Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

One of the mildest Winters for some years?

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I've not recorded an air frost this winter.

That is a remarkable stat this far into Winter!

You come across like you are trying to wind people up.

Really?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It really is far better than a country where it is so cold you will die or be seriously injured outside in minutes if not careful.

Few places in the world have a climate which for most of the year is tolerable for outside activity at least part of most days.

Be thankful for what you have.

Why would anyone on here be thankful for that, when most of us are looking for the exact opposite of what you're describing?! Posted Image

Let's get real here - millions - no, billions of people live in climates which are much hotter, colder and snowier than our own, and they manage just fine and they are not all dead. Cities like Winnipeg, Minneapolis, Montreal and Calgary continue as normal and do not shut down, and people there don't get frostbite or end up dying from the cold.

This winter feels like 2006-7 so far.

I will laugh a lot if the summer we get this year is as poor as that one. Not because I want a crap summer, but it'll be funny to see how the mildies react when they get a crappy, terrible, flood-ridden summer because they saved on their energy bills this winter. Posted Image

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Dont know about mildest, but certainly one of the worst in regards to mild LP dominated winters thus far. Not had that many days with a long southerly draw to make it truly mild, but totally dominated by westerlies. Same here with no air frost recorded only a couple of ground frost in late november. Dire!! Always like Autumn for the feeling of everything getting ready for winter as if in anticipation, birds animals ect, when its like it is, always makes me feel let down somehow, should know better. 

Posted

Well I had to scrape the windscreen this morning, the 1st January morning that felt more like November  Winter!  Lifted my mood somewhat until I looked at the strat and model thread!  Anyway, I said at the beginning of Winter that if it turned out to be a stinker then so be it and I stand by that.  However, does anyone else fear that our nice 5 year period of 'cooler' weather may now be over?!

• Like 1

Why would anyone on here be thankful for that, when most of us are looking for the exact opposite of what you're describing?! Posted Image

Let's get real here - millions - no, billions of people live in climates which are much hotter, colder and snowier than our own, and they manage just fine and they are not all dead. Cities like Winnipeg, Minneapolis, Montreal and Calgary continue as normal and do not shut down, and people there don't get frostbite or end up dying from the cold.

I will laugh a lot if the summer we get this year is as poor as that one. Not because I want a crap summer, but it'll be funny to see how the mildies react when they get a crappy, terrible, flood-ridden summer because they saved on their energy bills this winter. Posted Image

I know its crazy i cant even say a thing before i get accused of being selfish and just not thinking of others. All i was trying to put across was the fact that our weather is feeble and we are lucky to have any real decent snow.

I think my venting a bit of frustration.

Against that there's no wind up when the models just show zippo. This morning runs even worse. Aaaarrrgghhhhh.

I can't remember a Snow free winter we may have managed in the 70's

Another downside the council will have loads of unused grit so expect a gritting frenzy in spring when it's not needed so they can justify the budget for next year. That's what normally happens.

i understand where your coming from, My dad grits roads as he works for the council and even he agrees when we have a mild winter its a pain in the *** because they have to waste the grit in the spring, and all that it does is make our roads worse and cause them to split and take a battering from all the salt!!. i hope i can say this without being snapped at, but that truly shows how our country goes wrong on the roads as all they will be doing is complaining that the roads are in bad shape and need repairing. Its a vicious cycle.

It really is far better than a country where it is so cold you will die or be seriously injured outside in minutes if not careful.Few places in the world have a climate which for most of the year is tolerable for outside activity at least part of most days.Be thankful for what you have.

By the way im not sure which country your talking about, but i have yet to know a country that is so cold that you will die, as you put it. If the country was so cold you die then there wouldn't be anybody living there. I have been in conditions that are -45 and below and i can assure you i was not close to dying. Even when america this month were in -40 people were living. 

Well I had to scrape the windscreen this morning, the 1st January morning that felt more like November  Winter!  Lifted my mood somewhat until I looked at the strat and model thread!  Anyway, I said at the beginning of Winter that if it turned out to be a stinker then so be it and I stand by that.  However, does anyone else fear that our nice 5 year period of 'cooler' weather may now be over?!

yes indeed i do. I fear every day that we are going to suffer with warmer winters :(. i hope not i love that frosty morning feeling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

By the way im not sure which country your talking about, but i have yet to know a country that is so cold that you will die, as you put it. If the country was so cold you die then there wouldn't be anybody living there. I have been in conditions that are -45 and below and i can assure you i was not close to dying. Even when america this month were in -40 people were living. 

very true.  climate has dictated over the millenia where the best places to inhabit are and this of course shifts over time and changes in the climate.  Yes, people live in Siberia and other extremely cold places, but they are still habitable places.  The Antarctic on the other is not.  It is just common sense.  As you already said, all we are asking for is that we have a bit more reliable snow in this country....not ridiculously low temperatures.  We would be talking of a few degrees centigrade lower to achieve this but poor ol blighty cannot even manage that.  Can't wait for the day when the dreaded gulf stream shuts down once and for all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

very true.  climate has dictated over the millenia where the best places to inhabit are and this of course shifts over time and changes in the climate.  Yes, people live in Siberia and other extremely cold places, but they are still habitable places.  The Antarctic on the other is not.  It is just common sense.  As you already said, all we are asking for is that we have a bit more reliable snow in this country....not ridiculously low temperatures.  We would be talking of a few degrees centigrade lower to achieve this but poor ol blighty cannot even manage that.  Can't wait for the day when the dreaded gulf stream shuts down once and for all.

