Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 08/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Morning all.

A grey start here earlier on, but the sun is trying it's hardest now to live up to our 'sunshine coast' reputation Posted Image

A few more hours today to complete the Christmas lights then it's switch on time later when it gets dark!

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

A bit of disturbance in the atmosphere on Saturday then a brief return to what we have now, but what's that showing up towards the end of the current GFS run - a drop in temps and the 528 dam thickness over us???

Posted Image

I've yet to be convinced, as so far it's a whole load of this:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. :)

Quite a lot of cirrus cloud over us here, with a temperature of 7C.

Being a bit damp underfoot and mild, it feels like late autumn, rather than winter.

Posted

Morning All,

Not a bad morning out there so far - OK, not wall to wall sunshine, but enough to brighten the mood - and heaps better than the weather was last week!

Things aren't looking too promising for snow this side of Christmas, but there's always January, February and even March to look forward to (and snow in April isn't unheard of!)

SR

• Like 4

Posted

morning all, i was told by nurse today that its chilly outside, feels ok in here though, usually it gets chilly inside if the temperature drops.i've noticed quite a few very light coloured floaty spiders (real ones) on the walls in the past couple of days, wonder if they're looking for somewhere to spend winter/ these ones don't bother me, they seem very friendly, if a spider can have emotions.

Morning All,

Not a bad morning out there so far - OK, not wall to wall sunshine, but enough to brighten the mood - and heaps better than the weather was last week!

Things aren't looking too promising for snow this side of Christmas, but there's always January, February and even March to look forward to (and snow in April isn't unheard of!)

SR

it snowed very hard one day in june in the 70's i remember it very clearly as we were at a zoo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

morning all, i was told by nurse today that its chilly outside, feels ok in here though, usually it gets chilly inside if the temperature drops.i've noticed quite a few very light coloured floaty spiders (real ones) on the walls in the past couple of days, wonder if they're looking for somewhere to spend winter/ these ones don't bother me, they seem very friendly, if a spider can have emotions.

it snowed very hard one day in june in the 70's i remember it very clearly as we were at a zoo.

Probably June 2nd 1975.

I think the sunshine awoke a bluebottle somewhere near my house yesterday and it ended up in my bedroom. :angry: The damned thing was pretty lively too. Fly spray needed...

Posted

ANOTHER INTERESTING THING I HAVE DISCOVERED IN BROWSING THE WEB, WITH ALL THE GLOOM ABOUT IT NOT BEING COLD YET, IS THAT THE TWO WINTERS WHICH ARE TOUTED AS THE WORST LAST CENTURY, 1947 DIDN'T TURN SNOWY TILL LATE jANUARY AND 1963 DIDN'T START SNOWING TILL BOXING DAY.I THINK WE ALL IMAGINE THAT IN THOSE WINTERS, SNOW SET IN AT THE END OF OCTOBER OR SOMETHING.

oops blasted caps

Edited by JennyJane1
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just got into work after attending Ian Currie's talk on Frosts, Freezes and Fairs, based on his book of the same title.  I mentioned in the thread a few days ago, that myself and Tamara were lucky enough to meet him the other evening and had a thoroughly enjoyable discussion with him, all weather related of course.

He's such an interesting guy to listen to and talks with great enthusiasm and passion for his subject. I mentioned to him that it might be an idea to organise one of his presentation talks around a Regional meet-up, perhaps. They are certainly worth going along to for our members, who obviously have more of an interest in Meteorology than the average person in the street. There's plenty of his books on sale, at these talks, in fact I bought the book that the talk was based on and I find all his books a really good read for someone who has more than just a passing interest in all things weather.

I'll be having a chat to him again soon to see if he can give us a few dates in his diary next year, where we could possibly organise something, plus dates of upcoming talks in general.

Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 6

Posted

I'll be having a chat to him again soon to see if he can give us a few dates in his diary next year, where we could possibly organise something, plus dates of upcoming talks in general.

Tom.

That sounds really interesting.hopefully next year i'll be able to attend a meet, i'd love to put a face to some of the names i've been bantering with over the past few years.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi Jenny.

He really is an interesting guy to listen to and actually performs these presentations throughout the region, sometimes further afield too. Don't know if you've read it already but he had his Norfolk/Suffolk Weather book on sale at the talk I attended, this morning. I have read the Kent and Surrey editions and I'm sure Tamara will confirm what a good read they are and a must for weather enthusiasts, from our region. and it's great to relive some of those weather events that we've all experienced down the years.

Tom

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Beautiful sunset this evening once again the colours remind me of when I used to use Microsoft Flight Simulator with an add on called real enviroment extreme. Stunning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

Milder day here, only seemed to brighten up in the last few hours though, been mostly dull all day here, but dry and calm.  Today should have been my RDO but short staffed and such meant I was needed at work (at least I get it as OT, which is rare for us on salary).  Been trying to think if I need to go out for anything but I think I have enough of the things I need so no visit to the shop seems to be needed today (w00t as it means I an not spending any off my fast dwindling money supply).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Evening all

CFS time

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Precipitation - (0) - Dry start, turning wetter later

Temperature - (0) - Starting cool but turning a bit milder later

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I know but at least it gives us time to get properly prepared...MK council have been out checking all the street lamps which is good news...

post-10773-0-22504300-1386613841_thumb.j

...and at least this way we can enjoy Christmas without any disruptions and maybe have time to restock on essentials when there is room in the freezer again...

post-10773-0-73948900-1386613926_thumb.j

Sounds like a really great idea Tom, I'd be interested depending on date and location - and I could bring my copy of his book along to get signed Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

gfs ensembles for 12z

Posted Image

again from the 13th on a spread of around 15 degrees upper temps

nice to see the drop on the 20th still there

lets look at 144 on the models to see the difference

ukmo

Posted Image

Posted Image

now ecm

Posted Image

Posted Image

well ecm and ukmo certainly differ

that low is confusing these again and even the uppers are different here as well

now gfs

Posted Image

Posted Image

gfs and ecm have subtle differences but are at least closer

so again lets see how the models handle this low before looking any further ahead

• Like 3

Posted

Only Bartlett I ever liked (hot or cold)

Posted Image

Oh how I miss the best TV series *EVER* made.

Posted

hi chris

yep Posted ImagePosted Image  ( for newcomers no)

Posted Image

i like this chart

if the low goes slightly south and 2 runs later keeps going east we would see some nice charts showing

all fi etc but at least it beats the current boredom Posted Image

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=240&mode=4&map=0&type=0&archive=0

run this and you can see the jet shifting slowly south and i will stick with what i have said before that this is the key to getting the cold in place

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Contrary to many on the MAD thread, I thought today was a decent enough day, plenty of sunshine (especially during the afternoon here), more to come over the coming days. At least it isn't overcast all the time.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Evening all!! Quite chilly ish here, with a bit of fog drifting up to our garden from the field.

• Like 1

Posted

I put the frost cover on the car as a quick trip out seemed to indicate it may freeze again tonight (sod what the anglia forecast said on TV)

Posted

The only saving grace for the charts leading up to Xmas is the Jan 1984 look of the charts, those are some very low temps being shown in the upper air so it's possible that with a few tweaks, we could see some wintry weather down here!

Posted

I have got the cough of all coughs today and it does not want to sod off!

Edited by Jax