Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish devolution and the weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

With the vote for Scottish devolution now less than a year away it occurred to me that if there were to be a 'yes' vote would it mean that Scotland would have its' own meteorological agency in the same way that Ireland has Met Eireann?

If so, does this mean we would no longer hear Scotland and scottish weather mentioned on the national weather forecasts?

Perhaps the two countries are too inextricably linked physically and meteorologically for this ever to be the case, after all Ireland is separated from most of  the rest of us by the Irish Sea, but it does raise the question as to whether the Met' Office would cover what remained of Great Britain or all of it as it stands now.

Perhaps Scotland would have to pay England for their services?

Answers on a postcard to Alex Salmond.

• Like 1

Posted

Personally I don't see any need for a nationalised weather forecaster.

If Scotland does vote for independence I will lobby Government to give Net weather the gig.

Providing that GP comes back on here and we get full access to the ECM suit of products.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

With the vote for Scottish devolution now less than a year away

Ehm...we already have devolution, it's a vote for full Independence that's being held next year.

Of all the things that might sway my decision either way, even for someone more interested in the weather than most, whether the Met Office and/or BBC still produce weather forecasts for Scotland is way down the list of priorities when it comes to making a decision.

Anyway, it's already been agreed that, freed from the shackles of England and it's mild, wet, mushy weather patterns, an Independent Scotland would have cold, snowy winters and warm dry summers every year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Ehm...we already have devolution, it's a vote for full Independence that's being held next year.

Of all the things that might sway my decision either way, even for someone more interested in the weather than most, whether the Met Office and/or BBC still produce weather forecasts for Scotland is way down the list of priorities when it comes to making a decision.

Anyway, it's already been agreed that, freed from the shackles of England and it's mild, wet, mushy weather patterns, an Independent Scotland would have cold, snowy winters and warm dry summers every year.

Aye you're quite right, I did know it but still put devolution; perhaps someone could change the title to independence.

It was a rather tongue in cheek question in the first place, I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to find the matter a vote changer.