Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 25/11/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I've got a good feeling about 5th December being the start of a snow fest lol Posted Image

Well hold back on the cigar if you subscribe to Gibby's latest thoughts on Winter 2013/2014:

December looks like beginning largely settled and benign across the UK and although there looks like a few temporary unsettled and windy spells it looks unlikely that these will last long as High pressure regains control from the SW repeatedly through the month. 
The incidence of snow will be below average, especially in the South while Northern regions may see some short-lived wintry periods as cold NW or North winds follow passing depressions to the North.
January 2014 looks like becoming much more unsettled and potentially quite stormy at times as powerful depressions pass over the UK from the Atlantic. As a result there looks likely to be periods of very wet weather with gale or severe gale force winds at times and just brief drier and brighter intervals. The driest conditions look likely to be over the South and East of Britain where it looks like it could become quite mild at times while elsewhere temperatures will be closer to average. Any colder weather looks transient and more likely towards the end of the month and in the North when conditions may become less wet and less windy. Snowfall and frost will be below average and possibly well below average across the SE with some very mild days. Gales look likely to be more frequent than average with sunshine amounts suppressed from what we would normally expect in January.

February will be a more changeable month with still some wet, mild and windy weather to be found for all areas. However, this looks like the month when snowfall could make an appearance at times, though I feel it will not be terribly disruptive in the South of Britain. Most of the risk of snow will come from Northerly outbreaks meaning the North and East become most at risk from heavier snow. 

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/NEW-Winter-Seasonal-Prediction(2922573).htm

I'm still open minded, but it's interesting to see Martin's view on things for this Winter. Who knows eh? Posted Image

Edited by Coast

Posted

morning alll

well its cold this mormning but whot a nice day tho was out at 7.00 this morning after my job was done i went for a long walk very nice...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Well been testing the water a bit more with some mixed media painting, using watercolour and gouche to try and get an "out of focus" effect, will let you know later how it goes when the paint has dried.

Looking out and seems to be getting duller as the day draws on and a whopping 4.4oC now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Afternoon each. Lovely and sunny here in Ippy and not that cold really. Well.....I don't think it is but I'm known for being extremely 'hot- blooded' in my family.

Now....I know I'm being a bit obsessive but I'm still looking for a possible explanation to that object of the coast in Felixstowe. It's NOT Sealand cos I recognised that. It looks like an island of some sort with trees (I know that sounds daft) and it's about 7 miles off the coast. Please help if you can cos its driving me and my niece daft.

Hope everyone well and happy. :)

Posted

Now....I know I'm being a bit obsessive but I'm still looking for a possible explanation to that object of the coast in Felixstowe. It's NOT Sealand cos I recognised that. It looks like an island of some sort with trees (I know that sounds daft) and it's about 7 miles off the coast. Please help if you can cos its driving me and my niece daft.

Afternoon Grace!

is it the Cosco Harmony?

post-6667-0-92973600-1385468441_thumb.pn

http://www.vesselfinder.com/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

might have to venture out soon as need to post a letter and pay a bill, looks nippy out still mind but dry (might have a hot shower first)

Posted

Afternoon Grace!

is it the Cosco Harmony?

Posted ImageShip.png

http://www.vesselfinder.com/

Hi Coast. Yes.....it very well may have been. I guess being so far out she would look a bit wierd, and there was a white structure where the sun caught it. Plus....she is due into Harwich today. But they (container ships) seem to move very slowly.

Thanks matey. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all and thanks for the good wishes.

I was a beautiful sunny trip into and out of London and didn't really feel cold at all.

The pre-op assessment went well, except for my daughter fainting when they tried to take bloods, which they failed miserably at, and which will have to be attempted again at a later date.  Just got to wait for the operation date which will be done at Stanmore.

I can now settle down and relax and study all things weather related. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Hi Coast. Yes.....it very well may have been. I guess being so far out she would look a bit wierd, and there was a white structure where the sun caught it. Plus....she is due into Harwich today. But they (container ships) seem to move very slowly.

