Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

One of the mildest Winters for some years?

The PIT

Posted

Here, the first 40 days of winter have the highest mean max temps in 34 years of records, so its certainly not a normal winter:

Mean Max (1st Dec - 9th Jan):

2013/14: 9.4C

1988/89: 9.3C2006/07: 8.9C

2004/05: 8.8C

2011/12: 8.5C

1987/88: 8.3C

1997/98: 8.1C

1980/81: 7.8C

1991/92: 7.8C

1998/99: 7.7C

The only other winter to have not seen any falling sleet/snow by this point was 1988/89 and even that winter had falling and lying snow in November.

As for air frosts, in 34 years of records only 1988/89 and 1990/91  had not had a winter air frost at this point, but both of these had more in Autumn.

This winter might not finish as the mildest on record by the end, but it thoroughly is the worst on record at this point 40 days in. 

Edited by reef
  • Like 6

Posted

December came in at 6.3C and January is currently at 7.2C (CET). In my book that IS very mild.

It may not have felt particularly mild because of all the wind, rain and cloud but the figures paint the true picture. Minima in particular have been extremely mild.

Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Not record mild, just consistent temperatures. Most days have been 7-11C which is pretty average for winter. The only notable thing is that there has been a very small range in the temperatures. It is not notable that there has not been snow yet, we don't even see snow every year

7 to 11 degrees might be normal where you are but it is 5 here.We still have had no snow which is very rare here and the general concensus is that it has been at least the top 2 mildest in 30 years if not the mildest!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the latest model runs put a nail in the cold for next week so temperatures look set to become close to average which should being the overall Jan average down slowly. Long time since we've had a run of average temperatures as well. Average temp for Jan here is 4.2C we're at 6.5C at the moment. December was 6.4C our average 4.5C so at the moment we're certainly in a very mild category. It then will be over to February.

Outside chance of snow later Friday according Helen Willetts but that looks an extremely long shot.  Looking at the GFS and the other models seem to be following it we could well be snow free next week as well.  The odds then of a Snow free January will be dropping like a stone by then.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

7 to 11 degrees might be normal where you are but it is 5 here.We still have had no snow which is very rare here and the general concensus is that it has been at least the top 2 mildest in 30 years if not the mildest!

I doubt that very much. Mild? Yes. Very mild? Possibly. Record-breaking? No.

Edited by cheese

Posted

If it came in here at 6.5C degrees it would be joint warmest on record. At the moment it's on 6.5C. If we get a warm Feb it will be the warmest here our records began. Hopefully we will get a cold Feb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I doubt that very much. Mild? Yes. Very mild? Possibly. Record-breaking? No.

You may be proved wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Well the latest model runs put a nail in the cold for next week so temperatures look set to become close to average which should being the overall Jan average down slowly. Long time since we've had a run of average temperatures as well. Average temp for Jan here is 4.2C we're at 6.5C at the moment. December was 6.4C our average 4.5C so at the moment we're certainly in a very mild category. It then will be over to February.

Outside chance of snow later Friday according Helen Willetts but that looks an extremely long shot.  Looking at the GFS and the other models seem to be following it we could well be snow free next week as well.  The odds then of a Snow free January will be dropping like a stone by then.

You come across like you are trying to wind people up.

Posted

You come across like you are trying to wind people up.

I think my venting a bit of frustration.

Against that there's no wind up when the models just show zippo. This morning runs even worse. Aaaarrrgghhhhh.

I can't remember a Snow free winter we may have managed in the 70's

Another downside the council will have loads of unused grit so expect a gritting frenzy in spring when it's not needed so they can justify the budget for next year. That's what normally happens.

Posted

Hopefully we won't see a repeat of the persistent cold temperatures and heavy snow in March / early April like we did last year

I'll take that if we get a decent summer like last year following it but I'm not in the agriculture sector. To be honest I hope to see one decent wintry spell this season as I hope to see one decent summery spell in that season.Close to halfway point of the meteorological winter and I'm beginning to wonder even though I know from past history of even very mild winters having brief wintry interludes.I'm not sure why Scandinavian highs and their easterlies have had it tough recently, they have been brief when they delivered such as Feb 09 or did little such as January 2010. Our coldest, wintry weather of recent years have been largely due to blocks to our north west rather than to northeast. Although first half of February 2012 was cold in the east and south due to a northeast block it was too far east on the whole. Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

So far this winter is one of the worst for many years.  Not a single snowflake as yet and reminds me of some of the snowless winters of the 90's and early 00's.  Really disappointed as i thought that as we had a mildish start to winter the middle or end of winter would turn around and become much colder.  This doesn't seem to be happening as yet although we still have the rest of january and February to go.  There is always hope, but somehow i just have a gut feeling that this winter is going to go down as a total disappointment as regards cold and snow.  I sincerely hope i am wrong though.

Posted

I just knew we were going to get a mild winter this year when i prepared my car for the winter back in November.  had everything checked and antifreeze topped up, etc.  I only ever did that once before back in 2005 and that too was a pretty mild snowless winter too.  I won't waste my time and money next year.  Just thank god i didn't buy snowchains for the car too as i was going to.

