Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted

I've got a feeling this thread could be busier than the model thread itself over the next few days.

It's very poor stuff from my perspective, it really is. It's not like recent weeks have been anything to write home about either. I just hope we're not sleepwalking into a December like 1988. Even 2006 brought us a week or so of cold, foggy conditions as the high parked itself over us for a time. All this high wants to do is sit to the south and laugh at us.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

I've been half expecting a mild winter but all is not lost yet. Many of the very cold winters we had in the late 1970s and early 80s we didn't see much wintery weather on run up to Christmas. I think we will have to wait until around turn of year to see any proper cold winter weather.

The winter of 1947 didn't start until late January so there's always hope, but this certainly looks like an exceptionally mild December.Every now and again it looks as if this winter is trying, but it always seems to fail miserably.Still, Mr Mild will be pleased.

All this high wants to do is sit to the south and laugh at us.

Yep, the dreaded Bartlett high.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Mods should name the model thread "The Hunt for Cold" like they did last year as thats what 95% of the members are actually doing.

It's sad seeing the same few wind-up merchants falling over themselves to jump on others posting about signs,options and possibilities for cold in FI.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

A very tentative sign of change in fl on the 0z, high tries to get into green land, doesn't make it though. Something that will probably disappear next run.

Posted

Express Front Page, this morning

'Storms on way at Christmas'

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/409807245015134208/photo/1

Yeah, and a Daily Express Journalist just flew past my window !!

And their source or should I say "sauce" is JP himself.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

We all hate Bartletts We all hate Bartletts. GFS less keen this morning ECM shows the beast constantly reforming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Mods should name the model thread "The Hunt for Cold" like they did last year as thats what 95% of the members are actually doing.It's sad seeing the same few wind-up merchants falling over themselves to jump on others posting about signs,options and possibilities for cold in FI.

Couldn't agree more, soon as anyone does that the same few posters quickly appear and start throwing around hopecasting accusations..... won't name names but they know who they are.
  • Like 3

Posted

Spring in winter today and for the rest of the week it would seem. Moray Firth area expected to reach 13/14 C at some stage.

Another "modern" winter looms.

• Like 1

Posted

Couldn't agree more, soon as anyone does that the same few posters quickly appear and start throwing around hopecasting accusations..... won't name names but they know who they are.

Well, there doesn't seem to be and "cold" anywhere near the British Isles at the moment, and the rest of December seems decidedly mild.The lunchtime weather forecast mentioned there was very little snow on the Alps, so anyone booking an early ski trip is likely to be very disappointed. Moscow's the only place with any significant cold.I hate to be pessimistic, but once the weather gets itself into this kind of pattern it can be very hard to shift.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The weather station in Church Fenton reached 12C on 6 December 2009. We also reached 13C on Boxing Day 2011. We reached 12C on 22 December 2008 and 13C on 23 December 2012. Double-figure temperatures in winter is not unusual at all in the UK. 2010 is the only recent December to not have exceeded 10C at all.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Spring in winter today and for the rest of the week it would seem. Moray Firth area expected to reach 13/14 C at some stage.Another "modern" winter looms.

So you have a crystal ball then that's telling you a "modern" winter is looming, so what's it telling you about next week's lottery results?
  • Like 3

The weather station in Church Fenton reached 12C on 6 December 2009. We also reached 13C on Boxing Day 2011. We reached 12C on 22 December 2008 and 13C on 23 December 2012. Double-figure temperatures in winter is not unusual at all in the UK. 2010 is the only recent December to not have exceeded 10C at all.

I can remember recording 14c at midnight in January a few years ago during a Bartlett! Yes not unusual at all for any winter month really.

Posted

We had a 10C min in early Jan 2013 and a 14C max later in the month, and sandwiched between those mild periods was a pretty cold period with snow with a max temp of -2C on the 16th.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Well, there doesn't seem to be and "cold" anywhere near the British Isles at the moment, and the rest of December seems decidedly mild.The lunchtime weather forecast mentioned there was very little snow on the Alps, so anyone booking an early ski trip is likely to be very disappointed. Moscow's the only place with any significant cold.I hate to be pessimistic, but once the weather gets itself into this kind of pattern it can be very hard to shift.

