Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/03/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Afternoon all,

The fog cleared quite quickly here as I hoped it would - morning coffee turned in to a leisurely stroll and lunch outside - all rather lovely Posted Image

What we had here in MK is Radiation fog which happens when the cooling of land overnight by thermal radiation cools the air close to the surface, this reduces the ability of the air to hold moisture allowing condensation and fog to occur.

The official Met Office definition of fog is a visibility of less than 1,000 m. This limit is appropriate for aviation purposes, but for the general public and motorists an upper limit of 200 m is more realistic. Severe disruption to transport occurs when the visibility falls below 50 m. Useful labels for these three categories are aviation fog, thick fog and dense fog – you can read more about fog at http://bit.ly/1fz6sHn

It might not be ‘Pea Soup’ or even green but a warning for Yellow fog is in place for tomorrow for the following areas:

post-10773-0-87151100-1394723193_thumb.j

Yellow warning of FOG – London & South East:

Isle of Wight, Hampshire, West Sussex, Portsmouth, Southampton, Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Surrey, West Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Reading, Wokingham, Bracknell Forest, Buckinghamshire, Windsor and Maidenhead, Slough, Greater London, Milton Keynes, Kent, Medway

Yellow warning of FOG – East Anglia:

Hertfordshire, Central Bedfordshire, Bedford, Luton, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Peterborough, Thurrock, Norfolk, Suffolk, Southend-on-Sea

Fog is expected to become widespread and locally dense again through Thursday night and Friday morning. Visibility is likely to fall below 100 metres at times, locally less than 50 metres.

The public should be aware of the likelihood of difficult driving conditions and some travel disruption.

Issued at:

1041 on Thu 13 Mar 2014

Valid from:

0100 on Fri 14 Mar 2014

Valid to:

1100 on Fri 14 Mar 2014

Thursday morning's fog, having cleared inland, will have persisted through much of the day in some coastal locations and may begin to spread inland again quite early on Thursday evening. However, across most inland areas fog patches will form more widely overnight into Friday morning. As was the case on Thursday, not everywhere in the yellow area will see fog, but where it does form it is likely to be dense. Fog will then slowly clear through the mid morning period.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1394755200&regionName=uk

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

Afternoon all 

Had to make a trip along Brighton Seafront at around 12.15 to drop off a funding bid.  From a lovely temp of around 16 c in my garden, it got noticeably cooler as I neared the palace Pier, around 12 c (so my car says), both the lovely Victorian ladies were completely shrouded in cold dense fog and the sea was not visible.  Bid dropped off and back along the busy seafront, the fog was starting to slowly move inland.  On a split shift, so off into the garden for a couple of hours before 'nose back to the grind-stone' time.  Enjoy your respective afternoon's everyone.

EDIT: AS - that's exactly as it is today, hanging heavily over the sea and encompassing it all, but visibly drawing inland in waves almost!

Edited by Alixzandra
  • Like 8

Posted

Good Afternoon All ;)

There was some very dense fog in the morning, and there was a chill in the air.

Now blue skies - glorious sunshine :D with the temp registering at 14.5C!

Edit: 10th post I need a lie down.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

Warm and sunny here again after a frosty foggy start, nice to remain calm and dry for more than a day or two as well, starting to really like this spell of weather (just would like to skip the frost and foggy starts though).

Have a light evening planned (as in not much planned), may look to spend an hour or two in front of the easel (unless I can find anything of interest on the telly).

Hope your all had/having a grand day too :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Good Afternoon All Posted Image

There was some very dense fog in the morning, and there was a chill in the air.

Now blue skies - glorious sunshine Posted Image with the temp registering at 14.5C!

Hey Daniel,  avoided the fog today, temp 16.7c. Is the fog going to return tonight? Must have been patchy over London. A bit late, but welcome to the thread.

Posted

Hey Daniel,  avoided the fog today, temp 16.7c. Is the fog going to return tonight? Must have been patchy over London. A bit late, but welcome to the thread.

Afraid so all our region is covered in a yellow warning for Fog. Friday:Fairly widespread, locally dense fog to start the day. The fog will gradually clear through the morning to leave another fine and dry afternoon with good spells of warm sunshine. Maximum Temperature 16 °C.Cheers lassie :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

very foggy here, is it normal for fog to make temperatures lower?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

very foggy here, is it normal for fog to make temperatures lower?

Yes, it is low cloud and blocks the sunlight/warmth, also as it is still air no warm air is moving in.

Posted

Think fog at work at Manston until 1500 today. Real pea souper. Wind has recent dropped out and humidity of 82% meaning visibility is now 6km.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Fog cleared in Essex around 9am or so and we've had unbroken sunshine ever since, hazy throughout but a great day again with some real warmth in the sun. Now for the long commute back to west London, hopefully a nice sunset to keep me company

Edited by Harps
  • Like 2

Posted

Managed to get out and mow the front moss and the rear mud, so they're ready for the next onslaught of whatever. Fog hung around until lunchtime here, so we got to a pleasant 14.5c which felt warm as the breeze has stopped altogether. Hmm, hence the fog I guess. 

Jupiter had his op and came home quite lively, but has fallen asleep on a sofa now. No walkies for a week, so he's going to be royally miffed. Got a few days' wait until we discover the results from the removed tumour - we know it's cancerous, but they look to see if the margins of the cancer cells are 'dirty', expanding microscopically away from the main growth. and also check his lymph glands for signs of metastasis.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Evening all.

