Climate Battle No 2 : Aberdeen vs Inverness

boywonder

Which Climate Do you prefer  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which climate do you prefer?

• Inverness
    • Aberdeen

Posted

Ok so After Having climate battle between aviemore and buxton most people preferred aviemore. Lets have a battle between arguably two of the Snowiest cities in UK.

Aberdeen

Yearly Max  temp = 12 C.

Yearly Min temp = 5.1 C.

Sunshine = 1435.7 hours

Rain = 814.9 mm.

Average days of snow Falling = 35

Inverness

Yearly max Temp = 12.5 C.

Yearly Min Temp = 5.5 C.

Sunshine =1220 Hours

Rain = 732.8 mm

Average days of snow falling 25.

2 of the coldest and snowiest Big Cities In UK. Which Climate do you prefer and why?

Edited by boywonder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Given that Aberdeen is statistically sunnier, wetter and snowier than Inverness, it's not a hard choice- it would have to be Aberdeen.  I may well find the summers at both locations quite depressing though.

Posted

I live somewhere in the middle on the Moray Firth coast ( about 35 miles east of Inverness, 70 miles NW of Aberdeen).  Having lived in Aberdeen for many years I don't think it was that snowy.  Being on the coast snow didn't lie that often (unless there was a cold easterly). The main thing I didnt like, in Aberdeen,  was the haar/fog coming in off the North Sea.  Therefore I would prefer Inverness.  I am going to check the statistics for Lossiemouth/ Kinloss as I think they are better due to a microclimate along the Moray coast.

Posted

I'm surprised Inverness isn't sunnier than Aberdeen - the former seems quite sheltered.

I too expected Inverness to be sunnier, and I expected it to have a lower mean minimum. Based on those stats it would have to be Aberdeen: though like Aviemore I wonder about the effect of mountains on Inverness' Sun totals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Again hardly a battle as they have almost indentical climates and are within spitting distance of each other...hows about doing places that have opposite climates rather than places that have the same?

Posted

Again hardly a battle as they have almost indentical climates and are within spitting distance of each other...hows about doing places that have opposite climates rather than places that have the same?

I will Do a thread About 2 contrasting Climates

Posted

I prefer my home town, Aberdeen. The weather in Inverness and the Moray Firth is only better when wind is coming from E, SE or S. That area is always good for a day trip whenever there's a SE wind as it can be 25C and sunshine in summer when the east coast is 14C and drizzle. However every other direction is worse. It's much cloudier overall and I hate the lack of sun here. Living somewhere with even less sunshine would be a big no.

Posted

I would caution the climate stats for 'Inverness' as they are from Dalcross and though the distance is relatively small, the wider portion of the Moray Firth that Dalcross sits beside seems to have a noticeably more significant moderating effect on temperature at Dalcross than in Inverness. This is particularly true on warm sunny days in summer and cold nights in winter. Dalcross gets an onshore breeze off the Firth in prevailing winds, while Inverness does not. The temperature in the city centre can be more than 10c higher than Dalcross in summer.

As for the question of a preference, in Summer definitely Inverness - it neither gets the harr or sea breezes than can plague Aberdeen when the rest of the country is sizzling! From the snow perspective, while I live by the River Ness so practically Sea Level, the highest parts of the City are over 600ft if you want to maximise your snow prospects!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Inverness...nothing to do with weather,i guess there is nothing in it ,just it is more central to the highlands!