Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why do we love snow & cold weather?

meathead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Obviously this question is directed at people who love the cold and the snow.

What is it about the snow and the cold that you love most? Why do you like it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

it looks pretty lol. i have no idea why i love the cold probably because it is a break in the mediocrity of the usual drab grey mild stuff i always see here. i love other extremes as well though not just snow and cold i love a good storm and heavy winds.

Edited by gary1365

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Coz it's winter and there's nothing nicer then snow and sunshine. Plus endless amusement over people who can't drive in it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

A number of reasons I presume - it's a novelty; a break from our usual tedious fare. It looks pretty. It brings back memories of our childhood. It beats rain any day.

As for myself - a combination of all of the above plus more. If it's mild, rainy and 10C, it just doesn't feel like a proper winter - especially if it falls on Christmas Day. Plus, our typical winter is defined by lots of cloud and a bare landscape, as well as lots of mud - and it doesn't take much rain to get lots of mud - even snow melt or frost will help. Snow helps brighten things up during the darkest time of the year and make things look pretty and cheerful and covers up the bare, dead-looking trees and any other unsightly things.

Also, nothing quite beats sitting in a warm room with the fire on, looking outside to see snow falling while you drink a nice hot cup of tea, coffee, hot chocolate or a bowl of soup - anything hot basically!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

As long as it does not last weeks at a time I do not mind the snow and cold, plus as above, it makes everything look pretty and clean making for a fantastic photo op with nature and pets etc (Horses in the snow being my fav), I can then use them as templates for artwork at any time of the year when the weather out is poo and I stop in instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Oh and when it is cold out I tend to whip out the slow cooker more and make various stews which smell fantastic when their aroma drifts through the house (even better if it has been on all day and you walk in the door after work).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Clear blue skies, brilliant sunshine and a white mantle of snow is a beautiful sight.

07 Dec 2010 here was class! complete whiteout, thick rime with deep blue skies, and the rime never thawed, was snow on the ground as well, and loads of ice after a partial thaw on Sat 04 Dec

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Let's put it this way:

This..

Posted Image

..is infinitely better than this..

Posted Image

Edited by cheese
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Coz it's winter and there's nothing nicer then snow and sunshine. Plus endless amusement over people who can't drive in it.

Some people can't walk in it either. Posted Image

Posted

It's fun if you are able to get out and enjoy it, and it looks nice, air is generally clear and clean. I appreciate that for some people it means that they are housebound when it snows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Buggered if I know why! All I know is that waking-up to a level-foot of snow is like nothing else. It's one of Nature's wonders...

Posted

On a personal level - it always changes the 'feel' of things for me - a break from the usual drab dank feel we often have to put up with throughout the winter.

It is a beautiful sight - the fells always look magnificent under a deep white coat.

Urban landscapes also look much better when covered in snow, hiding the grey/blackscapes, and often enhancing the look of buildings, making features stand out markedly.

Yes it can be a major obstacle for travelling, generally getting out and about and I can emphathise with those for this reason who don't like it.

• Like 1

I hate to go against the grain but I'd prefer a good gale storm or wonderful warm sunshine. 

The british media and some forecasting services over cook it, still it is nice to see my kids get excited about it...

..."Right, wheres that low going to now?"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Why? Cos I'm still a kid at heart and as a kid there was nothing more magical than waking up in the morning, opening the curtains, seeing inches of snow lying, running into your parent's room and jumping on the bed yelling "It's snowing, it's snowing...can I go outside?" I've seen that joy in my own kids over the years too and my youngest is still at the age where that excitement still exists.

Confession though, anyone else secretly hate when their kids go out and mess up the pristine cover of snow in the garden? Posted Image

Other reasons to like it. We get plenty of wind, rain, sun etc but even in NE Scotland snow is not a weather type we see very often so it's a nice change. It alters the landscape and there's nothing that beats the countryside under a blanket of snow on a cold, crisp, sunny winters day. There's a chance I'll get a day off work (although despite some fantastic snowfalls around here in recent years that's only happened once, but I've delayed my departure to miss the worst of the traffic a few times). I get to go skiing.

Reasons not to like it so much. The roads can be utter chaos and getting to or from work can be a nightmare. There's a chance I'll get stuck at work (although for some strange reason I'm always more determined to get home from work than I am to get to work if it snows). I worry if my wife is out driving in it and can't enjoy it until she's safely home. It can be awful when it's melting and I hate that 6 inches of slush stage.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

As a child it was like being transported to another world and 2nd only to Christmas in the excitement it gave. Sometimes even more so due to the surprise factor. I still get that feeling now even though I'm in my 30's. I have to get out in it ASAP.

It is also one of the few occasions that bring people together. Neighbours seem to talk more and strangers say 'morning' with a big smile on their faces.

Although we would all probably want more of it in this country the fact that it happens occasionaly makes it special, so even though we can all get frustrated at times I'm happy to live in a country that makes it so special.