Well after a gloomy start the sun soon kicked into gear, and what a great day it was. I spent my lunch break sitting at the docks eating my sandwich, really wishing I could take the afternoon off. Unfortunately I had to go back, and spent the rest of the afternoon looking at spreadsheets and designing some new macros (yeah great fun :-))

Anyway run finished, and the mist is forming quite readily now. Feels mild though.

Laters peeps

• Like 4

Posted

Afraid so all our region is covered in a yellow warning for Fog.

Friday:

Fairly widespread, locally dense fog to start the day. The fog will gradually clear through the morning to leave another fine and dry afternoon with good spells of warm sunshine. Maximum Temperature 16 °C.

Cheers lassie Posted Image

Hi Daniel, welcome to the thread. I used to live in Kent (still come back regularly) and have been a member here on netweather for 10 years. Nice to see new faces.

What part of London you from. I can see London from the QE2 bridge whenever I cross it, love the sight of canary wharf, especially as the sun sets.

I miss fog, never have it here.

Edited by canadiancoops
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi Daniel, welcome to the thread. I used to live in Kent (still come back regularly) and have been a member here on netweather for 10 years. Nice to see new faces.What part of London you from. I can see London from the QE2 bridge whenever I cross it, love the sight of canary wharf, especially as the sun sets.I miss fog, never have it here.

Hey there I'm from the docklands! which is in SE London. Very near to Canary Wharf about 2m by train, I know it well I have a view of it, courtesy of my bedroom window - I'm sure it has snowed up there many times, and all we've got is splashes of icy rain :pIt sure looks majestic when the sun shimmers on the glass,and when the fog encases around it. Really beautiful sight :) Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
Posted

hi all

tonight

chilly with the odd frost patch

fog is the issue as already said

however the wind should pick up around 7am on so the fog may be clear by rush hour tomorrow

however work as if it will be a problem just incase the breeze picks up later

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow

Posted Image

a breezy north west flow

rain

none Posted Image

temps

Posted Image

around 16 degrees

and should be sunny

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow night

Posted Image

a slightly more noticeable north west wind

looks dry but cloudyPosted Image

temps not cold

around 6- 8 degrees

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday

Posted Image

still a breezy north west flow

weaker than last night though

rain

Posted Image

none Posted Image but a very very slim chance the far north east of our region might get a light shower

temps

Posted Image

cooler today

12-14 degrees

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday night

Posted Image

a gusty north west wind

rainfall

nonePosted Image

temps

not cold around 8 degrees but chilly in the wind

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sunday

Posted Image

still a north west flow but weaker than last night

rain

Posted Image

none Posted Image

temps

Posted Image

16-18 degrees

maybe a 20 to the far west of our region

so overall pretty good

downside

will be warm but the north west wind will have a chill to it

make the most of it

next week is starting to look a lot cooler

ukmo show this

monday

Posted Image

still warm enough

tuesday

Posted Image

still warm enough around 14 degrees

then wednesday

Posted Image

that would be a shock to the system

anyway long way off and subject to change

either way if you can, enjoy the weather why it lasts

best regards

johnPosted Image

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Evening all.

Another lovely pleasant day today after the fog cleared. One more day tomorrow by the looks of it before the cloud rolls in from the west.

On another note today, things are changing where I work.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/13/galapagos-charles-river-lb-idUSL6N0MA0OY20140313

A big multinational has taken over where I work which at the moment we are not too sure what the future will be, but given the size of the company who bought us and the fact that we offer a different service to them,it is most likely that the outlooks will be a positive one for us. Only time will tell.

Posted

Posted Image

still dry to the 19th

then still these are well spread after

certainly cooler than of late

but how cool????

need more runs

ecm shows this at 192

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

then at 244

Posted Image

Posted Image

right or wrong ecm is a cold run

time will tell with the above though

lets see where the op sits with the london ensembles later

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

bloody weather,its played havoc with my local footy teams fixtures this season,and thanks to the thick fog another postponement this evening,still at least the day was beautiful

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I see a few people have died in a helicopter crash on the Norfolk / Suffolk border tonight. Fog related? :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I see a few people have died in a helicopter crash on the Norfolk / Suffolk border tonight. Fog related? Posted Image

Emergency services were called at 19:45 tonight to reports of a helicopter crash near Beccles

The East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust (EEAST) was called at 19:45 tonight (March 13) to reports of a helicopter crash in Norfolk.

A EEAST spokesperson said: “Sadly, it is believed that four people in the helicopter are believed to have died in the crash. Ambulance resources have now been stood down from the scene. Our thoughts are with the family and friends of those who have lost their lives tonight.â€

EEAST sent a number of resources to the incident including two ambulance officers, three ambulances, two doctors and one rapid response car.

Statement: http://www.eastamb.nhs.uk/incidents/Helicopter-crash-in-Norfolk.htm … #norfolk #gillingham

10:07 PM - 13 Mar 2014

The helicopter came down in thick fog (although there is nothing official to say that was the cause of the crash)

post-10773-0-06886200-1394757054_thumb.p

This picture from the scene shows just how difficult the conditions on the Norfolk/Suffolk border were tonight.

Thoughts are with the family and friends of those who have lost their lives tonight 

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

the fog was v much hanging around on the coast..Posted Image