Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 16/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Just on the phone to a supplier in Reading who interrupted the conversation to tell me that it was lumping it down. Heard the intensive rain over the phone.

• Like 1

Posted

Stormy weather thwarts Sussex beach fishermen

Fishermen on the Sussex coast have said the stormy weather has had a devastating impact on their work. Many fishermen in the county use vessels which are shorter than 10m (33ft). In Hastings, which is reported to have the largest beach-launched fishing fleet in Britain, some fishermen said they have been only able to make three trips in two months. Fish shops in the area have said prices have risen as a result.

Mark Woodley, a fisherman from Hastings, said he would usually make 15 outings each month. "We've had a major problem for the past couple of months - the weather's just been a no-go," he said. "We've done three or four trips, the wind has been so strong that not a lot of people have risked the launch and get back on to the beach. "It's so easy to do a lot of damage to the boat. "It's been a tough old time for us and it's still going on."

Sebastian Candelon, who is the director of The Fresh Fish Shop, with branches in Haywards Heath and West Grinstead said: "It is definitely the worst I've ever seen it being, since the seven years I've been in the trade. "Prices reached their peak about two weeks ago, when lemon sole and monkfish doubled in price."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-25756248

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Posted Imagerain.jpg

This is not showing the direction of the showers.. They are moving due north.. slightly North East 

This is showing how they will move across our Region.. As the front moves over

Oooh! We in Ippy might hear a rumble or two, then. Goody, goody!! :D

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all. got 2/3rds of way to office, realised no laptop, turned back to get it, took another 2 hours to get home, hence 3 hours in car and £12 of diesel to end up in my own study!  Deep breath.....

Anyway, just posted by Ian F on the MAD thread, shows all may not be lost in the hope for something colder...

"Actually as of last night, 50% of MOGREPS members heralded an easterly by next Fri and that suite is currently exhibiting near record high levels of Shannon entropy out through day 10 onward. Given some support (albeit still minority) in EC ENS for cut-off low to SE and easterly feed, UKMO urging caution on being too prescriptive end of next week onwards, despite majority westerly solutions. In short: nothing yet discounted."

Sunny intervals now in Reigate.  Some of the plants in the garden have buds that I wouldn't normally expect to see until March!

AS

• Like 9

Posted

Morning all, have only just woken up had a bad night with this blinking cough and aches and pains so didn't get to sleep till about 3. I vaguely heard some heavy rain earlier this morning no idea what time it was as I was more keen on getting back to sleep. I really really don't want anymore rain now this is getting beyond a joke, every time the dogs go out in the garden they seem to bring more and more mud into the house and its getting everywhere.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Just checking in. Charlwood is bright sunshine and blue skies now, as for Reigate really.

Keeping our fingers crossed the storms are not too bad as our roof still isn't done! However the rain last night didn't get in, thankfully.

Agree with you AS - we have bulbs up and buds about to burst which shouldn't even be showing now.

WE NEED SOME COLD AND SNOW!

Someone please pop over to North Pole and ship some back Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Someone please pop over to North Pole and ship some back Posted Image

I ordered some for Christmas, but it hasn't arrived yet and I really don't know why.....

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

I ordered some for Christmas, but it hasn't arrived yet and I really don't know why.....

Posted Image

This needs the caption:

"Santa's Christmas Snow - FAIL" 

• Like 1

Posted

Proving that it's not always appropriate to call it the MAD thread, can I draw your attention to a fantastic post that our Tamara has just made there - calm, informed, rational and very well written. Probably get deleted!

Thanks Tamara

AS

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. Posted Image

Sun poking through here now.

I see Roger Lloyd-Pack - Trigger - has died of pancreatic cancer! Posted Image

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Afternoon all

Getting a little excited about the prospect of a Shannon Entrophy (must look that up when I have time) and MOGREPS at 50% chance of chilly.

Got a new job on 1st Jan so dont want to spend too much time on t'internet and get fired just yet for looking up Shannon Entrophy on WIki. Got a lot of meetings to go to where I will need to be AWAKE Posted Image and provide some rational, auditable guidance on how to spend £1.2 billion in the next 5 years (not as bad as it sounds). I dont think any of its coming my way, but I can dream.

Been outside of the office, onto a hillock to try to get a better mobile phone signal. Failed, but did get quite cold after 5 mins in the stiff breeze... I cant tell you which direction the breeze and hence weather is coming from, as I have no sense of direction at all.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

RIP Trigger - you dozy old twonk....very sad news

• Like 6

Posted

Awwww, poor old Trig. Sleep well you twonk. :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Afternoon all

Getting a little excited about the prospect of a Shannon Entrophy (must look that up when I have time) 

It's really nothing to get excited about......it's an information theory developed by Claude E. Shannon to find fundamental limits on signal processing operations such as compressing data and on reliably storing and communicating data. Entropy quantifies the uncertainty involved in predicting the value of a random variable. For example, specifying the outcome of a fair coin flip (two equally likely outcomes) provides less information (lower entropy) than specifying the outcome from a roll of a die (six equally likely outcomes).

Not weather related but I know there are some Dr Who fans on here.....

post-10773-0-70180000-1389876640_thumb.j

Have you seen what's inside this police box located outside the Earl's Court Underground station? It's on Google Maps, click here: http://bit.ly/K39Aym and click the double arrow on the street view.

• Like 6

Posted

'noon all. seem to be dodging the showers here in St James'

quite nice out actually. by nice i mean, dry and cool.

Triggers Broom will always be one of my most enjoyed clips. although there was not a single episode of OFAH where Trigger didnt give a good laugh.

RIP Roger

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Afternoon all,

Well after this mornings dull and gloomy start, the weather picked up and since about 10am we have had pleseant amounts of sunshine.  The wind seems to of picked up this afternoon, and cloud cover seems more extensive now.  Oh well, it was good while it lasted Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Hands up, who was under this one?!!! :lol: 

post-6667-0-43992900-1389882830_thumb.jp

Seems to be cranking up a little in France now, target time is still after 18z if it's coming.

Posted

Blue sky and sun shine in Ippy. Niece just arrived in France on EuroStar but not said what the weather is like there. They'll probably get all the thunder. Typical!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Very dark out to the SW of the office......Can't see if it's raining yet, but I imagine it won't be long...