Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 15/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Not yet!

you need a gale blowing in the opposite direction, to blow it back into your garden. I would be very surprised if a mini tornado or two wasn't spawned last night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

There are interesting perceptions today about the storm. For me it was definitely not as strong as the pre Christmas storm. It seems that the strongest winds were perhaps just west and north west of me as the reports, pics of damage etc are much more evident than here. Whilst out this afternoon I was hard pushed to see traces of anything at all other than a few small twigs here and there - much less than recent storms. I did think last night that the outside 'roar' was nothing out of the ordinary and kept expecting the wind to increase further, but it didn't really. Obviously I was very pleased about this, but sympathies go out to those of you who have come off worse than thisPosted Image

Overall, putting aside any very local IMBY differences and impacts, I think the low did what it said it would do 'on the tin' as suggested in the last day or two. Anyhow, it is now waving 'bye bye' and exiting into the North Sea on its way towards Scandinavia.

The coming few days, especially tomorrow which looks quite enjoyable and pleasant with some sunshine and light winds for a change, offer something of a respite for us in this corner of the country - although we will still see some rain from time to time. This most likely on Monday and again on Thursday but as per my post on the MOD thread earlier I think that the emphasis for the coming week heads further northwards and westwards to the other end of the UK.

There are problematic hints from the models that fresh bursts of arctic air out of Canada into the US may ignite the jet stream more fully again in the further outlook beyond this week and dig deepening lows of increased temperature gradients further south once more - but for now at least, there is no definitive sign of anything quite as severe as we have seen recentlyPosted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

So depressing all this flooding and damage. But what is worse is people's stupidity… so you still go out for a St Valentine's meal at a beach-front restaurant when there are 70+mph winds forecast… then surprise surprise, rocks start flying through the windows??? Even stupider, the restaurant owners themselves, not boarding up their windows.

Yes, I found it rather surprising, given the warnings of coastal flooding from the onshore storm force winds that the restaurant decided to stay open. Maybe money was more important than the safety of their customers and of their property.

Nice full moon tonight outside, looked very large ealier on the eastern horizon.

Posted

There are interesting perceptions today about the storm. For me it was definitely not as strong as the pre Christmas storm. It seems that the strongest winds were perhaps just west and north west of me as the reports, pics of damage etc are much more evident than here. Whilst out this afternoon I was hard pushed to see traces of anything at all other than a few small twigs here and there - much less than recent storms. I did think last night that the outside 'roar' was nothing out of the ordinary and kept expecting the wind to increase further, but it didn't really. Obviously I was very pleased about this, but sympathies go out to those of you who have come off worse than thisPosted Image

Overall, putting aside any very local IMBY differences and impacts, I think the low did what it said it would do 'on the tin' as suggested in the last day or two. Anyhow, it is now waving 'bye bye' and exiting into the North Sea on its way towards Scandinavia.

The coming few days, especially tomorrow which looks quite enjoyable and pleasant with some sunshine and light winds for a change, offer something of a respite for us in this corner of the country - although we will still see some rain from time to time. This most likely on Monday and again on Thursday but as per my post on the MOD thread earlier I think that the emphasis for the coming week heads further northwards and westwards to the other end of the UK.

There are problematic hints from the models that fresh bursts of arctic air out of Canada into the US may ignite the jet stream more fully again in the further outlook beyond this week and dig deepening lows of increased temperature gradients further south once more - but for now at least, there is no definitive sign of anything quite as severe as we have seen recentlyPosted Image

GFS does suggest that we will be back to storms in about 10 days time.

Posted

last night

lost 5 roof tiles

and destroyed my back garden fence

living in a victorian house the roof repair is a pain in the rear

anyway be back later with the fax update

regards

john

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=317&y=154&run=12&runpara=0&col=1&type=1&ext=1

heres the gefs pressure ensembles

i have not got a clue after the 20th Posted Image

these are all over the place after

fax chart at 120 may help later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Ah, I hope you get it sorted soon John. Those winds last night were incredible. That distinct roar was present all night long! 

Watched storm nation on sky 1 today, was very interesting indeed about this winter in the UK 'like no other'! From what I'm interpreting from the charts, it seems as though there isn't much change as what is being made out to be, with further possible storms in the near future. ECM 240 shows a brewing storm in more or less the same position as this most recent one, and with the sun gaining strength and increasing dew points, more rain will be a concern as we move towards spring. That Canadian Polar vortex just will not move! 

I wonder what this summer will bring. Have we moved into a more 90's phase of weather, or will we see another rubbish one like 2012? I really really hope not! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

Hope to find you all safe and well...What a difference 24 hours make!!

All packed as going on holiday tomorrow to a "Winter Wonderland."

Soooooo excited!!! Have a good week!

• Like 1

Posted

Hope to find you all safe and well...What a difference 24 hours make!!

All packed as going on holiday tomorrow to a "Winter Wonderland."

Soooooo excited!!! Have a good week!

new york?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

I am so glad of my minimal damage with the trellis. Horrific problems for some people and I feel incredibly lucky and feel I should be doing something to help. Both OH and I had wanted to go and help with sand bags but he has been very unwell this weekend.

I had a conversation with OH earlier regarding any winter weather this side of summer. OH works outside and has does all his life. He has an unscientific feel for the weather and is often very good at predicting stuff.

His current thinking is we may get some very cold weather in the next few weeks.

Hopefully we will get our weather station set up soon so I can learn more about the weather.

Sorry waffling somewhat but I am incredibly tired today.

As you were ;-)

• Like 3

Posted

new york?

Lapland

• Like 1

Posted

you lucky so and so, will you try  reindeer steaks  whilst there?

Maybe!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Did the Burns Day Storm last into the next day (26 January) I'm just wondering if it is the one I'm remembering.

