Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the Scottish mountains - 2014

firefly

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Great stuff FireFly, Much easy'er on the legs!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Gordon Simpson's picture of Aonach Beag from yesterday. Still massive depth for late June, as testified by skis! pic.twitter.com/OShQXJ3CJF

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

saw this on twitter so thought I would add it here

Sean Batty â€@SeanBattySTV 17m

Loving the solstice snow on Ben Nevis today during my hike for @stvappeal #hifling

post-18233-0-52360300-1403380441_thumb.j

Posted

great to see so many winter sporting and I especially like the one with some lang lauf skiing, it is so graceful when you see it, well I think so anyway!

Posted

Posted

great to see so many winter sporting and I especially like the one with some lang lauf skiing, it is so graceful when you see it, well I think so anyway!

Yes John, Used to think it was amusing but as you say very graceful and almost majestic!

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

thank you !

Posted

BUS said to repost over here from the Scotland and northern England thread. Great sunny day here but was 4.5c at 5.00am this morning. with shower cumulus coming in off the North Sea on a NE wind.this afternoon.Posted Image

Very cool out there tonight as I was scarifying the neeps at 8.5c with fresh NE wind and blue skies out over the Firth to the NE with some small shower cumulus on the horizon with a grey sheet of cloud over us .A classic clearance in winter to a much colder arctic airstream. I see Glencoe had about 80 skiers out on midsummers day on some fairly lengthy runs.

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The synoptics for Scotland look very healthy for some snow on the mountains to retain in the days ahead, indeed some snow patches could well last until the Autumn. :clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:

Posted

The synoptics for Scotland look very healthy for some snow on the mountains to retain in the days ahead, indeed some snow patches could well last until the Autumn. :clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:

Currently 0.5c on the top of Cairngorm!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Snow still surviving on at least one sub 3000 foot hill South of Loch Tay. This was Creagan Na Beinn in mid June in the link below. It has shrunk but is still there now.

post-4999-0-65636800-1405460480_thumb.jp

Despite the warm Spring and early Summer many patches have lasted  longer this  year than usual.

Edited by Norrance

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Amazing aerial footage of the remaining snows on Bidean nam Bian, Glencoe. Filmed on the 22nd of July by our own Scottish snow expert Iain Cameron.  :) 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Want to know why there was so much snow in the hills of Scotland this year?   Here you go!

http://theiaincameron.tumblr.com/post/89751251676/3-winter-2013-2014-lots-of-snow-and-no-snow-why

Follow me on Twitter @theiaincameron

Any updates firefly for those of us that don't use Twitter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Snow forecast on the Cairngorm Plateau on Monday with further wintry showers through to Wednesday. Though several recent Augusts have had snow falling and lying none have been anything like as early as this.

Won't last but cold temps will certainly help snow patch retention. May be a lot of counting in this years August snow patch survey, due on the 22nd this year.

Posted

Counting patches could be quite difficult if there's a fresh cover!

If that did happen I think they would have to delay a day or two

Greetings, folks. 

You'll need to forgive the lack of input on this thread by me this year. I've been busy with plenty of stuff, and I've neglected some of the things I'd rather not have. This being one!

As has been mentioned, there's a snow survey happening on 22-23 August. We're going to try and cover every hill in Scotland still likely to be holding snow. Of course, it's going to be difficult this year by dint of the fact that there's still a huge amount of it in places that don't normally hold any at this time of the year. For example, Carn na Caim, a modest-sized hill easily visible from the A9 at Dalwhinnie, still has a very deep patch on a NW aspect (see attached image).

Video of Carn na Caim from my new toy... 

The Ben Nevis range of hills is still holding a massive amount of snow (see attached image). I fully expect there to be multiple survivals there this year, but as always it's a case of keeping an eye out. post-7268-0-71984300-1408358886_thumb.jp

I'll update the forum when the August survey is done, complete with a bit more flesh on the bones than I've put here.

post-7268-0-54510200-1408358871_thumb.jp

Posted

The first snow of the new season has fallen on the summit of Ben Nevis! https://twitter.com/theiaincameron/status/501712048217419776

Great stuff! And what a great season it's been for Snow Patches.

Thanks for the up-date Firfly, And the hard work put into it  :)

Posted

Greetings, folks. 

You'll need to forgive the lack of input on this thread by me this year. I've been busy with plenty of stuff, and I've neglected some of the things I'd rather not have. This being one!

As has been mentioned, there's a snow survey happening on 22-23 August. We're going to try and cover every hill in Scotland still likely to be holding snow. Of course, it's going to be difficult this year by dint of the fact that there's still a huge amount of it in places that don't normally hold any at this time of the year. For example, Carn na Caim, a modest-sized hill easily visible from the A9 at Dalwhinnie, still has a very deep patch on a NW aspect (see attached image).

looks like it has diminished a bit since I was up there in mid July, but I recognised that straight away.Was very surprised at the extent of snow at the time still on the Drumochter hills

Edited by Essan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

And yes more snow is likely......

post-6830-0-52348500-1408476124_thumb.gi