Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

A nice calm sunny day here.

This week looks to start off cloudy across Scotland and get sunnier on Wednesday before Thursday into the weekend is currently looking very cold with wintry weather for most. Something to watch as the week goes on closer to that time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Is that the northerly over then all that fuss eh (haha joke) , lets see what ECM brings to the table!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Poor Comet ISON reduced from a snowball to a piece of graupel: Posted Image

http://www.isoncampaign.org/karl/a-trail-of-questions

• Like 1

Posted

Some exciting potential for cold and wintry weather for a time next week but its important to remain cautious as details probably will change between now and then. But at least it looks like we're set to get some seasonal weather at the start of the festive period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

I find this Site useful. Look at the temperature - 0C at sea level Thursday night and doesn't go positive on Friday:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cairngorm/6day/bot

Posted

A nice calm day here with hazy winter sunshine and a mid afternoon temperature of 5c .Currently 1c with a ground frost.

Thousands of  geese covering the neighbouring farms 200 acres of grass this afternoon. Noticed too today that all the holly trees surrounding the farm have been stripped of all their berries. Bird models say prepare for winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A nice calm day here with hazy winter sunshine and a mid afternoon temperature of 5c .Currently 1c with a ground frost.

Thousands of  geese covering the neighbouring farms 200 acres of grass this afternoon. Noticed too today that all the holly trees surrounding the farm have been stripped of all their berries. Bird models say prepare for winter.

Quite a few berries on the hollies here. Perhaps you'll get a mini polar low over your way...  Had a good walk to the lighthouse earlier, the firth was almost glassy in places which is unusual by the afternoon. Western cloud spoiled what was developing into a decent sunset tho.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

U have Liverpool on your coupon HC?? It was a decent game to be fair!! Not got much knowledge of this polar low u all talk of so about to go and research it...hope you enjoy the panto Lorenzo.....have to say I am a big kid and love panto....seen Gerard Kelly the year before he died in the kings and it was fantastic...the kids lap it up aswell...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

U have Liverpool on your coupon HC?? It was a decent game to be fair!! Not got much knowledge of this polar low u all talk of so about to go and research it...hope you enjoy the panto Lorenzo.....have to say I am a big kid and love panto....seen Gerard Kelly the year before he died in the kings and it was fantastic...the kids lap it up aswell...

Try the. Net weather guides in the learning area. John Holmes did one on Polar Lows. Can't link as on kids I thingy.Currently 1.8C here with mostly clear skies. Max was 6.9C
  • Like 1

Posted

Just left the bin out and the car is frozen with thick ice (must have been a passing shower earlier). Currently 0.8C (-0.6C/hr).

Amazingly quiet in here all day given the Mother of all Northerlies is incoming at T+96 and possible Polar Lows (bows in obeisance) to boot!

Edited by Highland Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

It may be quieter in here due to te 12z suggesting a reduced risk of snow really. The cold is nailed and will be very potent for the time of year but without the magical white stuff it won't be particularly memorable. Certainly from an IMBYism Stirling and Dumfries were never well placed and now it would seem very unlikely that either would get a covering but you never know. If I was living in the NW highlands I would be a different story, also uppers usually get upgraded as the time gets nearer so temperatures with any snow cover and clear skies in the long nights could be at least double digits below possibly -15

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Panto was fantastic, much cheerier place to be than looking at the models this evening. Allan Stewart and Andy Gray are superb.

post-7292-0-64901700-1385933267_thumb.jp

Kids loved it. Only the second show of the run so plenty of stuff going wrong, lines forgotten, props going wrong, timing all out. Added to the fun, won't mention much else as don't want to spoil it for folks who might be going this month.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It may be quieter in meter here due to te 12z suggesting a reduced risk of snow really. The cold is nailed and will be very potent for the time of year but without the magical white stuff it won't be particularly memorable. Certainly from an IMBYism Stirling and Dumfries were never well placed and now it would seem very unlikely that either would get a covering but you never know. If I was living in the NW highlands I would be a different story, also uppers usually get upgraded as the time gets nearer so temperatures with any snow cover and clear skies in the long nights could be at least double digits below possibly -15

From what I can understand of today's models is that for us in Scotland it's still on for a cold blast.  What I'd worry about is if the cold uppers are in place early enough for us to get snow. For me yr .no has us getting over 13mm of rain on Thu with a temp of 6 degrees before it turns colder,  but drier.  Then again it's early to predict exact rain/snow fall patterns and being in NE I'm probably better positioned than most since we can do ok from a northerly and will probably hold the cold uppers longest. 

Not a bad day here today. Felt colder than the 8C the car thermometer said,  especially when the sun went down. Clear skies and no wind means I expect to be scraping the car tomorrow morning. 

