Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Do You Want From Summer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

With so many different outlooks and opinions on weather preferences, it'll be interesting to see what weather people actually want to see this summer.

I'm not talking about what weather you're dreaming of. Keep it within the realms of possibility, not 4 months of sizzling sunshine with temperatures in the 40's, because living in the UK, you know that isn't going to happen.

So to kick things off (I'm including May, as that's my favourite month, I often count that as a summer month anyway)

May

A similar high pressure cell to what we currently have, dominating much of the month bringing sunny skies and temperatures widely in the mid twenties. Pretty selfish of me perhaps, because with the HP centered to the east currently, that would bring the best weather to the west, particularly the coast where it would be a scorcher. Mid-month a breakdown from the south west, bringing some thunderstorms, and introducing a more unsettled regime for a week or so before HP builds again towards the end of the month bringing in another settled, sunny spell to see the month out.

June

Again, June is my second favourite month so it begins with a strong HP cell situated right over the UK, bringing warm easterly winds in from the continent, mixed with above average SST's from a mild winter, north sea cloud shouldn't be much of a problem, so a fresh, still high pressure dominated first half with temperatures in the high-twenties. High pressure moves around to bring some cooler, cloudier days, allowing some Atlantic fronts to get in with the mix giving heavy thundery downpours at times too, before reasserting itself allowing temperatures to soar again under a strong, near-equinox sunshine.

July

July typically isn't a great month for the UK, so I'm going to stick by the trend, although it's not ideal, July will start off settled, but after a few days the jet stream would move southwards, allowing only the extreme south to get away with some decent weather, for the rest of us it'll be warm with temperatures in the high teens to low twenties, but plenty of thundery activity as unstable air situates itself, giving much needed rain, and unsettled conditions for the first week. After which we see a strong Spanish Plume, giving some sunshine for a day or two, before a heavy thundery breakdown, temperatures nearing the 30's at one point promoting harsh thunderstorms. Towards the end of July as we start to notice the difference in light levels, we start to see high pressure making more of an appearance, although not to the extent of May & June.

August

The final summer month ideally would start high pressure dominated following on from July, and typically because of the thermal lag effect, this is the hottest time of the year. Therefore I would like to see a HP dominated August with temperatures in the 30's for a time widely, although not prolonged enough to threaten life, just enough to experience what a truly HOT few days is like in the UK. Fresher air in the form of thunderstorms moving through at times, but HP strong enough to reassert and take control always before the Autumn begins on a very unsettled note, although some lovely September sunshine at times, enough to get outdoors.

Just my interpretation of my ideal summer, I am a fan of the hot weather (clearly). Although unlikely, it's not impossible.

What's yours? :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A repeat of last July's heatwave but lasting a lot longer with the odd thunderstorm thrown in now and then

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

A repeat of last July's heatwave but lasting a lot longer with the odd thunderstorm thrown in now and then

No thanks - the inability to sleep is not wanted by me.

It was too hot in the SE, probably ok in NE.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Something to please everyone? Simple.

IMPOSSIBLE. Posted Image Posted Image

Congleton Heat's suggestion would suit me with a mix of what Backtrack likes, this time for my region. A couple of heatwaves will suffice but they must come with almighty Thunderstorms as they so often don't. Posted Image More over I want a warm and dry Spring and here's hoping that's what we will be getting, at least in my patch.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Primarily - lots & lots of sunshine - no low cloud, no Atlantic depressions. Temps 23-27c in general with some warmer/hotter days and just a few cooler days (but no sub 18c maxima).

Some rain but not too much and coming from thunderstorms which appear on evenings when I don't intend to be outdoors too much!

Think I'm more likely to get my wish this year...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I would like a spell of weather like this (keeping it at least a little realistic and within the realms of possibility):

21/11 - mostly sunny

21/11 - mostly sunny

23/12 - sunny

22/12 - sunny

23/22 - mostly sunny

24/13 - sunny, thunderstorms

28/15 - sunny, thunderstorms

30/17 - sunny

24/14 - thunderstorms

21/11 - mostly cloudy

250 hours of sun would be great in July. May is typically our sunniest month of the year though.

Edited by cheese

Posted

No thanks - the inability to sleep is not wanted by me.

It was too hot in the SE, probably ok in NE.

