Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Great Thames Flood 2014

Eskimo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Post your stories, pictures and concerns in here. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Posted (edited) · Hidden by stainesbloke, February 9, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by stainesbloke, February 9, 2014 - No reason given

Thames flooding in Staines today.

Edited by stainesbloke
Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

We are in the early stages of a truly memorable flood of the whole Thames water system . All this water must pass the City of London . How this will be managed may become a major test of Britain in the 21st century .

If millionaires houses are already being sacrificed there may be trouble ahead .

2003 was as nothing compared to the current saturated landscape with the potential for 'new' water sources appearing almost anywhere.. 

And then there is the barrier up,barrier down dilemma .Atlantic storms have been pushing high seas our way too.. 

Weeks of drama and trauma in the lives of many beginning to unfold ....

A thread for all . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

Yes, this is a real concern for a major event. High value homes and more businesses at Risk. Interesting how the army are already in place with man power, sand bags, machinery whereas it took the government weeks to take any action in Somerset.

• Like 4

Posted

A major event for sure but not just limited to the Thames, many small rivers are flooding all over the place. My locality has not hit the national news at all, yet lots of serious minor floods - a small village called Hambledon has had its main road turned into a river for weeks, and many other spots have flooded - and where will it be by the end of the week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Ah , yes, rich peoples homes at risk, core Tory voters....

The main damage was done with last Wednesday to Friday mornings 18 hour deluge from a slow moving system that poured incessant heavy rain from the Midlands Southwards. This has already peaked rivers like the Avon/Cherwell and lots of Thames tributarys, so this was always going to happen, eyes watching fast moving storms and Somerset took eyes off the ball somewhat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

A major event so far has flooded 700 homes upto yesterday.

24,000 were flooded in Yorkshire a few years back in June as Paul Hudson mentioned tonight on his braodcast.Perspective needed.

As to be expected with media hype,Yorkshire was quickly forgotten.It has improved since the Beeb moved various sections to Salford

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

It looks like it will get worse before getting better I'm afraid. All of this oncoming rain will just add to whats already there. The Thames Barrier is nigh on useless in this scenario. The water will need to be managed very carefully when it meets the high tides flowing in from the other end. 

• Like 1

Posted

A major event so far has flooded 700 homes upto yesterday.24,000 were flooded in Yorkshire a few years back in June as Paul Hudson mentioned tonight on his braodcast.Perspective needed.As to be expected with media hype,Yorkshire was quickly forgotten.It has improved since the Beeb moved various sections to Salford

Very true not forgetting Hull in the 2007 the forgotten city
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Why is there a second thread open after I set one up yesterday?

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 1

Posted

24,000 were flooded in Yorkshire a few years back in June as Paul Hudson mentioned tonight on his braodcast.Perspective needed.

As to be expected with media hype,Yorkshire was quickly forgotten.It has improved since the Beeb moved various sections to Salford

Just how accurate is this! There are so many minor floods around the country, there must be thousands of homes that have flooded at some point in the last two months!

My apologies if this is a dumb question but here goes. With all the reports of flooding I n town and villages at various points along the Thames, what's stopping the authorities simply opening all the locks and letting the water flow into the sea. I know it can't be that simple but why not ? Thanks

Edited by fatdan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

My apologies if this is a dumb question but here goes. With all the reports of flooding I n town and villages at various points along the Thames, what's stopping the authorities simply opening all the locks and letting the water flow into the sea. I know it can't be that simple but why not ? Thanks

That's how they stop to much getting into the main part of London all at once.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Why is there a second thread open after I set one up yesterday?

I've noted that and asked for this one to be merged into yours if possible - I know it's a serious situation and everyone is worried but it will be easier to follow if we can keep any warnings and essential advice in one thread :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Going to close this, all Thames flooding discussion can go here :)

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79402-great-thames-flood-2014/ 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

The answer has already been touched upon, but the design of the Barrier is quite elegant.Most people think that it is purely to stop all the bankers getting soggy feet if a storm surge occurs.Whilst this is true, it can also turn the Thames upstream from the Barrier into a floodwater reservoir by closing the gates at low tide.This means that the upstream tidal Thames has a fair amount of storage for floodwater from the Thames Valley. This can then be released when the tide peaks and the levels are near equal on both sides of the gates. As the tide goes out, so does the stored floodwater.If not for the Barrier, ANY high tide ( not just surges) would mean the floodwater being unable to drain into the tidal section of the Thames.I've seen some comments (not on Netweather) saying that the Barrier is useless and not protecting anything . If it wasn't operating right now, we'd be seeing a whole lot more flooding. Edited by echodelta21
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yes people have forgotten 2007 and December this winter when tidal surge and flooding was occurring yet TV coverage was stopped due to Mandela dying.

• Like 2

Posted

The answer has already been touched upon, but the design of the Barrier is quite elegant.Most people think that it is purely to stop all the bankers getting soggy feet if a storm surge occurs.Whilst this is true, it can also turn the Thames upstream from the Barrier into a floodwater reservoir by closing the gates at low tide.This means that the upstream tidal Thames has a fair amount of storage for floodwater from the Thames Valley. This can then be released when the tide peaks and the levels are near equal on both sides of the gates. As the tide goes out, so does the stored floodwater.If not for the Barrier, ANY high tide ( not just surges) would mean the floodwater being unable to drain into the tidal section of the Thames.I've seen some comments (not on Netweather) saying that the Barrier is useless and not protecting anything . If it wasn't operating right now, we'd be seeing a whole lot more flooding.

Thanks for the education re the barrier .. seems more hope for the City than I thought .I know floods are affecting many beyond the Thames and it's tributaries but what is happening now in the region is hopefully a once in a lifetime experience and as the Thames spans more than one Netweather area I thought it a good idea to have a thread to cover everyone's thoughts and experience . And if you want to talk @ the problems and solutions to floods past or present in your area .. please share .... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

This boat has outgrown it's mooring, looke like it is rilling the pontoon and security gate out on this pic, now travelling downstream towards the next lock. 

Posted Image

latest pic...

Posted Image

Edited by matty40s

Posted

Thank goodness this thread has turned out so unnecessary !