Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 22nd December 2013 - 2014 onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just light rain here. The Sheffield shield raised one eye brow and front started to split.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the front managed to beef up a little now up to 2.2mm for the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Squall line off Wales looks like it could be intensifying a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Met office rainfall prediction has the squall line feature breaking up over me and being stronger to the north and south, that would not surprise me if that happened. However, the wind is getting up out there now and we had a decent squall about an hour ago. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Wind picking up in Ippy now. But no rain yet. It's looking pretty wild.

Posted

Best lightning I have seen in a while... Over at Knaphill and car alarms ETC went off... 

just a minute... was it the north supposed to be the best risk for lightning this evening,  what a shocker the south has nicked itPosted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

just a minute... was it the north supposed to be the best risk for lightning this evening,  what a shocker the south has nicked itPosted Image

Posted Image

For now.. Posted Image  Something possible overnight and tomorrow, when our chances here in the north are highest.

Posted

Once again, Chelmsford seems to have sucked the life out of the rain band. Chelmsford has that effect on humans too.

• Like 2

Posted

I do believe this squall could produce something

Interesting for the NW of

England over the next hour or so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Hope that squall brings something here! Had 2 flashes and 2 rumbles of thunder here earlier which was good to see at the beginning of Jan!

Edited by Karl83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Huge Waves to batter Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly tomorrow: http://www.cciweather.co.uk/#/cornwall/4573724902

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Thunderstorm here in London Posted Image

Rain rattled roof and thought I heard thunder earlier! eased now.

Just reading on Two site in their thunder and convection thread: http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12241&p=4  - some chat about the strength of winter lightning. â€‹I agree that the bolts could be more powerful in discharge strength, I think one thing is that lightning is not as common during winter (away from the sea) but the energy possibly builds up more and holds off from discharge for longer before the bolt of lightning then takes place, so a bigger perhaps more powerful bolt/strike, we could say several strikes in one bolt?

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Once again, Chelmsford seems to have sucked the life out of the rain band. Chelmsford has that effect on humans too.

What a cheek- we were voted the 10th best place in the country to live and so it cannot be that bad!Posted Image Posted Image

Yes we did not have a lot of rain with the last lot that went through.

Dave

Posted

Rain rattled roof and thought I heard thunder earlier! eased now.

Just reading on Two site in their thunder and convection thread: http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12241&p=4  - some chat about the strength of winter lightning. â€‹I agree that the bolts could be more powerful in discharge strength, I think one thing is that lightning is not as common during winter (away from the sea) but the energy possibly builds up more and holds off from discharge for longer before the bolt of lightning then takes place, so a bigger perhaps more powerful bolt/strike, we could say several strikes in one bolt?

I too agree. We've had -CG strikes over the house in both winter and summer. Generally speaking, its loud no matter what time of year it is but I have noticed in summer it will rattle windows and rumble on for a while but in winter it's much louder, much sharper and 9 times out of 10, sets the car alarms off within a 5 mile radius of where the sferic hits.

• Like 1

Posted

^ greater temp contrast in Winter or during colder weather between lightning discharge and actual air surrounding it..hence, usually bigger sounding bangs for your bucks.

I see! Makes sense when you think about it, cheers for that!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

So lightning in cold air is more powerful? I think some of the biggest and loudest summer storms occur when the cooler air is there after a heatwave. I noticed storms most likely usually happen on the coldest day after a heatwave..

Posted

^ greater temp contrast in Winter or during colder weather between lightning discharge and actual air surrounding it..hence, usually bigger sounding bangs for your bucks.

I'd like to see evidence for this - 20C air temperature difference is a miniscule percentage compared to the huge temperatures inside a lighning bolt.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Torrential rain here with winds

• Like 1

Posted

I do believe this squall could produce somethingInteresting for the NW ofEngland over the next hour or so!

I admire your optimism, still moderate rain, but been getting heavish pulses last 10 minutes but nothing i would call torrential , really cant see any lightning happening anytime soon if any at all, if it does it will overnight when I am sleeping more than likely, but doubt even that   

Posted

I'd like to see evidence for this - 20C air temperature difference is a miniscule percentage compared to the huge temperatures inside a lighning bolt.

I think that the extremely hot lightning bolt traveling through cold air would expand more rapidly creating a louder (should say more powerful) discharge? during winter the ribbon lightning or streak type is not very common, but the huge C-G single strokes or forked are.