Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted

I think to say the south doesn't have much to worry about apart from bit of rain is a bit flippant to say the least unless there is a drastic change to river levels over the next few days some people in the south could be facing a bleak New Year on top of the bleak Christmas they face tomorrow. At this present moment in time there is 1 severe flood warning, 51 flood warnings and 90 flood alerts. The ground is saturated and any further rain is going to have nowhere to go. Unfortunately I gave spoken to far too many friends today that are facing evacuation this evening.

It's raining heavily again in areas that are already flooded and being evacuated right now. In addition to that there are still nearly 100,000 people without power in the south. As you rightly say Jules it's flippant to make light of the situation, and it may well get worse in the coming hours and days.

My sympathies lay with those folk. Some people would do well to think about what they have typed before hitting the post button. Just a thought.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

You've just witnessed history folks.

Stornoway reported a barometric pressure of 936.4mb at 1230pm today. Lowest recorded anywhere in the UK since December 1886.

- Peter Gibbs, BBC Forecaster.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I hope that some kind hearted companies will help out with generators etc so at least if nothing else the Christmas spirit shines through. 

• Like 1

Posted

I hope that some kind hearted companies will help out with generators etc so at least if nothing else the Christmas spirit shines through.

Seems some did provide generators but then cables were stolen. Cheek of some people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Every ensemble on the 18z suite is going for a significant storm depression come Friday with a tighter pressure gradient than perhaps todays storm. Pretty good agreement on the centre tracking somewhere over Central Scotland. 

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=66

Have a fantastic Christmas everyone! :) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

There is a glimmer of good news for some people Posted Image

UK Power Networks - supplier to millions in southern and eastern England - is offering to pay for their Christmas dinner. They're asking local restaurants and pubs with spare tables to email SDCSupportContact@ukpowernetworks.co.uk or call 0800 028 0959. Some 56,000 households supplied by the company are still without electricity."

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Yeah - Friday's storm is looking pretty nasty at the moment with a really tight isobar gradient for much of the country and Ireland.

Posted

I can't help but feel that many on here are dissapointed with this storm just passed (me included)All I will say is, for those who missed out, chin up, friday looks fab from the north mids northward. Our time is nearly here. I'm off for a whiskey or ten....MERRRRRRY XMAS PEEPS XX

Well I had a feeling this might happen, loads on here kept saying they didn't want this storm and others hoped for a downgrade, then after the event people start moaning (and I'm not on about the person who wrote the above) it wasn't strong enough....poor weather can't win here.

Posted

I hope that some kind hearted companies will help out with generators etc so at least if nothing else the Christmas spirit shines through. certainly

Uk Power Networks certainly seem to be making a concerted effort. Fair play to them for that.

http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/news-and-press/press-releases/Latest-update-on-storm-damage-to-our-electricity-network.html

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Seems some did provide generators but then cables were stolen. Cheek of some people.

Scum of the earth

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I love extreme weather and would have loved some high winds - however, I think for me personally especially at this time of year it is be careful what you wish for.  I can not think of anything worse at Christmas than a flooded home, power cuts and generally a miserable clean up.  This is the time of year when people are with families etc 

So yes on one hand a good storm is great - this time of year seeing what's happened down south?  Think I would rather pass.

Thought are with everyone affected and hope you get sorted soon!

Edited by P-M
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)