Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

My area back at home has flooded for the first time since 1967 and the first floods in Buntingford and surrounding areas caused by successive bands of rain ever. Buntingford has flooded but only from thunderstorms if I remember rightly. Some homes in orbiting villages have been flooded for the first time ever as well. This has been an exceptional spell of weather.

• Like 2

Posted

My area back at home has flooded for the first time since 1967 and the first floods in Buntingford and surrounding areas caused by successive bands of rain ever. Buntingford has flooded but only from thunderstorms if I remember rightly. Some homes in orbiting villages have been flooded for the first time ever as well. This has been an exceptional spell of weather.

Hertfordshire as a whole seems to be suffering its worst flooding in a very long time, the water levels are just so high!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I believe this must be the first flood warning from the environment agency for Buntingford, incredible. I just want to see how swollen that river is back at home!post-15503-0-31991500-1391770756_thumb.p

Posted

This short video from Ireland made me angry…

What on earth was this stupid woman thinking of endangering herself and her poor dog in this way?

We saw that on the news and we both said as well, put herself in danger if she must but spare the poor dog.

Posted

Morning all,

bit of a nervous wait for me today as my sister-in-law has a big cancer operation going on right now - a couple of weeks ago she thought everything was normal but one lot of tests led to another which led to today, so I've got everything crossed for her, it's a big worry as my brother (her husband) also isn't in the best of health.

On top of that having to run up and down to East Grinstead where my mother is being treated for skin cancer but thankfully that's looks under control now at present. 

Haven't been online for a couple of days but thought I would scan the forum whilst waiting for news, so if any of you suddenly think your like count has gone up, it will probably be down to me!

Big thank you's to Martyn (abruzzi spur) and John Pike for your messages.

Haven't had much chance to look at models but did notice something curious on the BBC weather output this morning with snow showing in the Atlantic and English Channel on Sunday (any one for a boat ride?).

Guess it's down to chilly 850's on a north-west wind!

Posted Imagebbcsnw.JPG Posted ImageUW60-7sbc.GIF

Loads of best wishes to you and your family, I am sure we are all thinking of you; in some way it could be a blessing if caught in time, but scary nonetheless.

Keep weather watching when you need a break from it all (not that this is stress-free at the moment!).

Plentiful evidence of the rain and flooding along the Thames into Kingston and surrounding areas, the Hampton stretch had spread over the banks and the whole drive in was very puddly (not helped by me turning back as I wasn't sure I had shut the front door properly, must be something to do with age). Really feel for those people in my home neck of the woods - my parents know how lucky they are being in the Mendip Hills (although some of the villages get cut off during snow) at this time when friends only miles away are really suffering.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Morning all,

bit of a nervous wait for me today as my sister-in-law has a big cancer operation going on right now - a couple of weeks ago she thought everything was normal but one lot of tests led to another which led to today, so I've got everything crossed for her, it's a big worry as my brother (her husband) also isn't in the best of health.

On top of that having to run up and down to East Grinstead where my mother is being treated for skin cancer but thankfully that's looks under control now at present. 

Haven't been online for a couple of days but thought I would scan the forum whilst waiting for news, so if any of you suddenly think your like count has gone up, it will probably be down to me!

Haven't had much chance to look at models but did notice something curious on the BBC weather output this morning with snow showing in the Atlantic and English Channel on Sunday (any one for a boat ride?).

Best wishes to you and the family.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Flood alerts, and Dawlish. Horrific!!

post-17085-0-36179000-1391772416_thumb.j

post-17085-0-42996600-1391772438_thumb.j

Posted

Morning all,

Going through a similar thing myself at the moment. Best wishes to all and yours. Keep strong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

KEeping everything crossed for you and yours BJ and to you Jules xxx

Not looking good later this evening. Please stay safe guys n galls

Edited by lloydyd
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Morning all,

Hope all goes well for your sister-in-law BJ. My best wishes to you and yours. Edited by Keraunophile
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Tough times indeed.  All the very best with everything - loads of support from all on here I'm sure.

AS

• Like 7

Posted

Does it look like its tracking slightly further north?

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Posted

Both as of 9am

Posted Image

Posted Image9am.jpg

Slightly further south to me..

DOH I actually meant south lol. Sorry im tired hehe, it is Friday after all.....

Not going to be good.....

Posted

She is moving though pretty bloody fast to..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Slightly deeper than the GFS has as well...

Yea, I notice that too. Do you think thats been accounted for with the timescales for hitting us and for the length it will go on for?

Also it may well slow as it hits land?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Both as of 9am

Posted Image

Posted Image9am.jpg

Slightly further south to me..

Agree, looks a bit further south. Tomorrow looks grim Spoke to my brother, who lives 40 miles north of Paris, he said the winds there were really nasty overnight into this morning. Nothing compared to what the ECM is showing for next week...scary stuff!

Yea, I notice that too. Do you think thats been accounted for with the timescales for hitting us and for the length it will go on for?

Also it may well slow as it hits land?

Erm, will have to wait and watch the live surface pressure and compare it to when the 12z comes out around 3 then we can compare and see what is actually going to happen, plus.. The low to the east of the UK is slightly deeper than forecast will have to wait and see.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Honest opinions please (weather related and need to decide within the next 2 hours) would you risk a trip to Devon this weekend. Go around 4pm and returning Sunday lunch time.

Have had a really bad time personally this week and desperately need a break. As I have hit breaking point.

Katie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

BB54, I'd give that post multiple likes if I could!

Another thing occurred to me, when reading the posts (not thankfully on this forum!) of some saying the people who choose to live in flood-prone areas are somehow to blame for their fate: actually, we should be really proud that we have been able to claim land from the sea, and make a living from it, for so long. It's a real tribute to human ingenuity. It's just tragic that years of short-sighted government have put that in jeopardy.

Edited by kate1
  • Like 7