Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 1/1/14 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Yes............ thunder , lightning, you name it we're having it ................. hail ,wind now back again too..................amazing  ........................stay safe though everyone ......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow/thunderstorms
A sunny and relatively windy morning here, ferries running and as yet no dramas........[/

quote]

I hope it stay's that way mate. I'm crossing from Yarmouth at 6pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.Thunder Storms

OMG!!!!!! WOW!!!! Everything nearly White with Hail, Fork Lightning,Thunder,Rain!!!! Black as your Hat out there. Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Some pretty bad flooding here in Guernsey. Large sections of our west coast took a beating. Got some good vids which I'll put up soon

post-18733-0-21629200-1388743768_thumb.j

post-18733-0-05422100-1388743815_thumb.j

post-18733-0-01755700-1388743898_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, freezing rain, hail, thunderstorms!

It's been like Armageddon here - thunder, lightning hail ( largest hail stones I've ever seen in the uk, maybe up to 2cm as it stopped)and typically our camera was nowhere to be seen until it stopped! Notable that the temp dropped from around 8 degrees to just over 2c and the hail had some snow/sleet mixed in.

I'm a coldie, but this weather is pretty amazing - not good for flood situations, so fingers crossed for anyone in a prone area.

Be safe out there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

It's been like Armageddon here - thunder, lightning hail ( largest hail stones I've ever seen in the uk, maybe up to 2cm as it stopped)and typically our camera was nowhere to be seen until it stopped! Notable that the temp dropped from around 8 degrees to just over 2c and the hail had some snow/sleet mixed in.I'm a coldie, but this weather is pretty amazing - not good for flood situations, so fingers crossed for anyone in a prone area.Be safe out there

I'm the other side of the A37 and can vouch for that.  The hailstones weren't much smaller than golf balls.  They were hitting the ground and bouncing about 5-6ft in the air.  I took a couple of pics on my phone, one of which Ian Fergie has re-tweeted.  Saw the most beautiful bright rainbow earlier as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

some awful weather out there this morning, with plenty of thunder and lightning not too far away (30 miles or so) with torrential rain and seriously strong convective gusts......also thoughts go out to those facing the prospect of more flooding this morning Posted Image

here's the latest NW v4 radar imagery showing the line of thunderstorms affecting east devon, somerset, dorset and Wilts

post-4149-0-36196900-1388744634_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Freshwater Bay, Isle of Wight this morning.  This guy is keen, on the edge of the drop off the sea wall into the tide.

post-13277-0-86660500-1388744575_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Some thunder and lightning passed this way but it is getting brighter now..5.4c.Gusting to 24 km/h. West...

Posted

I have hail photos to share later once we have done things at home, sized between marble and golf ball, have put a few in the freezer lol ! Lightning, thunder, torrential rain, ground now white after further more normal sized hail!

The radar for 10.05 and 10.10 shows the heaviest possible white echo near Westbury/Warminster!

What has come together to produce this today!? Only the 2nd time I have seen hail that large, the previous time was in about 1990 in summer,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

We have Thunder, wow! Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I have hail photos to share later once we have done things at home, sized between marble and golf ball, have put a few in the freezer lol ! Lightning, thunder, torrential rain, ground now white after further more normal sized hail!

The radar for 10.05 and 10.10 shows the heaviest possible white echo near Westbury/Warminster!

What has come together to produce this today!? Only the 2nd time I have seen hail that large, the previous time was in about 1990 in summer,

Can't wait to see those pics and I hope everyone stays safe, that is pretty hefty hail. Posted Image My storm is passing through SW to NE'wards due NW of me if that makes sense. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Look out for reports of snow (one such report I've heard of from Wantage way), which will of course be drifted and lying hail in fact but some of these storms are beasts, there is no doubt of that.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

In swanage at the moment. it's not too bad, certainly not as bad as I thought. I'm having a cappuccino next to the arcade as some heavy rain looks like moving in shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Hey Gtltw happy new year... Am currently in Inveraray by the lock listening to the wind whistle around.. How is it fairing in Newbury? I hope to be travelling back tomorrow by train so I hope I can get back ok and there aren't too many delays.;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Thunder and lightning with hall stones here. That's one big area of thunderstorm.

• Like 1

Posted

Hey Gtltw happy new year... Am currently in Inveraray by the lock listening to the wind whistle around.. How is it fairing in Newbury? I hope to be travelling back tomorrow by train so I hope I can get back ok and there aren't too many delays.Posted Image

Sounds lovely there PB. It's hailing as I type and have only heard the one rumble so far. My patch has seen the rain literally wash down the hill as it should in Wash Common. Posted Image I trust it will be worse for people near babbling brooks and riversides though. We are getting away with it here in Newbury when compared with other places no doubt.

Posted

In swanage at the moment. it's not too bad, certainly not as bad as I thought. I'm having a cappuccino next to the arcade as some heavy rain looks like moving in shortly.

I lost £1.60 in that arcade last Saturday. Can you win it back for me? Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So far the Bristol area has missed the worst of these heavy showers although some more flying up the channel which look likely to hit areas that missed worst earlier.

Posted

After some rain around 6am, its been dry and clam for this morning. Just 5mm early morning today.

Just had a very short hail shower and skies have turned grey very quickly after some nice blue skies earlier.

Winds at moment only 10-12mph with the odd 18 mph gust.

Worst yet to come it seems.

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Yes, a pleasantly bright, if blustery, morning here in Southampton. It's getting darker now and the thunder has started Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I'm in Somerset near Clevedon, and all this has missed me so far :-(