Posted

Would you believe it? I spent time today getting my vicarious snow-fix by looking at those Finnish traffic cams and what happens? My browser starts advertising Finnair!  Have to say I was about to make my case for a kilted NW outing to Lapland - don't we go through this ritual every winter...?

Still mild out tonight. SS, what was your home-brewed recipe for screen-wash again?

Posted

Try the. Net weather guides in the learning area. John Holmes did one on Polar Lows. Can't link as on kids I thingy.Currently 1.8C here with mostly clear skies. Max was 6.9C

thanks Norrance..... john holmes is a legend!! fantastic explanation and excellent relevant links

• Like 1

Posted

Just left the bin out and the car is frozen with thick ice (must have been a passing shower earlier). Currently 0.8C (-0.6C/hr).

Amazingly quiet in here all day given the Mother of all Northerlies is incoming at T+96 and possible Polar Lows (bows in obeisance) to boot!

everyones camping oot at Lidl to get their weather stations :)

• Like 3

Posted

looking very much like a 48hr blast of extremely cold uppers....having read up on the polar low there is clearly a chance of an amazing 48hr period to start winter in style or just an incredibly bitter dry 48 hr period also possible.....whatever happens its gonna be freaking cold and interesting couple of days coming up model watching....always the chance of upgrades

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

models not looking too good today from my point of view although the 12z GEFS had a few trying to develop heights over Greenland but never came to much.

not had time to do much looking over the models today in much detail been way too busy so decided to venture into the nuthouse shouldn't have bothered lol

does anyone know who this OLDMETMAN is and did he actually work for the met or is he just jerking our chain cos he seems to want to go against the models pushing the high pressure back over us.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78631-model-output-discussion-30th-november-onwards/?p=2851334

lets hope he is right and we get more from this northerly and never know some height rises around Greenland even for a short time might not be out of the question.

this from him as well

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78631-model-output-discussion-30th-november-onwards/?p=2851365

get the feeling I have asked who he is before but too tired to think right

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

I think he is genuine but couldnt say for sure.....lets just wait and see what tomorrow brings.......I think the greeny high is coming......dont know when but its coming

• Like 1

Posted

I think he is genuine but couldnt say for sure.....lets just wait and see what tomorrow brings.......I think the greeny high is coming......dont know when but its coming

there is still a possibility in the models for it but we would need decent upgrades.

but hey nothing is impossible.

see if some amazing turn around happened and we got a decent greeny then would the scandi high be where the GFS is showing us is next lol

wonder if LS or LORENZO could tell me as I wasn't checking last year did the failed easterly that vanished at I think 48h last winter show in the strat charts as well.

Posted

main block of snow moving west and Europe should see some snow in the days ahead

post-18233-0-76553100-1385952370_thumb.gpost-18233-0-46469800-1385952382_thumb.g

Posted

Yeah he's been posting a while and is always a voice of sanity in the madhouse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Still mild out tonight. SS, what was your home-brewed recipe for screen-wash again?

See below.

Just water, denatured ethanol (sorry HC, no drinking unless you want to go blind) and a couple of drops of fairy liquid per 2 L prepared wash.

You can buy denatured ethanol online. I found this just quickly on amazon. 

Would make 17 L of -10 for ~£24. Or roughly twice as much for -5 C.

Could well be better deals with a bit of searching.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denatured-Ethanol-B100-Specific-Alcohol/dp/B00EIFTW0W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1385974610&sr=8-6&keywords=denatured+alcohol

You can make up a strong mix, e.g. 50/50 for screen de-icing with a spray bottle. Don't use pure as it could slowly damage rubber seals / wiper blades.

post-9421-0-19837300-1385975008_thumb.pn

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted

See below. Just water, denatured ethanol (sorry HC, no drinking unless you want to go blind) and a couple of drops of fairy liquid per 2 L prepared wash. You can buy denatured ethanol online. I found this just quickly on amazon.  Would make 17 L of -10 for ~£24. Or roughly twice as much for -5 C. Could well be better deals with a bit of searching. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denatured-Ethanol-B100-Specific-Alcohol/dp/B00EIFTW0W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1385974610&sr=8-6&keywords=denatured+alcohol You can make up a strong mix, e.g. 50/50 for screen de-icing with a spray bottle. Don't use pure as it could slowly damage rubber seals / wiper blades.

I switched from using ethanol in my homemade screenwash to methanol, you need a lower percentage for the same freezing point and it gets rid of the salt stains off the windscreen better. Plus you don't get that wiff of jakie every time you hit the screenwash.
  • Like 1