Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I love this forum to bits but I have to say sometimes we get ourselves a bit too worked up in here. Talk of putting off travel plans etc tomorrow just feels a bit extreme to me. Yes it will be windy, yes it will be rainy but I have to say I think the world will keep on turning. Pals of mine that arent weather geeks wouldn't even notice any real change tomorrow to the usual clag we've been experiencing lately. Stick to your plans, take caution, keep smiling Posted Image

With all due respect Reevesie I think the advice offered to put off travel plans ( and I was one of those who advised against it ) was location specific and in response to a particular post requesting advice. I can't see any posts suggesting a widespread abandonment of travel plans throughout the whole region.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Rain for East of EnglandYellow Warning of Rain for East of England : Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Southend-on-Sea & Thurrock valid from 1900 Fri 07 Feb to 2345 Sat 08 Feb

post-10773-0-95270800-1391784084_thumb.j

There is also an Amber Warning out for Rain for parts of this region...

Amber warning of Rain

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham

Following the heavy rain that occurred on Thursday night another band of rain, heavy at times, accompanied by coastal gales will affect southwest England during Friday evening, moving quickly east across other southern areas early on Saturday. The rain will clear the extreme southeast of England on Saturday morning, to be followed by frequent heavy and squally showers.

The public should be prepared for disruption due to flooding.

This is an update to the warning first issued on Wednesday. The end time of the warning has been brought forward since the heaviest of the rain is expected to clear though on Saturday morning.  A yellow warning will remain in force through Saturday across the south to cater for further heavy showers.

Issued at:

1124 on Fri 7 Feb 2014

Valid from:

2000 on Fri 7 Feb 2014

Valid to:

0600 on Sat 8 Feb 2014

An area of low pressure and its associated frontal system gave some 15-30 mm of rain on Thursday night across many southern areas. This has led to further flooding in places.

A further Atlantic frontal system will bring a band of rain quickly eastwards during Friday night and early Saturday, with the heaviest rain again likely to be across parts of southern England, followed in turn by heavy showers. Another 10-20 mm of rain (and perhaps locally 30 mm on high ground) will fall in the Amber area, leading to further flooding. Winds will also be a feature during Friday night and Saturday with severe gales possible around coasts in the south and southwest of England.

For full and up to date information please check the Met Office site.....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=EFC782FC-6A09-AF52-A777-0C27F4BAB2D9_1_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1391817600

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

Oh the irony - I was supposed to go to Norwich today to collect a boat (!) and couldn't because of the flooding around Saffron Walden. I've not seen it this bad in 12 years of living here. 

So the plan is to try again tomorrow. Will it be any better or worse? I will be travelling in a high top van so not only unsure about the water but the winds.

Posted

With all due respect Reevesie I think the advice offered to put off travel plans ( and I was one of those who advised against it ) was location specific and in response to a particular post requesting advice. I can't see any posts suggesting a widespread abandonment of travel plans throughout the whole region.

Fair enough. It was a quick "skim read" as I tried to catch up on todays chat. I just think tomorrow, in our region at least, may just be another grey wet windy winters day. Roll on Spring ....
  • Like 2

Posted

Thanks for that. Yea I dread to think what it is like today it was pretty bad last Saturday.

Looks like we may have to bail out Yamkin and John P. South Croydon flooding has been declared a major incident by Croydon Council

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26081139

I am on the other side of Croydon in Shirley and very thankful.

The oncoming storm for Saturday/Sunday is going to be very bad. 100 mph gusts around some of the more exposed areas and 50 - 70 mph inland with torrential rain and there's more to come next week Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Cant even get into some parts of Watford today because of the flooding, its crazy!

Posted

Fair enough. It was a quick "skim read" as I tried to catch up on todays chat. I just think tomorrow, in our region at least, may just be another grey wet windy winters day. Roll on Spring ....

Agree there - because of the weather warnings in place for the SE most would assume that we would be looking at a period of quite stormy weather coming up, but away from the flood areas and coastal strips, it will be business as usual - just a bit wet and windy. 

Posted

Cant even get into some parts of Watford today because of the flooding, its crazy!

I'm not suprised given the non-stop rainfall in this area during the 24 hours between 0600 Thursday and 0600 Friday.

