Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Report 2nd Novemeber

Tom Lynch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9
at 2.20 on Saturday 2 November Old Hutton was hit by a thunder storm containing lightning and lots of hail. After the hail stopped every was dark the farmer I spole to said the wind stopped and it became very calm and the noise like thunder but continuous . He found it hard to describe a train or rushing wind . He went down towards the end of the farm building and was shocked by the sight of what he described as a large cone which looked like it was down to the ground , it was about 30ft wide he could see how far it went up. as it lifted debris it took it anti clockwise and lifting it up. Dropping it further up the yard. Everything was flying everywhere.

a peace of metal roofing sheet was lifted and transported 100 mtrs up the field and wrapped around a tree. Pieces of corrugated roofin...g where embedded in sheet metal cladding. Yet right next to that plastic guttering which was hang loose was left where it was . Barn doors were taken off their hinges. Pieces of roofing sheet were embedded in the walls at 90 degrees to each other which tells me that at that point there was severe circulation at that point. The metal gable of the barn was hit side on and has a large concave dent. The roof was removed in many locations and the farm house suffered extreme damage to the roof and chimney stacks.

as we walked the length of the farm the farmer was picking up debris and there were Crab apples strewn everywhere but there is no apple trees in that vicinity.

If it was a tornado it hit a tree and took half the branches off 100 mtrs SW of the farm thern hit the farm and then a load of trees 100 mtrs NE of the farm.

A farm wall was demolished at low level and grass in the fields had been flattened in different directions. damage could cost thousands to repair.

The damage path was 300 mtrs long. By the time I was finished taking photos I was covered in cowonions. The farmer very kindly hosed my shoes down but mu pants were covered. He said ,you are going somewhere are you I said I had a meeting to go to, he said well you will be alright if you stay down wind of people
See more
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

•  
  •  

I have to thank the farmers and their families for allowing me to call on them. Border TV featured it on the news but their weather man was reluctant to say it was a tornado. I said that I am sure that we could determine from the evidence what it was. I could do with someone looking at the radar from 2.20pm on Saturday 2 Nov for OLD HUTTON . The farm is just to the east of the M6. I saw the storms on the radar green with envy. It looked tasty but I was in Preston. I am fairly confident that is was a tornado.

I will attach more photos the metal building which had the lump of corrugate sheet sliced into also has had something travel down the side. I guess it was carrying debris because it looks like each time whatever it had picked up hit the metal wall it took the paint off at one point it even put a hole in the metal as it moved down the side of the building. Trees had been uprooted but I had to get back to work,

Needless to say but they also had lots of roof sheets and slates blown off.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Numerous lightning strikes with amazing loud thunder in horrendous conditions accompanied by howling winds and large hail here along the north east coastline.

• Like 1