Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Candles, lighters, wind up torches all at the ready, electric only here so if the power fails food and drinks will be cold only so I am shopping for some simple supplies (need to go shopping anyway so it is not like I am panic buying).

• Like 3

Posted

These hellicity charts look interesting but I don't understand them. Places that are off the scale on the wind shear, do they often see tornados or is it still very rare even in these perfect setups?

Also lightening is surely going to be quite spectacular in this storm, can we expect some wild looking lightening storms on the southern flank?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Just taken stock of what I have outside and what is nearby, then thought more about wind direction during the course of the storm passing through so I have a better idea now of what I may need to worry about etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

The warnings will be updated Saturday morning.Thats on their website.

Yes but update doesn't necessarily mean amber to red, it could just be a readjustment of the warning area. I'm only going by what the chief forecaster said, who presumably has a high degree of responsibility for this decision. Either way, I would be fairly surprised if we don't see a red warning for this, mainly because the forecast area for disruption is highly populated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers & Mild Winters

One good thing. Thankfully it is half term next week, and there will not be the usual school run or children walking to school at the worst time for the strong winds on Monday morning. I am off from work too and will be keeping mine indoors. I won't even be driving down to the coast for photo opportunities!

I don't have much choice.  I'll be driving from Kent to Worthing at 4.30 Monday morning to do 90 odd deliveries.  I'm taking my camera !!

Posted

Yes but update doesn't necessarily mean amber to red, it could just be a readjustment of the warning area. I'm only going by what the chief forecaster said, who presumably has a high degree of responsibility for this decision. Either way, I would be fairly surprised if we don't see a red warning for this, mainly because the forecast area for disruption is highly populated.

I know

Posted

I see the Express has followed the Star in calling it the MEGASTORM with 48 hours of "utter hell" :) Really does sound like some awful film you see on SyFy! Glad they're (well, Vantage) not going slightly OTT though - "potential to cause utter, near nationwide devastation" Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Dunno about wellies lol.

The only thing we bought extra was a couple of candles and a saucepan. We also are all electric apart from the gas to the boiler. We have a fire for heat if required and can cook in our new saucepan on the chimnea if the electric goes. We should be having a generator arrive today but even though OH paid for 2 day delivery, the email said Wednesday 30th.

Still long time in weather hours before we know for certain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Imagine if it misses us Posted Image place would go into meltdown. 

• Like 4

Posted

Anyone would think we're about to get carpet bombed and the start of a world war going by some of these posts. The charts are not showing anything close to 1987 (where gusts came close to 90mph gusts in London!) more like 60-70mph over quite a wide area of the south and higher for the south coast and extreme SE. Yes that can and does cause damage, most people won't experience anything much at all in terms of damage. Simple precautions such as candles and matches are enough, but you should have those anyway as powercuts can be random with or without extreme weather. Stocking up on food is a bit extreme lol!

Probably agree people are being over cautious here, If it was a blizzard in mid winter, fair enough. but it doesn't take long to free the roads of trees etc.

I think the key is not to take any unnecessary risks, or if you do, make sure it doesn't endanger someone else, like the coastguard or mountain rescue for example. I'm pretty certain none of them want to be out there in these conditions and they are properly trained pro's.

I think stocking food is extreme, candles yes, pan of water yes, maybe a camping stove if you have one and a good dose of common sense

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Well said Optimus and Karlos.

Posted

I wouldn't call stocking up on food extreme if you dont have the electricity to cook it with lol. A quick tinned meal on the gas hob will do the job just nicely.

Posted

Imagine if it misses us Posted Image place would go into meltdown. 

There was one in January 2004 I believe that was forecast quite similar to this but for it to never materialise. No joke they had 70MPH wind warnings out 12 hours before the storm was suppose to hit and in the end we got a light breeze and some showery drizzle in the morning but I believe it was quite gusty across the south coast... Some people might remember that on here and I believe the same thing happened again in 2005 or 2006 thus a brief war against the metoffice went on for a few hours.

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Sorry I'm being slow but can I ask why some people think this won't be as severe as 1987 great storm or 1990 burns day storm?

From models I've looked at it looks like it won't be either but this is a rare event and anything can happen just like it did in 1987 or 1990?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Anyone would think we're about to get carpet bombed and the start of a world war going by some of these posts. The charts are not showing anything close to 1987 (where gusts came close to 90mph gusts in London!) more like 60-70mph over quite a wide area of the south and higher for the south coast and extreme SE. Yes that can and does cause damage, most people won't experience anything much at all in terms of damage. Simple precautions such as candles and matches are enough, but you should have those anyway as powercuts can be random with or without extreme weather. Stocking up on food is a bit extreme lol!

Really? It's the people who do take precautionary action that annoy you? I can tell you don't work in emergency planning.

Posted

I wouldn't call stocking up on food extreme if you dont have the electricity to cook it with lol. A quick tinned meal on the gas hob will do the job just nicely.

I donno cold beans are underrated if you ask me. As long as your can opener isn't mains operated you'll be fine. If it is well i'd just open the can the night before to be on the safe side.

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

Its all relative, if you are a beer drinking student..it would be a laugh being without power, however if you have small kids, or a disabled family member then being, aware and preparing is sensible.

Also location,a town is likely to get power restored faster than rural where overhead cabling could be broken many times along your power route.

I would rather be ready and able to enjoy the power of nature,than thinking 'Oh sugar!!,i forgot about such and such'

as to mains gas going outI don't know as I don't have it,was merely mentioning a camping stove for people who are totally reliant on leccy.

• Like 2

Posted

Sorry I'm being slow but can I ask why some people think this won't be as severe as 1987 great storm or 1990 burns day storm?From models I've looked at it looks like it won't be either but this is a rare event and anything can happen just like it did in 1987 or 1990?

You've answered your question :)

Posted

Really? It's the people who do take precautionary action that annoy you? I can tell you don't work in emergency planning.

It's not annoying, I think putting into perspective is more apt. You don't see the Met office or news saying get to the shops and stock up on food do you?

If it hits as modeled it will cause damage, no question about it, but it is in and out in 12 hours.

• Like 1

Posted

Only the ones who build bunkers for an upcoming apocalypse. To be fair I don't think anyone will be stocking up on food due to this possible storm. For most shopping day lands on a Saturday so it'll happen regardless.