Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

One of the mildest Winters for some years?

The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Posted · Hidden by reef, January 10, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by reef, January 10, 2014 - No reason given

And you can put up with a bit of long grass on your lawn I'm sure or tarmac over it if it bothers you that much. I hope you're right about the blocked roads as I don't get paid if I can't get to work and as I live at nearly 1000 ft in a little village and roads here are obviously not a priority for clearing.

As unpleasant as it sounds for you when cold weather hits, it is nobody's fault on here.

• Like 1
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

As unpleasant as it sounds for you when cold weather hits, it is nobody's fault on here.

Where did I say it was? I suggest you go back and look at my original comment a few posts back and the reply from the person I have been replying to, or are you just producing more bias as usual to the cold weather brigade who can moan as much as they like.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Posted (edited) · Hidden by reef, January 10, 2014 - No reason given

And you can put up with a bit of long grass on your lawn I'm sure or tarmac over it if it bothers you that much. I hope you're right about the blocked roads as I don't get paid if I can't get to work and as I live at nearly 1000 ft in a little village and roads here are obviously not a priority for clearing.

I'm sure with all your hot air you melt it soon enough. Posted Image

Now why live somewhere 1000ft up when you don't like a little bit of cold?

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1
Posted

If you live at 1000ft surely you're bound to get snowed in at times, even more so if you live on a hill.

I hate these arguments because they always crop up periodically and always go round and round in circles. Surely we can all agree that you can like whatever weather you want without feeling guilty about it; after all, one person's pleasure is often another person's pain. It's not like the desired extremes happen that often anyway, and life's too short not to make the most of such situations when they arise.

I would just add that it annoys me when people assume you only like snow because it doesn't inconvenience you. That's completely untrue, it's just that a lot of people like snow enough that they feel it's worth going through inconvenience to appreciate. I also hate it when it when the guilt-trippers do their thing when the weather has worked entirely in their favour: it's only natural that coldies are going to crave cold even more when there's been a distinct lack of it about. It was the same in the summer of 2012 when some people were accusing others of being selfish and perverse for wanting a heatwave when it was sunless and lashing down with temperatures stuck in the mid-teens. That sort of stuff really gets on my nerves.

By the way, bring on the next February 1947. Posted Image

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1
Posted

Congleton Heat- in peace mate, I hate to say it but why live at 1000' if you hate cold and snow that much? You're only 10 miles from CreweCold who seems to get **** all snow, even less than here. I remember a poster on here who moved to Buxton from Berkshire and used to keep moaning it wasn't as warm....

• Like 1
Posted

I'm sure with all your hot air you melt it soon enough. Posted Image

Now why live somewhere 1000ft up when you don't like a little bit of cold?

Why do you live in England if you can't handle a soggy lawn.

I live here because it is the village I was born in, a beautiful crime free place with stunning views all over Cheshire and I don't ever want to move. why don't all the coldies move to the scottish highlands if they want cold and snow?

Posted

Why do you live in England if you can't handle a soggy lawn.

I live here because it is the village I was born in, a beautiful crime free place with stunning views all over Cheshire and I don't ever want to move. why don't all the coldies move to the scottish highlands if they want cold and snow?

Nothing wrong at all with staying where you are, even if you don't like the weather. Just as long as you don't expect others to be bothered when the snow does hit up there (I'm not saying you do by the way). The same logic applies to everyone whatever their weather preferences.

For my part I can live with a soggy lawn but not a total lack of frost (never mind snow). I was in the southern hemisphere last winter, so I haven't actually seen snow since 16th December 2011 (about an inch which was gone the next morning). After months of hot weather abroad and a nice summer here I'm really in the mood for something wintry, so I'd be especially disappointed if things don't change this winter.

Edited by AderynCoch
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Where did I say it was? I suggest you go back and look at my original comment a few posts back and the reply from the person I have been replying to, or are you just producing more bias as usual to the cold weather brigade who can moan as much as they like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Just to my surprise,december wasn't as mild as I thought,just done some digging,according to met office a list of warmest Decembers since1908

year average temp   air frosts

1974 7.35 2

1934  7.25 0

1988 7.15 1

1924 6.9 1 

1971 6.3  3

2006 6.3  0

1918 6.25 5

1942 6.2 4

2013 6.2 3

The above figures are for my local area!

Posted

Lots of posts removed due to bickering, can we stick to the topic at hand?

