Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Good Day for Doing The Washing

Timmytour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

The thing is....now the dark evenings have arrived....I've got to pick my days for doing the washing if I want to get it dried in sunlight or at least some good old fresh air.

It's no use me getting up early in the morning, putting a wash on, getting it hung up before i go to work only to arrive home in the dark to find that, if it did did ever dry, it's got all damp again.

So I'm starting up this thread in the hope that knowledgeable people on here can alert me to the fact that an ideal day for drying the washing is coming up.....ideal in that it will be dry, it might be sunny and it won't get too damp in the early evening.

Thank you  Posted Image

Edited by Timmytour

Posted

Daft idea or not maybe...why don't we have washing lines that are undercover or can be placed beneath one.. Bit like an elongated brolly? considering our rainfests..so long as they're not wind proof can't see the problem Posted Image

Fancy going on Dragon's den, TX1? Posted Image

Seriously though, drying clothes at this time of year is a pita. It seems like as soon as you put it on the line the heavens open. Take off, put back on - rinse and repeat. You then have to accept defeat and hang them up inside. Posted Image

Edited by March Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Get one of those cheap gazebo frame covers from argos and put it over your rotaty line,it can rain all it likes.Alternatively CHECK THE FORCAST before you put out the washing on a morning ,its not going to get wet again when the sun goes down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Or, why not just buy some new clothes once the old are in need of washing? Until Spring/Summer at least Posted Image

On a more serious note..ahh can't think of one right now lol..

2nd hand dryers are very cheap now and if you cut down 100 trees you can off set your carbon foot print.

Or was I supposed to plant 100 trees ? Posted Image

post-7914-0-48904200-1383343411_thumb.jp

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Get a Dri-Buddi, about a quarter the price of a tumble drier and works just as well.

Outside is risky all year round here, I left a load outside that night in late Sept when it was forecast guaranteed dry, at 8am it was lashing down.

Posted

Fancy going on Dragon's den, TX1? Posted Image

Seriously though, drying clothes at this time of year is a pita. It seems like as soon as you put it on the line the heavens open. Take off, put back on - rinse and repeat. You then have to accept defeat and hang them up inside. Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMtnTdvVU7w

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

This time of year washing (just like washing floors) is a mare as you need moving dry air for both.  Sadly I have no solution ( I did buy a retractable indoor washing line but never used it ), currently waiting for the first load to finish and then will bung it on the airer in the spare room (no where else for it to go)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I went for it this morning.  seemed as good a day as I'm likely to get from hereon in this weeke and perhaps for the rest of winter.One thing I'd forgotten to take into consideration was my north facing garden and the height the sun was going to have to get up to in order to get at least some bit of sunlight on them.Now I've got to hope there's a bit of wind out there, a bit of sun, the clothes get dry and don't get damp again in the two or three hours of darkness there will be before I'm home to get them off the line! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Always a pain drying clothes outside of April-Sept as you've got to be super organised (to get it out early enough) and super careful (to get right combo of dry & warm). In my old place I didn't even try as no matter how sunny it was overhead none of that sun would strike the washing and it'd never dry. I did one year of stringing it round the radiators but its pretty labour intensive as you have to keep it moving to allow all items access to the warm spots - plus we ended up with damp/mould issues in the house and if clothes didn't dry fast enough the lovely 'damp dog' smell would linger on them. So since then we just used the dryer which did a fine job of ruining clothes extra fast!

Just getting a new washer/dryer for this flat but as ever will look forward to the ease of drying things naturally and quickly out in the fresh air come spring!