It's lovely sunshine here but wow..it's still blowing a hooley. Posted Image

Never mind....I'll look it up somewhere.

Hi K,

It was an afternoon thing here. We had an initial burst of squally rain in the late morning, which cleared by lunchtime(ish) to sunshine and much lighter winds for a very short while - something of a false dawn... Then, as the centre of the depression (which travelled in an easterly direction) passed to our north (the centre went through the North of England or South Scotland) we went under the isobar squeeze to its south, leading to two or three hours of very, very strong winds - way worse than yesterday, in the mid to late afternoon.

By six o'clock that evening, the worst of the winds had moved on, but left travel chaos. They definitely weren't an issue the next day.

Many people have forgotten the Burns Storm, probably because it was only just over two years after the '87 Great Storm. A way to remind some of it, was that a famous casualty was Gordon Kaye, from 'Allo 'Allo, who was severely injured by some advertising hoarding, which crashed through his car windscreen.

I have a photo somewhere, of my garden shed being destroyed by it, taken by my late mother. A pretty good photo, considering it was shot on a crappy old instamatic camera. I'll try and locate it and upload in the next couple of weeks. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Ah, I hope you get it sorted soon John. Those winds last night were incredible. That distinct roar was present all night long! Watched storm nation on sky 1 today, was very interesting indeed about this winter in the UK 'like no other'! From what I'm interpreting from the charts, it seems as though there isn't much change as what is being made out to be, with further possible storms in the near future. ECM 240 shows a brewing storm in more or less the same position as this most recent one, and with the sun gaining strength and increasing dew points, more rain will be a concern as we move towards spring. That Canadian Polar vortex just will not move! I wonder what this summer will bring. Have we moved into a more 90's phase of weather, or will we see another rubbish one like 2012? I really really hope not!

I'm happy with a 90s style summer - had some hot ones and plenty of storms. I'd rather emigrate than suffer another 2012!
  • Like 1

Posted

Are we suppose to be moving towards a mini ice age. Joe Bastardi and piers corbyn keep crapping on about it.

laminate floori ??????Posted Image

Posted

Back after a power cut that started at 04:15.  Power actually came back at about 15:40, but first chance to get to a computer.

Widespread cuts here, looks as though it was mainly trees taking lines down.  Wouldn't want to be a service engineer in this weather.

Don't know how many are still out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Much calmer here and wind just a breeze. No rain either.......yet. And judging by the Weather Special I'm watching, we definately don't want anymore.

Hi K, It was an afternoon thing here. We had an initial burst of squally rain in the late morning, which cleared by lunchtime(ish) to sunshine and much lighter winds for a very short while - something of a false dawn... Then, as the centre of the depression (which travelled in an easterly direction) passed to our north (the centre went through the North of England or South Scotland) we went under the isobar squeeze to its south, leading to two or three hours of very, very strong winds - way worse than yesterday, in the mid to late afternoon. By six o'clock that evening, the worst of the winds had moved on, but left travel chaos. They definitely weren't an issue the next day. Many people have forgotten the Burns Storm, probably because it was only just over two years after the '87 Great Storm. A way to remind some of it, was that a famous casualty was Gordon Kaye, from 'Allo 'Allo, who was severely injured by some advertising hoarding, which crashed through his car windscreen. I have a photo somewhere, of my garden shed being destroyed by it, taken by my late mother. A pretty good photo, considering it was shot on a crappy old instamatic camera. I'll try and locate it and upload in the next couple of weeks. :)

Thanks Steve. Don't know if that is the one I remember, but it was January (I'd been out that day to spend my Xmas vouchers) and it was the 90s and evening. Very, very windy too. I'd like to see the photo. :) I had an Instamatic in the 80s/90s. :)
  • Like 1

Posted

tonight

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

a chilly night

if exposed to the wind or are on the coastal regions you will miss a frost

otherwise a frost is likely

coastal areas look likely to see drizzly misty murk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow

Posted Image

a weak south west to westerly flow

rainfall

Posted Image

none

temps

Posted Image

around 6-7 degrees

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow night

Posted Image

a weak south westerly flow

rainfall

Posted Image

dry again

temps

Posted Image

again a frost is possible

excluding south and east facing coasts which will likely see misty cloudy murk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

monday

Posted Image

a slightly breezy south west flow

rainfall

Posted Image

dry am

Posted Image

some rain around in the afternoon but looks patchy

and not all will see this

temps

Posted Image

around 7-8 degrees

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

monday night soon

Edited by john pike

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Bored.com of the weather now

Having a night in :)

post-18857-0-25651300-1392498435_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

monday night

Posted Image

a breezy but not strong south west wind

rainfall

Posted Image

will start dry but some patchy rain again overnight

temps

Posted Image

around 6-7 degrees

certainly not cold tonight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tuesday

Posted Image

winds veer from south west to west during the day

not strong or noticeable

rainfall

Posted Image

drizzly rain clears very early

then more heavier rain for the afternoon

should not last too long and should clear all before dark

temps

Posted Image

8-10 degrees

feeling a little chillier due to the cooler breeze

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

overall not bad Posted Image

will do the updates later

Posted

Was it as bad as predicted for coastal towns last night, they were suppose to be worse hit? There was damage to buildings etc in  london, so i can't imagine what it did along the south coast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Was it as bad as predicted for coastal towns last night, they were suppose to be worse hit? There was damage to buildings etc in  london, so i can't imagine what it did along the south coast?

Not much news from the south coast on here today but I would imagine going by the Bognor cam last night they took a bit of a battering - this is Brighton seafront where the shingle beach is now on the prom !post-10773-0-48700400-1392501787_thumb.j
  • Like 4