Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe Atlantic storms over the Christmas period

Coast

Posted

I hope its not too bad,here in West Yorkshire,Bingley recieve some bad winds with features like that been shown due to winds funneling through the valley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

MetO predicts 55-65mph inlands gusts for the London region on Monday night with 70-80mph around SE coastline! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I saw this little low sub-low pressure on the forecast charts yesterday, but it wasnt showing as a low pressure then. Now it does look like a dangerous potential storm.Looking towards Christmas day it is almost impossible to know the positioning of those storms... and if you really want to look at the 27th December.! Ouch! 

Posted

No mention of this feature tomorrow at the moment from the met office.  Seems only the GFS that really develops it into a potentially disruptive low.

I'd have thought that if there was a real cause for concern at 36hrs out more would have been made of it. Will be interesting if the GFS is on to something, or if it is up to its usual tricks of over developing a low.  It has been there for the last 3 runs now though ..... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The hi-res NMM model also develops a very intense wave running through N England. See my previous post. Posted Image

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78796-possible-severe-atlantic-storm-christmas-day-and-boxing-day/page-4#entry2867005

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The new Euro4 from the UKMO doesn't even entertain the idea, neither does the NAVGEM, the NAE keeps it shallow too..

post-15177-0-90583600-1387539755_thumb.g post-15177-0-24000400-1387539767_thumb.g post-15177-0-78484300-1387539777_thumb.g post-15177-0-40298900-1387539789_thumb.g

The WRF really ramps it up..

post-15177-0-36320200-1387539800_thumb.p

I'm sure the MO have their eye on this, it's quite possible that a flash warning could be issued but I have a feeling that the 12Z on the other models will flatten this out to nothing more than a slight wave, we'll see at around 15:45 ish.

Monday is looking a nightmare though, particularly in the south, warnings are bound to be added/extended, probably for rain and wind. Posted Image

Well, the MO have added warnings for winds on Monday and Tuesday, nothing regarding Saturday at this stage.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387756800&regionName=ee

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

First warning issued for Saturday, locally gusts up to 90mph. 

Think i'd have waited until this evenings runs first... 

post-9615-0-02672300-1387540352_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

MetO predicts 55-65mph inlands gusts for the London region on Monday night with 70-80mph around SE coastline! Posted Image

No thanks.

• Like 2

Posted

Hi liam, is the warning above from met office?

Ric

Posted

Latest GFS not stacking up well for Monday for the South:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I feel like a boxer who's been caught on the ropes and the opponent keeps punching even though the referee says stop!

• Like 4

Posted

First warning issued for Saturday, locally gusts up to 90mph. 

Think i'd have waited until this evenings runs first... 

Posted Image52b42f1bec8d83f84100000f.jpeg

XC weather is predicting some very high winds tomorrow upto 82 in wales and even inland its higher than I`ve seen..

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met office have early warnings out for strong winds and heavy rain on Monday and Tuesday

Issued at: 1142 on Fri 20 Dec 2013

Valid from: 0600 on Mon 23 Dec 2013

Valid to: 1200 on Tue 24 Dec 2013

A very deep area of low pressure will bring very strong winds and heavy rain to much of the UK from Monday morning, through to late Tuesday morning. There is the potential for widespread gales with gusts of 70 mph for much of Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, southern and northwest England. Gusts of 80-90 mph are possible, with the greatest likelihood of these values across west Scotland. The public should be aware of the potential for significant disruption to travel due to the very strong winds and also the risk of some flooding issues thanks to the heavy rain.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

An area of low pressure is expected to develop in the Atlantic on Sunday, deepening rapidly to pass just to the NW of the UK on Monday and into Tuesday. This will bring stormy conditions to the UK on Monday and Tuesday with the strongest winds likely along coastlines exposed to the south and west. Heavy rain is expected with this low pressure system and given recent wet conditions some flooding issues are possible. With such a rapid development there remains some uncertainty around the precise depth and track of this system, and hence the areas most likely to be affected by the strongest winds and heavy rain. This alert is likely to be updated in the coming days.

Issued at: 1223 on Thu 19 Dec 2013

Valid from: 0600 on Mon 23 Dec 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Mon 23 Dec 2013

Another intense area of low pressure is expected to track close to the UK during Monday. Associated rain and strong winds may again affect southwestern parts of England which remain saturated following earlier heavy rainfall. The public should be aware of the increased risk of localised flooding and possible disruption to transport. This warning is likely to be updated over the coming days.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

The very unsettled run of weather is expected to continue into the pre-Christmas period with another intense area of low pressure developing over the Atlantic and tracking close to the UK. Current indications are for southwest England to be most at risk from further heavy rain and gales. There is also a 20-25% probability of an intense low tracking across England and Wales to affect much of the south. There is still considerable uncertainty in the potential for severe weather and this warning will be updated as events unfold over the coming days.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387756800&regionName=uk

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like a Metcheck map Richie.

Correct! Posted Image

Meto not mentioned it yet, confidence not high enough to warrant a warning at this stage. 

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Correct! Posted Image

Meto not mentioned it yet, confidence not high enough to warrant a warning at this stage. 

They have I've just been on MetO's website and they've issued Yellow wind warnings for most of the exposed parts of the UK for Monday afternoon into Tuesday morning gusts of 60-70mph widely look possible with perhaps as much as 90mph in the north-west, here check for yourself > www.metoffice.gov.uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Gulp, I'm going to a party on Sunday down in Penzance- not looking promising for travelling home on Monday morning by train even!