Thanks

Posted

Whys the banter been removed I thought it was funny???????

Anyway my first air frost is a knife edge I suspect we won't get one. As for Snow no sign of any next week either.

Bad news for Gardeners all the pests will be nice and happy with this mild rubbish it's going to be a slug rampage this spring and if a wet summer well say no more.

Posted

Whys the banter been removed I thought it was funny???????

Anyway my first air frost is a knife edge I suspect we won't get one. As for Snow no sign of any next week either.

Bad news for Gardeners all the pests will be nice and happy with this mild rubbish it's going to be a slug rampage this spring and if a wet summer well say no more.

Agreed mate, just a bit of good natured banter, a bit of over moderation I think.

And to whichever person who reported me I am not a previously banned member.

Edited by CongletonHeat
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

It hasnt felt exceptionally mild here but i guess temps of 8/9/10c is mild for January. Havent seen a single snowflake this winter.i've noticed how my heating's been clicking off after an hour in the morning and mid evening, so that's a plus.This winter is certainly reminding me of my childhood and teens - early/mid 70s here were wet and mild with v little snow year after year. Same goes for mid/late 90s into the noughties.Mind you 2011/12 was virtually snowless as well.Depressing stuff - if February cant deliver cold and snow for at least one week then roll on an early warm Spring - not a lover of late cold in March or April.

February and well into March could turn out to be bitterly cold......then most would agree that although a late starter 2013/14 winter was very acceptable, strange how perceptions can change like the erm weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

February and well into March could turn out to be bitterly cold......then most would agree that although a late starter 2013/14 winter was very acceptable, strange how perceptions can change like the erm weather

Yes, in the winter of 46/47, to date it would have been very average (it wasn't actually mild to this point, like this year) but the memorable stuff was from about the last week of January until mid March. Posted Image

Who knows what will happen, but I'm still cautiously optimistic that a fair few of us will still see a decent blanket of snow this winter. Posted Image

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Well I can confirm that Snow isn't extinct yet. It was actually cold enough this morning for Snow at Fox house albeit briefly. Turned to sleet within minutes. I failed to capture and pickle this rare thing called a snow flake I think it's called that. Am I right??? I'm sorry for missing the opportunity.

Even stranger you can actually call today cold so far. The worlds gone crazy am I going to get this thing called an air frost tonight???? Am I able to to put the cider outside because it's colder than fridge tonight too cool it down nicely?

Posted

Blimey an air frost quiet a sharp one as well. Off to pickle it now.

Posted

Only Tuesday forecast to come in below average the rest of the week mild a good +2C above normal  GFS is showing a cool down this coming weekend but it tends to under do the temps pushing them as the time comes closer. A snow free January is looking more and more certain as a mild Jan.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

It certainly feels like it's been one of the mildest Winters I can ever remember. 

I think we've only put the heating on half a dozen times this winter and most of those were in late November. 

With no hint of anything cold coming on the Met Office longer range outlook which currently goes up to 10th Feb I think.....then if we are to get a colder period to tip the overall balance back, I'd say this Winter will without doubt come out as one of the mildest since the turn of the century if not THE mildest since 2000.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It certainly feels like it's been one of the mildest Winters I can ever remember. 

I think we've only put the heating on half a dozen times this winter and most of those were in late November. 

With no hint of anything cold coming on the Met Office longer range outlook which currently goes up to 10th Feb I think.....then if we are to get a colder period to tip the overall balance back, I'd say this Winter will without doubt come out as one of the mildest since the turn of the century if not THE mildest since 2000.

hmm 2006 - 2007 could take some beating that was the 2nd warmest on record with a mean temperature of 5.47C

If we finish above average again this month it could be done all would come down to February

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

hmm 2006 - 2007 could take some beating that was the 2nd warmest on record with a mean temperature of 5.47C

If we finish above average again this month it could be done all would come down to February

Yeah good point, I expect there are a few others in there that might be milder than this one too, I think I was just letting off some steam.

It really has felt incredibly warm IMBY this Winter, or maybe it's because I have put on weight and don't feel it as much as I did when I was a stick insect with no meat on me bones :-)

Posted

Mildest winters here 1997/98 at 6.5C 1988/89 at 6.5C and the third warmest 2007 at 6.1C. All very much in line to be broken. This all depends what happens in the next six weeks. GFS showing a return to zonal conditions in deep fi which could mean anything of course. In the reliable time frame zilch really.