Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC Weather forecasts and news reports from mid December 2009 to mid January 2010

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

All in all a truly exceptional spell of severe wintry weather Kev. Maybe not so much here as in other parts (e.g Greater Manchester), but severe nonetheless.

-17.6 in Woodford....brutally cold.

P.s am I the only one sad enough to get goose pimples whilst watching some of these reports??

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted

This period of weather was a notably very difficult time for forecasters - it was an unusually very cold mobile pattern with trough features, low pressure systems galore popping up out of nowhere - the BBC struggled at times to forecast amounts and position of snow. I remember the weather maps showed a sprinkling of snow in these parts 20th-21st - however we ended up with near on 10 inches of the stuff.

All the same a great period for winter snow enthusiasts - not quite on a par with late Nov 2010- Dec 2010, but more interesting in some respects guessing where the snow would fall next.

I would like to see some forecasts from around the 6-9th december 2009. I have just had a look at the synoptics again from this period and it was indeed a very unusual evolution to the cold we saw develop from the 16th onwards. Looking at the charts of the 9th December - yes there were building heights to our NE and europe, but also a very deep low pressure system out to our west which you would have thought had enough oomph to it to barrell its way across the country - indeed we had just endured the wettest November on record with the atlantic onslaught in full gear.

What happened on the 10th-12th was quite unusual, heights building over the country and then retrogressing NW towards Greenland ushering in an easterly and then northerly/north easterly airflow with the atlantic cut off. When heights built on the 10th-12th again it looked like they would have built NE into scandi as opposed to NE.

I bet the forecasts from around 8th-9th were late in picking up the signal for build of heights over the country by the 11th. i certainly remember being very surprised to see these heights build at the time.

Posted

I would like to see some forecasts from around the 6-9th december 2009.

Rob McElwee at his eccentric best at the end of thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaeVPUID6n8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j5RngXh7UEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6CInRnqRshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5GOUS4yiWA