It got pretty hot here in the NE at times as well think we peaked around 29c not as hot as the SE granted most days we averaged 24c to 27c with nights remaining warm

Posted

I said this in another thread and I'll re-post here

Given the relatively mild winter sea temperatures are a lot warmer than last March so could this give the potential for any Spanish Plumes to have some more umpth to them this year assuming some come along in the summer

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I would like a repeat of March 12, April 07, May 08, June 06, July 06, August 10.

Not quite March 12 so far but good enough.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Hot days (nothing over 30c as work outside and it's hell !) and cool nights, with storms. But no drought please.. 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

right having read all of the above here goes....

May hot sunny great cricket weather and early beach weather not to hot, broken up by the odd thunderstorm but warm by day and trending warmer as June comes in

June hot all the way broken by a few cooler days id month, let the heat rebuild.

July this is where i want it hot hot hot hot hot hot with nighttime electrical fireworks but no rain. building to August

August the records will be broken at night and day time. ok ok om then i wake up and we have a summer like everything else strange mundane and boring.... i hope i am wrong 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

Heatwave, hot days loads of sun and some great thunderstorms

Edited by JK1
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Hot days preferably a month long hot spell, 25c + will do. Followed by some full on Thunderstorms to break it all down before the heat builds back in for another month.

On a serious note though, 21/23c and sunny is fine for the majority of the time. As long as it is dry with the odd thundery spells mixed in!!

Edited by Karl83

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well Mays spring so won't comment on that.

June to August Dry Sunny temps around 21C to 22C with a light breeze keeping it nice and fresh. Perfect weather.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

April - Lovely clear blue skies with temps maxing at 25C.

May - Lovely clear blue skies with temps maxing at 28C.

June - Lovely clear blue skies with temps maxing at 30C.

July - Lovely clear blue skies with temps maxing at 32C.

Aug - Lovely clear blue skies with temps maxing at 32C.

Sept - Lovely clear blue skies with temps maxing at 28C.

Oct - Lovely clear blue skies with temps maxing at 25C.

Nov '14 to Mar '15 - if the winter is going to be anything like this last one - hibernation!

With occasional thunderstorms to replenish the rainfall and some fair weather cu from time to time but mostly we want to be eating outside in the garden with some barbies and a glass of wine in the evenings.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My desire is a mix of warm dry sunny anticyclonic spells, hot thundery spells, and cooler spells with sunny intervals and thundery downpours, and little in the way of low cloud or frontal precipitation.  I would also be up for a few "switch-arounds" early in the season, with chilly northerly outbreaks and warm/hot spells occurring in quick succession, like the ones we had in Mays 1995 and 1997 and in early June 1975 for instance.

One specific desire- an anticyclonic spell in the middle of June and a thundery breakdown around the 21st-23rd to coincide with my birthday. I recall that 2000 and 2003 produced near-approaches to that sequence, but it would be good to "hit the jackpot" with it this year.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Plenty of hot sunny weather, and the reappearance of a weather phenomena which has been notable by its absence in recent years....a genuine Spanish Plume giving rise to night time thunderstorms which track northwards over the British Isles.....and an end to the trend whereby they either die over the channel or maddeningly track north-eastwards and slam into the Low Countries.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Anything like 1975,1976,1983,1984,1989,1995,1996,1997,2003,2006,will be very nice...or better than that 1921!!!!!

Posted

Dry and sunny with temperatures between 21-24C and a gentle breeze; occasional rainy day, say 1 per week, just to keep the garden watered.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Plenty of hot sunny weather, and the reappearance of a weather phenomena which has been notable by its absence in recent years....a genuine Spanish Plume giving rise to night time thunderstorms which track northwards over the British Isles.....and an end to the trend whereby they either die over the channel or maddeningly track north-eastwards and slam into the Low Countries.

THIS!!!! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

That key word! NORTHWARDS. I'm not talking about Kent clippers, or East Anglia Grazers, full on 'UK' MCS is what I want, as I'm sure many others will like too!

Think a good fetch from the Pyrenees through Central France to really cook it up, and then mature right over the UK would be my fantasy! it has happened before though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Warm, dry and calm, plenty of sun/bright conditions, after all the dull,wet and windy weather we deserve it.

Maybe chuck in an un-damaging but exciting thunder storm mind :)