Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Morning everyone. Guess we'll find out today if this storm deserved all the hype.

Some links that may come in handy:

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?date=2013122308〈=fr&area=eur&size=standard - Updates every hour and if a great way to check the pressure - See if it's on track with the models.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/ - This will come in handy also when trying to check the pressure. There are a lot of bouys around, so it shouldn't be a problem seeing where the lowest pressure is.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/pressinmbcvt.html Inches to Millibars converter, for the Bouy readings.

Currently falling by 2.4mb/hour here, but only a 28mph gust. Stay safe all!

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

No way?? there was a mention of wintry ppn over south

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Some rough Channel crossings later!

post-9615-0-37605300-1387788713_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Im gob smacked..

Mate 10 miles down the road.. MUCH higher up though has just posted this on Facebook.. (Berkshire)

Posted Imagesnow.jpg

Clearly an old picture. lol.

• Like 2

Posted

Pressure here is dropping like a stone. Was 1000 mB at 0500, now 993.5 mB!! 

So what you reckon the lowest pressure at the centre will be.

I've seen an NOAA chart stating 924mb!!! Most charts seem to going at about 935-940mb.

Time for buoy watch methinks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not quite as windy as forecast for around this time it seems in most places so far in xcweather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

So is the worst of the wind not with me yet?

I'm guessing from now until early afternoon for you - looking at the XCWeather site. :)

Posted
8:55pm

A motorist has reported a fallen tree on the A390 at Rosudgeon, in between Penzance and Helston.
It is understood the tree is blocking one side of the
carriageway, but is passable with care.

Posted

I'm guessing from now until early afternoon for you - looking at the XCWeather site. :)

Lol I thought it was bad enough now it is so dark at the moment!!!!! According to my wundergroupd app pressure is 999 and falling Edited by jessandjon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I'm off now, be reading though! not doing a wind map not time have done rain map in other thread. Going to be one interesting day for sure with the weather, excitement levels kept secret... emmmm..

On a serious note serious weather today and Tuesday, very much concerned about this storm and what is indicated after too in the days ahead. Take care everyone and be aware of your surroundings, and keep up to date with the news/weather information.

Posted

Latest satellite obs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

What I am thinking... LOL but if it is true wow... 

xcweather.co.uk - look at the temps. That's all you need to tell you it's not from now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Watch the development and progress over the last 24 hours - http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Posted

Im gob smacked..

Mate 10 miles down the road.. MUCH higher up though has just posted this on Facebook.. (Berkshire)

Posted Imagesnow.jpg

That is 100% a joke, it's 9c at the surface and +2c and rising at the 850mb level lol.

Pretty rough here near Sidmouth now, very heavy rain at times (like as I type this) sweeping through on strong winds.

Lots more to come, though the radar near lands end has decided now would be a good time to stop working. Local forecast reckons 60-80mm in places, more over Dartmoor.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

So what you reckon the lowest pressure at the centre will be.

I've seen an NOAA chart stating 924mb!!! Most charts seem to going at about 935-940mb.

Time for buoy watch methinks!

Shipping forecast goes for 931 mB, north Rockall by midnight.

OK now this is ridiculous! Pressure is now 990.7 mB, falling at a rate of 6 Mb/H! 

That is 100% a joke, it's 9c at the surface and +2c and rising at the 850mb level lol.Pretty rough here near Sidmouth now, very heavy rain at times (like as I type this) sweeping through on strong winds.

Lots more to come, though the radar near lands end has decided now would be a good time to stop working. Local forecast reckons 60-80mm in places, more over Dartmoor.

As soon as I saw it I was like what? Are you like 20,000 feet up lol! But good to get some observations on it :p

• Like 1

Posted

Sevenstones Lightship info at 0800

Wind Direction (WDIR): SSW ( 200 deg true ) Posted Image Wind Speed (WSPD): 42.9 kts Posted Image Wave Height (WVHT): 15.7 ft Posted Image Average Period (APD): 9 sec Posted Image Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.38 in Posted Image Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.26 in ( Falling Rapidly ) Posted Image Air Temperature (ATMP): 53.1 °F Posted Image Water Temperature (WTMP): 52.7 °F Posted Image Dew Point (DEWP): 50.0 °F Posted Image Wind Chill (CHILL): 44.2 °F

That's a pressure of 994mb

...and 62081 buoy which is off SW Ireland (further West of Sevenstones) at 0800

Posted Image Wind Direction (WDIR): WSW ( 240 deg true ) Posted Image Wind Speed (WSPD): 29.9 kts Posted Image Wave Height (WVHT): 21.3 ft Posted Image Average Period (APD): 9 sec Posted Image Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 28.88 in Posted Image Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.09 in ( Falling ) Posted Image Dew Point (DEWP): 44.2 °F

that's 977mb !!!!

Edited by martinj2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Sevenstones Lightship info at 0800

Wind Direction (WDIR): SSW ( 200 deg true ) Posted Image Wind Speed (WSPD): 42.9 kts Posted Image Wave Height (WVHT): 15.7 ft Posted Image Average Period (APD): 9 sec Posted Image Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.38 in Posted Image Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.26 in ( Falling Rapidly ) Posted Image Air Temperature (ATMP): 53.1 °F Posted Image Water Temperature (WTMP): 52.7 °F Posted Image Dew Point (DEWP): 50.0 °F Posted Image Wind Chill (CHILL): 44.2 °F

That's a pressure of 994mb

...and 62081 buoy which is off SW Ireland (further West of Sevenstones) at 0800

Posted Image Wind Direction (WDIR): WSW ( 240 deg true ) Posted Image Wind Speed (WSPD): 29.9 kts Posted Image Wave Height (WVHT): 21.3 ft Posted Image Average Period (APD): 9 sec Posted Image Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 28.88 in Posted Image Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.09 in ( Falling ) Posted Image Dew Point (DEWP): 44.2 °F

that's 977mb !!!!

Yep, getting pretty windy there though, 49 MpH at Sevenstones. 

Check out station 62095, M 6; that seems to be the closest to the low.

Edited by Chris R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

XCWeather now has the gusts near me (London/Surrey), starting from midday, and getting really strong around midnight. Pretty sure yesterday it was set to start in the late afternoon / evening.