Thanks matey. Posted Image

On ordnance survey maps, 'Sealand' is marked as 'rough tower' and it doesn't look like there's anything similar in its vicinity. I'd go with Coast's thoughts. If the object was in close proximity to 'Sealand' it was probably a very large ship. Edited by Steve C
  • Like 2

Posted

I guess being so far out she would look a bit wierd, and there was a white structure where the sun caught it. Plus....she is due into Harwich today. But they (container ships) seem to move very slowly.

There's a few big ones out there if you look at the link, could be any one of the larger container ships as it's probably relativity clear today? 

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the OS Map too, I'm wondering whether Grace might have seen a ship behind a sandbank to create an illusion, especially if the tide was quite low?

I know Grace said that the object was to the north of Sealand (Rough Twr here) so it can't have been Cork Sand shown on the map, but there are certainly a number of other sandbanks off the coast here.

post-11059-0-26894000-1385473703_thumb.p

Posted

Looking at the OS Map too, I'm wondering whether Grace might have seen a ship behind a sandbank to create an illusion, especially if the tide was quite low?

I know Grace said that the object was to the north of Sealand (Rough Twr here) so it can't have been Cork Sand shown on the map, but there are certainly a number of other sandbanks off the coast here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Celeste Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
Ha ha! Or even........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Dutchman

Or Atlantis..Brigadoon etc. Thanks Steve and Coast. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Morning all,

I can see (and feel) why there were so many gritters out in MK last night, a sub zero night with a thick frost here - still zero degrees now !

Deffo an UGG boot day when I eventually venture out....might even look out my thermal vest as well Posted Image

You know why i really laughed at that !!!!;))

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

For anyone looking for snow!! www.levi.fi and go to webcams. Its banging down with snow right now and its -9c. puts pay to the theory its too cold to snow lol

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon each. Lovely and sunny here in Ippy and not that cold really. Well.....I don't think it is but I'm known for being extremely 'hot- blooded' in my family. 

Just been out, I didn't think it was cold either, but Southernman insists it was very nippy.For some reason, and not what we went out for, we ended up stocked with mixed pickle, picalilly, and branston, all things i can't stand.

• Like 1

Posted

Most of the risk of snow will come from Northerly outbreaks meaning the North and East become most at risk from heavier snow.

Well, that's us in the triangle, isn't it? The East?Maybe its "our" year for it.

• Like 1

Posted

We seem to have found a stray cat, well one who seems to think we are it's new home, so will probably call out the cat rescue centre or something like that if he comes back again. Lovely little thing, came running into the house and sat on my lap.

you're sure its not an escaped wolf?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-25091939

Posted

Most of the risk of snow will come from Northerly outbreaks meaning the North and East become most at risk from heavier snow.

Well, that's us in the triangle, isn't it? The East?Maybe its "our" year for it.

You almost always do way better out of a northerly than I do, where you are. If it's a straight northerly, there's probably 80 odd miles of land to cross which really kills the showers, before I have any chance, even though I'm actually only a mile and a bit from the sea. I need an easterly component generally. Posted Image

Posted

you're sure its not an escaped wolf?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-25091939

I see two were shot dead and the third escaped one must be in mortal danger. Apparently the tranquiliser can take up to 15 minutes to take effect and even though the chance of a wolf attacking a person would be negligible, our risk averse, health and safety bullocks culture couldn't stand for that. Posted Image

I hope it wasn't some yob who damaged the enclosure fence. Posted Image

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 1

Posted

The third wolf has been shot dead. Everyone around Colchester can now sleep easily! :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Evening

CFS time

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interesting, but the 850s are the wrong side of marginal.

Scandi high sees out the year

Posted Image

raw and dry pretty much, maybe some drizzle/snizzle

Precipitation - (-1) - Pretty dry apart from some showers early on.

Temperature - (-2) - Starts off pretty cold, then gets really cold (1-3C) with a biting but dry easterly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

The third wolf has been shot dead. Everyone around Colchester can now sleep easily! Posted Image

I share your sentiments poor wolves.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

They shot the wolves dead?Posted Image   Why not tranquilsers ? Wolves are such magnificent creatures...they deserve so much better than the  treatment meted out by humans

• Like 7