I just knew we were going to get a mild winter this year when i prepared my car for the winter back in November.  had everything checked and antifreeze topped up, etc.  I only ever did that once before back in 2005 and that too was a pretty mild snowless winter too.  I won't waste my time and money next year.  Just thank god i didn't buy snowchains for the car too as i was going to.

Our weather is pathetic i even considered a move abroad. When theres wind or rain we are guaranteed to get it, Never get any good summers, Very really get any snow or serious cold. we live in a Damp dull boring country which i hate!!. Sorry for ranting.

Posted

It really is far better than a country where it is so cold you will die or be seriously injured outside in minutes if not careful.Few places in the world have a climate which for most of the year is tolerable for outside activity at least part of most days.Be thankful for what you have.

• Like 3

Posted

It's not as mild here as it was pre 2007 winters. We've had a fair few frosts, albeit, just one lasting all day in shaded areas. The issue is not the mild day, but the lack of cold at night. When we don't get a frost, then it's generally mild overnight.

Edited by picog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I think our climate would only need minor adjustments to make it an ideal climate. 1-2C higher in summer and 1-2C lower in winter and it would be pretty perfect (for me anyway). Drier, warmer and sunnier summers and colder, snowier winters (though not extreme cold) and spring and autumn to stay as it is. But yes, unfortunately we are stuck with a pretty naff climate so finding interest here and there is what we're left with. The Low Countries have it just right I think.

• Like 1

It really is far better than a country where it is so cold you will die or be seriously injured outside in minutes if not careful.Few places in the world have a climate which for most of the year is tolerable for outside activity at least part of most days.Be thankful for what you have.

i didnt tell people to live there ? all im saying is how boring our country is why should i be thankful. i have family who have lost everything due to floods and the wind. seems like your not even aloud to rant in this country without somebody being unhappy with you.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

January 2013's cold weather started off with a Scandinavian block, albeit quite a weak one:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/cfsr/2013/Rcfsr_1_2013011212.png

But indeed, in general in recent winters Scandinavian blocks have delivered a lot less than Greenland blocks, whereas in previous centuries this has often not been the case to as large an extent.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Our weather is pathetic i even considered a move abroad. When theres wind or rain we are guaranteed to get it, Never get any good summers, Very really get any snow or serious cold. we live in a Damp dull boring country which i hate!!. Sorry for ranting.

i agree its not the greatest country if you like consistent weather (or seasons) and if i could afford it, i would definately move to a more continental type country, but i can't so i am stuck here really.  yes i also agree that at least the UK does not have the extremes in weather that other countries suffer and we should be thankful we live in such a temperature island, but it would be nice to have even a few days of guaranteed snow and cold each year across the country just to separate the seasons a little.  The seasons just tend to be more or less the same throughout the year, especially with regards to rain anyway.

• Like 1

i agree its not the greatest country if you like consistent weather (or seasons) and if i could afford it, i would definately move to a more continental type country, but i can't so i am stuck here really.  yes i also agree that at least the UK does not have the extremes in weather that other countries suffer and we should be thankful we live in such a temperature island, but it would be nice to have even a few days of guaranteed snow and cold each year across the country just to separate the seasons a little.  The seasons just tend to be more or less the same throughout the year, especially with regards to rain anyway.

i do agree that we are better off than a lot of others but the way some people comment, its as if its my fault those people have extreme weather lol. I certainly think we have the right to complain about this RUBBISH boring weather, just like you said we should really have snow every winter as that is what winters are for...

Posted

The only saving grace it hasn't been boring. If it ain't snow I want gales and more gales. Sadly this looks to disappear now as well.

I wonder if we could move the country if we all pushed at once. Push it up to arctic circle in winter and then warmies could push it south in summer.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I could say that my 'ideal' climate is a modification of the UK climate, though having said that, the modifications are numerous, e.g. less frontal precipitation, more convective precipitation, more sunshine, increased continentality with a large land mass to the W/S but close proximity to seas to the N/E for generating the equivalent of "lake-effect snow", mountains to the S to act as a trigger point for summer thunderstorms at the climax of a heatwave, and a more Southern Hemisphere-esque circulation pattern but with more intense, longer-lasting polar blasts than are usually experienced over New Zealand, among others.

I do think that the UK's climate is among the top 20% of most interesting climates in the world and also one of the safest to live in- our hazards with flooding and gales are minor compared with what most other parts of the world get.  But for many enthusiasts of dramatic or noteworthy weather, the tendency to get long periods dominated by the more "mundane" weather types, with cloud, the odd bit of sun and the odd bit of rain, does get frustrating after a while spent within such periods, as does the inability to get outdoors during spells that are frequently grey, wet and windy.

This winter would probably be causing less aggravation if it had been inserted in place of, say, 1990/91 (following three mild winters), but because we've had many cold snowy winters recently it feels like more of a shock.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers