Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Either way, if that was Michael Fish's response, that's pretty poor for a man of his experience. He either doesn't know something he should, or just couldn't be bothered to explain it.

He probably didn't explain it because the vast majority of Joe Public couldn't give a stuff over why that phenomenon occurs. They just want to know if the wind will disrupt their day. AFAIK the phenomenon is to do with physics and the way centrifugal and coriolis forces interact? In a deeper low the coriolis effect is enhanced due to pressure disparities and so the curvature is more pronounced.

• Like 8

Posted
Posted · Hidden by J10, October 27, 2013 - Off Topic
Hidden by J10, October 27, 2013 - Off Topic

OK let's quickly deal with this. It's because the media, but especially the BBC, are very driven by the cult of celebrity. New faces are very seldom introduced on the Beeb. Even a dancing competition is for celebrities: contrast to the singing on the other side where ordinary members of the public can come through. Mr Fish is clearly a celebrity in a situation like this.

Right, back to the storm ...

• Like 1
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

He probably didn't explain it because the vast majority of Joe Public couldn't give a stuff over why that phenomenon occurs. They just want to know if the wind will disrupt their day. AFAIK the phenomenon is to do with physics and the way centrifugal and coriolis forces interact? In a deeper low the coriolis effect is enhanced due to pressure disparities and so the curvature is more pronounced.

In that case A) The question should not have been asked and b) the response is inaccurate IF there is an explanation - the question was asked in a way which tried to explain why a wider area of the UK (I.e a more northerly track of the storm) could be affected - to say because they have a mind of their own is not a decent response really Crew.  That to me is relevant and deserved a bit more IF there is an explanation behind this. 

Edited by P-M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Look at the Dutch making the best out of these surfing conditions! A good cam to keep an eye on too, as they look like they may well see the worst of this storm.

http://www.scheveningenlive.nl/surf-webcam/

LOVE that cam! Those windsurfers are superb and it's ideal conditions today on shore wind, sea's as warm as it gets. Wonderful! Wish I could be doing that, but I sold my board yonks ago.

Edit: looks like some sort of problem as there are 2 trucks, one like a fire engine on the beach and before that what looked like a life boat left at speed.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This is what the current winds are doing around the West Country so far. This one is in Bristol;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

And this is on the A30 just outside Yeovil;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

And the winds are only going to worsen in these parts over the next 18 hours. Shows that even a modest wind gust can bring down trees in the south.

Indeed, only 40mph gusts here so far and already 1000 homes without power thanks to a fallen tree in nearby Pangbourne. Half-expecting to wake up to no power in the morning.

Posted

xcweather is reporting gusts of close to 60mph on the coasts of Wales/SW England. Around 30mph here in Manchester/Bolton atm.

• Like 1

Posted

A good point there AWD. I think some are underestimating the potential effects of this system when looking at the slight downgrades on windspeeds.

Leaves are off the trees blocking drains and causing slippage on rail tracks already. Throw in yet more heavy rain on saturated ground and the very real risk of damage caused by trees and I think this could be nasty for many reasons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

LOVE that cam! Those windsurfers are superb and it's ideal conditions today on shore wind, sea's as warm as it gets. Wonderful! Wish I could be doing that, but I sold my board yonks ago.

Edit: looks like some sort of problem as there are 2 trucks, one like a fire engine on the beach and before that what looked like a life boat left at speed.

They are some skilled windsurfers I must say! Could be rip currents possibly? 

That cam in 12 hours time will be interesting with considerable sized waves i should expect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

xcweather is reporting gusts of close to 60mph on the coasts of Wales/SW England. Around 30mph here in Manchester/Bolton atm.

Can't be sure of the exact mph, but I'm in SW Wales and the gusts do seem quite powerful when they arrive! Don't expect it to get any worse though if I'm honest - although added with some heavy rain it may seem worse! But no, don't really expect the winds to get much stronger tonight.

Posted
  • Location: Petworth West Sussex - Selsey West Sussex - South Norwood Greater London
  • Location: Petworth West Sussex - Selsey West Sussex - South Norwood Greater London

As I have said I am no expert, I am in a gully part of the south downs so what kind of wind strength are we expecting and when if possible ?

Posted

Latest NAE has the storm becoming very severe in the North Sea, very tight gradient there

That north coast of east Anglia could get the worst of it as the winds swing northwest onshore

Posted Image

Edited by Matty M
  • Like 1

Posted

As I have said I am no expert, I am in a gully part of the south downs so what kind of wind strength are we expecting and when if possible ?

Check out the South East regional thread later this afternoon and look out for John Pike's informative posts he should be able to give us the low down for our specific area.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well.. despite all the crazy chat here.. 80mph already recorded in Wales.http://www.itv.com/news/wales/update/2013-10-27/80mph-gust-already-recorded-in-wales/and a tree has given up it's solid ground.Ehttp://www.itv.com/news/wales/update/2013-10-27/high-winds-bring-down-tree-near-aberdare/

That was a squall, no widespread gales over wales today, and not related to tonights low.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

12Z NAE is about 2mb stronger and a little further north.

Posted Image

Potentially very windy off East Anglian first thing tomorrow according to the 12z NAE. Also could be some impressive wave heights somewhere like Cley or Blakeney Bar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I was wondering this. My guesstimate would be that it has something to do with the interaction of the atmosphere vs the sea (or lack of it) in that part of Europe that seems to lead the storms up the channel rather than across straight to middle Europe.

The problem is that the gfs does not give us a rapidly deepening of that low until its exits the uk and turns more left towards the near continent because of its rapid cyclogenisis and the the jet aloft making a left exit. If the low makes an earlier explosive development just before getting to the Uk then its likely it would be further north over England and Wales than what its predicted now......Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

looking at the met office again, gust speeds are pretty much the same as today for monday morning now for hereford.. fingers crossed things arent as bad as they could be on the 2pm update.

Posted

Can't be sure of the exact mph, but I'm in SW Wales and the gusts do seem quite powerful when they arrive! Don't expect it to get any worse though if I'm honest - although added with some heavy rain it may seem worse! But no, don't really expect the winds to get much stronger tonight.

It's windy but no gusts above 37mph here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

I just did the vegetables for tea, and its windy.