Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the Scottish mountains - 2014

firefly

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Report on the snow cover here about 12:45 minutes in ... 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03zhbtf/Reporting_Scotland_31_03_2014/

Posted

The next few weeks are looking damp and mild. In contrast, last spring was rather snowy and I'm sure the highest parts weren't at their maximum depth this time last year. The exceptional snow depth back in early March surely won't be too exceptional anymore?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The next few weeks are looking damp and mild. In contrast, last spring was rather snowy and I'm sure the highest parts weren't at their maximum depth this time last year. The exceptional snow depth back in early March surely won't be too exceptional anymore?

I don't think so , look at these charts,,,good news for the Scottish industry,,,,

post-6830-0-86347200-1396385717_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-60723400-1396385769_thumb.pn

Edited by ANYWEATHER

• 3 weeks later...

Though scarcely believable to most in south (given the mild and snowless winter at low level), there remains a mind-boggling quantity of snow on some of the mountains in Scotland.

Winter was characterised by a very distinct 'split' in terms of the snowline. Whilst there was very little below 2000ft, much of what fell above this during the whole of January and February was wintry in nature. Bear in mind the big Atlantic storms that battered the country, and the associated amounts of precipitation they deposited. The upshot is that record volumes of snow fell on the high hills of Glen Coe and Lochaber, as well as the hills around the Glen Shee ski centre.

Moreover, the direction of these storms (mostly westerly, south-westerly and southerly) was very favourable for the usual east and NE-facing long-lying snow locations. These locations, sheltered to a significant degree from the summer sun and SW 'hairdryer' winds, generally hold snow longest. With that in mind, I predict that locations which do not normally survive long into the summer will last until at least autumn (September 22 onward). This assumes the summer being 'average'!

For example, this photograph shows the amount of snow present at Meall a' Bhuiridh at Glencoe ski area at present. This photograph, from a few years ago and a month earlier, shows how it looks 'normally' during winter. As you can see, almost unrecognisable. I would imagine that this story is repeated amongst many western hills, but we will see how summer progresses.

It's worth mentioning that some of the lower hills in the Borders also did well. A few above 700 metres managed to catch a lot of the snow that fell. I went for a jaunt up Broad Law on Saturday past, and despite the apparent lack of snow on other aspects, NE facing ones above 700m still carry large wreaths. This photograph of me shows the hugely impressive cornice (complete with crevasses!) still on Polwood Craig, here: http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=315171&Y=624147&A=Y&Z=115

All contributions welcome!

Edited by firefly

Posted

Back Corries today looking as majestic as ever..

post-12319-0-71568900-1398029369_thumb.j

Posted

Fantastic to see that much snow now and, as you say, it should hang on for months. Having done some winter mountaineering in and around Glencoe and Lochaber I love seeing what's still on the ground, and then conjuring up the steel on ice sound of crampons on frozen snow. With all the hours of daylight now there aren't many places better than Scotland for Spring/Winter walking and climbing. Even my neck of the woods in the Surrey Hills has to take a back seat!

AS

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Still some massive cornices left and plenty of Snow-cover on the higher slopes, This was taken last weekend on Nevis Range.

Posted

Snow forecast for the next five days on Nevis Range, winter is still hanging on up there.

post-12319-0-91191300-1399280876_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
For people whose feeling for snow borders on the obsessive, this is an exciting yet poignant time of year. In those elevated places where it still clings to rock and grass, snow is melting fast. England can expect to lose its last patches of white this week or next. Welsh reserves might last a little longer. But it is in Scotland where things get interesting.

Iain Cameron is fascinated by long-lying snow and leads a growing community of obsessives dedicated to celebrating and recording the vestiges of winter. Some snow patches routinely survive through the summer, only to be buried under fresh falls the following winter. The best known among them have evocative names such as "the laird's tablecloth".

Posted

Yes Firefly, Keep up the good work! Will look forward to your reports over the Summer  :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Love looking at this thread with it's pictures and videos of snow......it keeps me sane! ;)

Posted

Thanks, PM! Yes, that's me. Who says snow doesn't get you famous??

There's also a BBC feature I did last weekend (10th May), which is available to listen to here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04366rh Skip to 1:08:25 for the good stuff...

Updates to come later. I'm off to the Lakes tonight to scope out England's last few patches.

Still a surprising amount of patches left round here despite the mild spring. Apart from the obvious Helvellyn and the Dodds there's at least one tiny patch on Rampsgill Head and a sizable patch on Loadpot Hill, spotted that from the Mellerby to Penrith road. Never noticed anything  last there before. It'll be interesting to see what makes it though this warm spell and into June.

Posted

I would have said it was more to the North East of the summit, hard to tell of size from that distance and I was driving. I'll see if I can get a photo sometime this week.

There was still a patch of snow on the North flank of the Cheviot last week, I haven't had a clear sight of the hills since then so I'm not sure if it is still there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yes still at least 3 patches ,one good size patch visible heading west on the A66 towards Keswick[not sure what fell that is?]

Could not see anything on cross fell heading the other way.Amazing compared to how little we have had back home!!!

Posted

Still pretty snowy on Bidean nan Bian..

post-12319-0-97941900-1401094649_thumb.j

Posted

The Back Corries are still holding plenty of snow, A very slow avalanche shown here in East Gully yesterday..

http://vimeo.com/96998076

Also Ben Nevis is looking very good for 1st day of Summer.

post-12319-0-30257500-1401606380_thumb.j

post-12319-0-09031700-1401607517_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

^^^^^^^^^

good to see some decent patches of snow left up there and a really good job those shorts aren't any baggier :rofl:

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I've never seen snow that deep in June or even.......Winter :good:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Some good pics there guys.Looking forward to seeing for myself when wife and i are up at Braemar later next week.Will be touring the Cairngorms,Aviemore area.This will be our 3rd visit.

We love it around the Highlands especially this time of year with around 20hrs daylight.