Posted

Oh the irony - I was supposed to go to Norwich today to collect a boat (!) and couldn't because of the flooding around Saffron Walden. I've not seen it this bad in 12 years of living here. 

So the plan is to try again tomorrow. Will it be any better or worse? I will be travelling in a high top van so not only unsure about the water but the winds.

It's going to be very stormy tmorrow into Sunday. If you must travel, please take care out there as it is going to be very bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

I'm looking forward to a trip down my local beach tomorrow, also might go along to cuckmere haven and check out that area.

Will try get some pictures to put on here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

It's going to be very stormy tmorrow into Sunday. If you must travel, please take care out there as it is going to be very bad.

Thanks Yamkin.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

Well that is me done work wise for the next three days (oh the bliss of that), fully plan to get a decent amount of family time in there but also some R&R, yes some chores will also be done as the pay off for three days is only one next week.

Still feeling nippy in the breeze, but at least it is dry and sunny for now, shame we cannot keep it for a few more days.

• Like 2

Posted

yams what is the croydon council response are they in a state of preparedness for this storm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Agree there - because of the weather warnings in place for the SE most would assume that we would be looking at a period of quite stormy weather coming up, but away from the flood areas and coastal strips, it will be business as usual - just a bit wet and windy.

I think it's a bit more than your average wet and windy weather - not many places left that are not flooded now - my afternoon walk through the Ouzel valley came to a halt ....post-10773-0-50031600-1391789785_thumb.jAlthough it's no where near as bad here as some places in the SW over half this field is underwater ... normally just a small tributary river flows along the bottom, it looks more like a lake now .....post-10773-0-10340100-1391789967_thumb.jIt's been quite nice to enjoy some dry and sunny weather today - even if it is the calm before the next cyclonic storm arrives ! Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 8

Posted

I think it's a bit more than your average wet and windy weather - not many places left that are not flooded now - my afternoon walk through the Ouzel valley came to a halt ....

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Although it's no where near as bad here as some places in the SW over half this field is underwater ... normally just a small tributary river flows along the bottom, it looks more like a lake now .....

Posted Imageimage.jpg

It's been quite nice to enjoy some dry and sunny weather today - even if it is the calm before the next cyclonic storm arrives !

Not even tried to get to the local lakes and river valley area and take a walk round them, have heard it is bad though

afternoon all. Sorry to hear a lot of people on here are struggling with personal problems. Hope all of you get to spend the weekend with loved ones. I am off to Paris on a 6.30 am Eurostar train tomorrow with a friend for a mini break. I'm currently considering what to pack. I think a dinghy and some armbands might be useful lol Posted Image

Posted

afternoon all. Sorry to hear a lot of people on here are struggling with personal problems. Hope all of you get to spend the weekend with loved ones. I am off to Paris on a 6.30 am Eurostar train tomorrow with a friend for a mini break. I'm currently considering what to pack. I think a dinghy and some armbands might be useful lol Posted Image

That all depends on the friend, but each to their own Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

What a gorgeous end to the day - calm before the storm! Glass dropped last night to 980mb but although it keeps good pressure it hasn't been reset for a bit. Rose to over 990mb this morning.

On a lighter note, the roofers came, saw the extent of the leakage, uummed and ahhed and went away again. They decided they will test the wall for water ingress, (no idea why they haven't so far), but they need 2 full dry days before they hose the side of the house down then they will rip the roof off and start again.

Doubt they will be back any time soon then! Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Agree there - because of the weather warnings in place for the SE most would assume that we would be looking at a period of quite stormy weather coming up, but away from the flood areas and coastal strips, it will be business as usual - just a bit wet and windy. 

That will be alot of areas!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Latest charts for next week.... Yikes

I must admit to having a slightly macabre fascination for how much the weather can throw at us but I think we've got the message in terms of wind and rain. Any chance of some of the white stuff for a bit of variety?

• Like 3

Posted

Latest charts for next week.... Yikes

I must admit to having a slightly macabre fascination for how much the weather can throw at us but I think we've got the message in terms of wind and rain. Any chance of some of the white stuff for a bit of variety?

Note sure I even want that now as it will just melt and add to the problem, we really do need that settled dry period and sooner rather than later now.