Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Off to cumbria 03/1/2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I couldn't find a thread on this particular subject so i made a new onePosted Image

As i do every year,me and my mate set off for cumbria(scafell pike) every winter for a few days,and looking at the latest 12z,18z + ens(perturbations 1-20) it's going to be another windy one as it stands,this year(beginning of feb) was exstremely windy and we could not make it to the top(200 ft from summit) due to really strong mean winds,my mate said come on lets go for it,i said no it's too risky,honestley it was scary because every step we took we got blown two back

anyway,i am looking forward to this great few days again and are more prepared than last winter

p.s does anyone know of any live webcam links cause i cannot find any,the only ones i can find in cumbria are these

http://www.hazeldene-hotel.co.uk/newsite/webcamsspare.htm

but i do have this which is good

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Scafell/6day/mid

i noticed Liam j lives in west cumbria,maybe he could give me more info  & obs

cheers

Edited by allseasons-si

Posted

I'm not in Cumbria at the moment so can't give you current conditions but have a look at www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk. A couple of guys head up hellvelyn everyday through the winter and give a report on current conditions, very useful. www.mwis.org.uk is best for a forecast. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Posted

Its been a very stormy turbulent period recently here, with gales galore and heavy rain and unfortunately for winter snow lovers only a dusting of snow here and there.

I was out on Helvellyn on Saturday in very strong winds and there was ice above 700m - very hard going and at time difficult to stand up. The wind is the key feature of our weather - and with it likely to stay from a SW-W quarter - it does well to plan any walk with the wind on your back if you can.

Walking in heavy rain is ok, but walking in gales/severe gale force winds is extremely hazardous especially if on exposed ridges.

I'm hopeful things will calm down somewhat as we move through January. February and March are usually the best months for cold settled conditions in the Lakes. The christmas- new period is often a very volatile period - but we haven't seen such conditions at this time of year for a long time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Thanks guys for the infoPosted Image

also got the date mixed up in the heading,it's the 2nd we go,not the 3rd

latest forecast is still looking a bit on the breezy side with 60 mph mean winds on friPosted Image ,but at least it will be snowing up there on both days(thu,fri),might stay all day sat yet,we shall seePosted Image

i will be taking my new Christmas present up with me,the Fujifilm finepix xp60

post-16960-0-28662800-1388437736_thumb.j

should get some goood pics & vid to postPosted Image

Edited by allseasons-si

Posted

Thanks guys for the infoPosted Image

also got the date mixed up in the heading,it's the 2nd we go,not the 3rd

latest forecast is still looking a bit on the breezy side with 60 mph mean winds on friPosted Image ,but at least it will be snowing up there on both days(thu,fri),might stay all day sat yet,we shall seePosted Image

i will be taking my new Christmas present up with me,the Fujifilm finepix xp60

Posted Imagefujifilm-XP60_Blue_Front.jpg

should get some goood pics & vid to postPosted Image

Some decent snow cover on the fells today - down to 2000ft- the power of evaporative cooling. Indeed today has felt quite wintry with a distinct 'polar' feel.. and some brightness amongst the showers. Thankfully the mild gloom associated with tropical maritime air we endured mid month doesn't look like returning for the foreseeable future, the fells should hopefully retain decent snow cover as we enter the new year thanks to shorter lived thaws and longer durations of polar air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Went up sca fell ,cannot remember if it were 2006 or 2007 in summer,it was dead still even at the summit and a hot day,took 2 litres of water each and we had only got half way to realise we didn't have enough water.Sat at the top dead still thousands of flies and bugs,my mate who has done a lot of fellwalking couldn't believe the still conditions.We managed to ration the water and dropped in bow fell on the way back down!