Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the Scottish mountains - 2014

firefly

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Looking nice on Nevis Range

Edited by Polar Maritime

Do you think summer skiing would be possible Firefly given the amount of snow? I assume a bumper year for snow patches is a distinct possibility?

Almost certainly yes to both those questions. I'd expect to see summer skiing at Glencoe and Cairngorm. Nevis a bit more tricky to predict. However, I expect to see patches survive at places not seen since 2001. Vintage year, as you say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Most snow in hills in 69 years, says Hamish MacInnes

World-renowned climber Hamish MacInnes believes this winter in Scotland's mountains is the snowiest since 1945. He said he had not seen such "colossal volumes" of snow since he started climbing as a youngster 69 years ago.  Dumfries and Galloway-born Mr MacInnes is also the inventor of mountaineering equipment, including a stretcher. He said: "The first time I went climbing was in 1945 and I remember cutting our way through snow in Glencoe. "I've not seen anything like it until now. "This covering of snow we have just now is very alpine. There is a very defined demarcation line between where the snow starts and the bare grass below. "The volume of snow is colossal. It has been falling for weeks now." Mr MacInnes, whose first climb was Buachaille Etive Mor, added: "The biggest accumulations have been on the main plateaus."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-26339994

Posted

Nevis Range today, looks more like the Alps.

post-12319-0-08438400-1393801942_thumb.j

Posted

Glencoe looks buried again due to fresh drifting snow overnight, superb conditions throughout.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Posted

I took this photo on Saturday of a heavily snow-covered Beinn Heasgarnich, a mountain about 15 miles or so south-east of the Glencoe Ski Centre.  As you can see, it looks pretty loaded with snow.

The rather sprawling, shallow-ish corrie in front and to the left of the summit is Coire Ban Mor, which is one of the longest lasting snow sites in the southern part of the Highlands.  I think it is usually the last or next-to-last site in Perthshire to retain snow in most years. I believe Firefly has visited the long-lying snow site in the past and posted photos so he might be able to confirm if I have the location correct.

Posted Image

Edited by spindrift1980

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I took this photo on Saturday of a heavily snow-covered Beinn Heasgarnich, a mountain about 15 miles or so south-east of the Glencoe Ski Centre. As you can see, it looks pretty loaded with snow.

The rather sprawling, shallow-ish corrie in front and to the left of the summit is Coire Ban Mor, which is one of the longest lasting snow sites in the southern part of the Highlands. I think it is usually the last or next-to-last site in Perthshire to retain snow in most years. I believe Firefly has visited the long-lying snow site in the past and posted photos so he might be able to confirm if I have the location correct.

Posted Image

Is that taken from Meall Ghaordaidh? I have been up both but in poor visibility. It was in July some years ago that we climbed Heasgarnich and there was a snow patch present.

I think An Stuc has been the last to go in Perthshire n recent years. No doubt Firefly will confirm?

Edited by Norrance

Posted

It was taken from Meall nan Subh, a Corbett just on the other side of the pass from Beinn Heasgarnich, so a bit closer than Meall Ghaordaidh.

The An Stuc is certainly usually the last patch on the Lawers range to go, but I can't remember off the top of my head whether it usually outlasts Heasgarnich or not.

Posted

I think Ben Lawers (a bit like Ben Cruachan and Ben More) is the 'wrong shape' (for want of a better expression) for much snow retention beyond early summer despite its height, although it does usually retain patches into early summer.  I think one just below An Stuc is usually the last one to go.

A quick scan of some threads from previous years suggests that Beinn Heasgarnich's Coire Ban Mor usually lasts longer despite being lower than Ben Lawers.

Looks like milder and sometimes wet weather later this week might bring a bit of a hosing and blow-dry to the hills, so a loss of some of the more superficial snow cover might give a clearer idea of the size and location of the deepest drifts.

Posted
Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not a lot of snow loss today with altitude. A wee top up tomorrow and then mostly sunny. With low dew points, dry air and cool nights hopefully the sun won,t do too much damage. Some indications of cool wet weather later on in the week so all to play for. 

Posted

Looking majestic up there today, still battling every morning to clear the lifts.. Lovely bluebird day for the lucky few who have managed to bunk off work!

post-12319-0-86858900-1394535182_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Yesterday was glorious according to my climbing friends on Ben Nevis, plenty of sun cream was used ! some massive cornices starting to drop now so picking routes carefully. Hope people play safe over the next few weeks as things are on the move.. Another bluebird day today with perfect conditions, could be the last for a while as more unsettled conditions start to move in Thursday with Storm Force winds and snow by the weekend.

post-12319-0-97928000-1394614575_thumb.j

post-12319-0-16641300-1394614601_thumb.j

post-12319-0-02273400-1394614624_thumb.j

post-12319-0-96932400-1394614643_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Took advantage of the brief spell of decent weather earlier this week, was up Ben Nevis on Weds, huge amounts of snow in perfect condition and fantastic weather. Really was the best it gets in Scotland.

Nipped up to check out the avalanche that had come down Corrie na Tulaich on Buachaille Etive Mor 3 weeks ago. Very impressive, had traveled a fair way down!

post-11548-0-82667800-1394926457_thumb.jpost-11548-0-21097900-1394926474_thumb.jpost-11548-0-08207100-1394926485_thumb.j

post-11548-0-28930300-1394926540_thumb.j

post-11548-0-69470900-1394926552_thumb.j

post-11548-0-09976100-1394926562_thumb.j

post-11548-0-82301600-1394926571_thumb.j

post-11548-0-75058800-1394926580_thumb.j

post-11548-0-21839800-1394926587_thumb.j

Edited by Mountain Snow

Posted

Some great shots there MS of CMD Arete, about as Alpine as it gets!, planning on getting up there early April after the next unsettled spell. Very dangerous conditions up there now with massive cornice collapses.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Posted Image

Here are two photos from early last week of the Grey Corries showing a few slides due to high rise in  temperatures and heavy rainfall.

The first photo shows you the length of the slide at least 500 meters in length the second is a close up looking at the depth of the crown wall and the depth of the side walls.

The photos were taken five days after the slides due to poor visibility.

Posted Image

http://backcorries.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/full-depth-avalanches/

Posted

The snow cover must have taken quite a big dent, although as ever its all about altitude.

With the colder temperatures expected, it should firm up the snowpack - and some snow would do :good:

stunning photo's top notch!

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

With over 40cm fresh snow over night Glencoe is looking as grand as ever this morning.

Posted Image

post-12319-0-06094800-1395568088_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Really has been an amazing winter up there, snow has rivalled the alps and conditions have been too snowy at points, just a shame we don't have the mountains too enable the sort of runs available in the alps