Having lots of snow and cold during the winter isn't all its cracked up to be..in fact its a pain in the backside

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

My Dad says the latest he has ever seen the first lying snow is 21st Jan, looking as if that could be at risk this winter.

Posted

Having lots of snow and cold during the winter isn't all its cracked up to be..in fact its a pain in the backside

In your opinion, perhaps. I find wind and rain to be a pain in the backside, and a drizzly, windy 7C morning is hard to wake up to. Flooding is no fun for anyone, either.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

In your opinion, perhaps. I find wind and rain to be a pain in the backside, and a drizzly, windy 7C morning is hard to wake up to. Flooding is no fun for anyone, either.

Its not an opinion its a fact...as is having lots of rain and wind..both as bad as each other

• Like 1

Posted

Its not an opinion its a fact...as is having lots of rain and wind..both as bad as each other

Clearly it isn't a fact, so I shan't waste my time debating something so ridiculous with you.

Edited by cheese

i dont believe its fact its not like nothing can be done about it. Norway spend a huge percentage of the year under snow. They just get on with it and dont let it bother them where as our country just give up.

Posted

indeed snow has never really affected me i put chains on the tyres or i simply just dont go out.

Try that when your road has drifts 5 feet deep and you HAVE to go out or your livestock or even your family will starve.Those wishing for huge snowfalls have never had to cope with ensuring the necessities of life during severe weather.It's all very well looking out the window of your centrally heated house thinking how nice it would be to see snow chaos inflicted on everyone else.Dealing with any severe weather is expensive, difficult and often dangerous and that includes snow and blizzards.

Posted

Try that when your road has drifts 5 feet deep and you HAVE to go out or your livestock or even your family will starve.Those wishing for huge snowfalls have never had to cope with ensuring the necessities of life during severe weather.It's all very well looking out the window of your centrally heated house thinking how nice it would be to see snow chaos inflicted on everyone else.Dealing with any severe weather is expensive, difficult and often dangerous and that includes snow and blizzards.

You're right, actually - I enjoy adverse weather because I am not a farmer. I will continue to enjoy adverse weather, for that very reason. If it upsets you, then that's not my fault or my problem. If it helps put your mind at ease, I can absolutely assure you I do not enjoy adverse weather because some people, somewhere, are suffering because of it. It is out of my control entirely - I am not a god, believe it or not!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

i really believe your blowing everything out of proportion and clearly are a big hater of snow. Do you work for the express would make sense you would come up with some bold headlines. I live in the UK and i have been to countries with similar conditions as america have just faced and never has it resorted to what you have just sprouted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

You're a 'cut off your nose to spite your face' sort of person then? I find the comment strange. Maybe you're suffering from a bit of model fatigue?

Plenty of time for snow yet and I'm very confident it'll happen still. One poster in this thread mentioned how little wintry stuff he'd recorded until this date in 1990/91. Most of us will know how snowy the second week in February turned out that year. :)

Posted

You're a 'cut off your nose to spite your face' sort of person then? I find the comment strange. Maybe you're suffering from a bit of model fatigue?

Plenty of time for snow yet and I'm very confident it'll happen still. One poster in this thread mentioned how little wintry stuff he'd recorded until this date in 1990/91. Most of us will know how snowy the second week in February turned out that year. Posted Image

It was tongue-in-cheek.. mostly.

I am more frustrated by the lack of  snow or even frost. Yes, I know, we're an island on the edge of the Atlantic, but still, this is poor even by our standards.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted

cheeky_monkey, on 10 Jan 2014 - 14:11, said:Posted Image

Cheese

Clearly it isn't a fact, so I shan't waste my time debating something so ridiculous with you.

The fact is any particular weather type can become a pain if you are stuck in it for an inordinate amount of time.  I love dry, hot and sunny summer weather, but a fortnight of that on the bounce and I'd be looking to see a change. I think a good variety of weather is always welcome, but unfortunately compared to Alberta our weather is pretty much boring full stop.

Posted

Variety is good, I agree - and the same type of weather constantly is a bit boring. The weather since early December has been the same more or less. Places like Calgary get wild temperature swings - pretty exciting IMO.

Edited by cheese

i onestly dont see how the problems you face as a farmer are my fault, i dont see how i am not aloud to enjoy extreme weather because other people dont.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The "people shouldn't wish for x type of weather" argument really grates on me. The weather will do as it pleases. If we all stopped wishing for our favourite types of weather because someone else is inconvenienced by it, we'd all have to be thoroughly miserable through every type of weather.

There is nothing wrong with hoping for a certain kind of weather.

• Like 6