Thats the thing Peter, everyone on the model thread knows this, its not like the coldies are kidding themselves, its obvious what the models are showing and how bad its looking from a cold

perspective, they're not in denial, they're looking for signs and discussing possibilities and options that would need to happen to bring colder options but other members are jumping on them with smarmy sniping 

remarks which are stating the obvious that everyone can see for themselves.

Without the coldies ever optimistic searching the model thread would be dead at present.

• Like 4

Posted

it amazes me why people get so surprised if we have double figure temps in winter, yes 10c 11c is above normal technically, but temps of 10c 11c are very normal for this country to have in winter, and 10c is closer to the winter average than 0c lets not forget, i of course hope for snow and moan a bit when the weather is mild and the charts look poor for cold, but deep down i now this sort of weather we are having right now is far more common than snow and ice days esp for my location

• Like 1

Posted

My weather station seems to be malfunctioning, its stuck in the 9C range, 9C all through the day, 9C all through the night, every

day just like the last. I've got the 9C blues.

Posted

In my opinion anyone being pessimistic about this winter, despite what the charts are currently showing need to go check the date, we're only 9 days into winter for gods sake!!

Yes the pattern we're currently in can last along time, that's not too say it will!! Although going by some of the posts in the mod thread it appears some members have time machines as they seem confident the whole winter will be a right off if it's cold and snow your after.

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like the USA is the place to be, i'd happily give my nads for a taste of this right now. Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0qBQ7CRcTg

• Like 1

Posted

If anyone is yearning for cold, then maybe you should try taking a trip to the north of Sweden:

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ord=REV&ndays=30&ano=2013&mes=12&day=09&hora=18&ind=02081

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ord=REV&ndays=30&ano=2013&mes=12&day=09&hora=18&ind=02036

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ord=REV&ndays=30&ano=2013&mes=12&day=09&hora=18&ind=02095

Or is that too cold? Posted Image

Here's the Pajala webcam. Hardly a soul to be seen over the past 48 hours.

Posted Image

http://www.webbkameror.se/webbkameror/pajala/pajala_2_live.php

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Ouch, --38C average today, thats just too cold for me.

I've been in Prague at --20C, if you stopped moving then you felt it nipping. 

• Like 1

Posted

I do not understand why people are getting so uptight in the forecasting forum.  Talk about doom and gloom!!! It is only the 9th.  I am off to Alberta in Jan and boy they really know how to do winter!! -35 when last there. We would get a taxi for a very short journey for dinner as it was so cold but love the landscape in the snow.   Snow and ice walking and dog sledging.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I do not understand why people are getting so uptight in the forecasting forum.  Talk about doom and gloom!!! It is only the 9th.  I am off to Alberta in Jan and boy they really know how to do winter!! -35 when last there. We would get a taxi for a very short journey for dinner as it was so cold but love the landscape in the snow.   Snow and ice walking and dog sledging.

Shed a tear, have a rant, did it change the actual weather?...

...nope, still not what a person wanted (shame). forescasts aside the real deal does not change and best you make of it the best you can as life is too short not to.

• Like 1

Exactly, a record breaking cold spell could be around the corner for all we know. But people seem to think they can write months off. The famous Winters didn't get going until after Christmas. Also It's not as simple as saying 'the pv is strong so we can't get cold', what an easy job it would be for forecasters if they thought 'lots of purple on this chart, Winter's going to be mild!'

yeah this is why weather forecaster is a degree and career of many years XD 

• Like 2

Posted

We had 12C today and 13C expected tomorrow.

Still, long range charts this evening show the high pressure over Russia and trying to build into Scandinavia as well as Greenland, but it'll probably change again tomorrow.