Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow free December first since 2002

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Had a light snow shower this morning, and 2 days of lying snow so far this December.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm sure I've had some snow free Decembers here - but I've not had a frost free December (records started in 2003) before ..... :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looking back through Decembers here, only a few have not managed snow, 06-08 being the main snowless period. Here are the dates where snow have fallen at my location, boldened if they led to a covering of at least 1cm or more.

2000 - 27th, 28th

2001 - 26th, 29th, 30th

2002 - 10th, 11th

2003 - NONE

2004 - 19th, 25th

2005 - 29th

2006 - NONE

2007 - NONE

2008 - NONE

2009 - 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th

2010 - 01st, 02nd, 17th, 18th, 20th, 22nd

2011 - 16th

2012 - NONE

A more common feature of winter, frost, has also been decidedly absent here. More frosts happened in November than so far this month. Really quite an unusual December!

Edited by MP-R
  • Like 1

Posted

Best. December since 2010 here, I've had two dustings of snow albeit patchy and a heavy snow shower this morning. In fact I've seen more snow this month than tithe previous two winters combined I love cold zonality and long may it continue but with more cold in the mix than now.

Posted

Best. December since 2010 here, I've had two dustings of snow albeit patchy and a heavy snow shower this morning. In fact I've seen more snow this month than tithe previous two winters combined I love cold zonality and long may it continue but with more cold in the mix than now.

Two patchy dustings and a snow shower is more than you had in January this year? March? (if you include it as winter) February 2012? 16th Dec 2011?

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

We've had 2 rain to snow showers, 1 quite heavy but it didn't last long, lowest temp --1.9C

The worst thing is its not been really cold but its not been mild (excuse my language) enough to make do without the heating on. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Really SI? Did you not get anything from 19th Jan, 20-21st Jan and 22-23rd March 2013 over your way?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Latest model runs don't install me with confidence either. Going to have to add a 100metres plus to where I live that should do the trick. May not see any Snow for a while in Jan either.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well 2002/2003 winter the first snow fell on Jan 1st/2nd. Pretty sure we won't see any before then so the worst start to winter for a very long time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We had 'snow drizzle' earlier in the month, and we had heavy wet snow in November which left a dusting, but nothing since those two occurrences. December 2011 and 2012 both produced falling snow here but no lying snow.

January 2012 had no settling snow either and only some light snow showers early in the month that I was lucky to see early in the morning. First settling snow did not arrive until early Feb (5th, wasn't it?).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Very rare to see lying snow here in December and, almost as rare, is seeing falling snow. In fact rapidly approaching 12 months since the last time snow settled here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

For a fairly built up place for some reason we can do quite well for snow over on this side of Manchester..... but so far no lying snow this month, I don't think we had any last December although I think we did have falling snow, then we had a number of measurable falls from January onwards some were heavy.

But strangely during the relatively mild Winter of 11-12 we had lying snow in the middle of December and then there was nothing until early February when we had a heavier amount fall.

In my 28 years experience December has never really been a month for notable lying snow (bar 2009/2010 of course), Winter doesn't really get going here proper until January (synoptic permitting) due to the Atlantic being at it's strongest in December.

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Very rare to see lying snow here in December and, almost as rare, is seeing falling snow. In fact rapidly approaching 12 months since the last time snow settled here.

Seriously? None in March?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

i had none in march either but 5 miles up the road there was 10 foot drifts.

Posted

One day of falling snow here- sleet really- but last day lying was 27 March.

Certainly not the longest spell without lying snow even recently- we had a 13 and a half month gap from 7th Jan 2011 to 19 Feb 2012.

The longest is an amazing 33 months between Feb 1991 and Nov 1993!

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Been pretty mild and changeable here but still managed 4 days snow falling and 2 snow lying at 9AM.

A couple of days with sleet also.

Just scraped an air frost this morning at -0.1C. Only the second of the month with -1.8C on the 6th being the other.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

No snow showers seen here.

Only had 1 day of falling sleet (more freezing rain) back at the start of december.

Had a few air frosts, and maybe 5 ground frosts.

Minimum temperature -1.0c

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I have had a few slight- sharp ground frosts and just one air frost so far this season -0.4c last thursday morning,and one heavy snow shower last sunday. Thats the best i have got here for wintry weather,pretty dire. Roll on next month hopefully jan might provide more in the way of wintry weather.

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Snow shower on the 24th here and a few flakes at the end of the 25th here have rescued this month. The 24th was lucky because we went through some very intense precipitation, dragging the cold air down to the surface enabling precipitation to fall as snow. Would have been rain otherwise! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Seriously? None in March?

Nope, no lying snow at all. We had one day when it snowed quite heavy but it was not cold enough to stick bar a little icy build up on the bottom of the windscreen of the cars.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Here's the UK and Ireland mapped average for reference: 

Posted Image