campus watching the thunderstorm approach and capturing the lightning on video, and then of course made a hasty retreat as the storm came overhead.  There was also a good lightning display to the west late on the evening of the 7th.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers