Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April 2014 CET forecasts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

The long term trend is upwards though so it hasn't surprised me that 2014 has begun well above average. April began very mild especially at night and the nights look to be ending mildly too.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 2

Guest pjl20101

Sam according to Simon aka global warming on TWO he is estimating 10.18 rounded off to 10.2 as the estimated final figure.

• Like 1

Posted

I think the median for 2001-2014 would be pretty high after this year or the mean if you removed the warmest extremities - 2013 and 2011.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Fairly pleased this month, won;t be far from 9.5C after corrections.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

9.5C will do me nicely. I think will be more like 9.8C though . Sunny Sheffield at 9.6C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

why do we quote the 61-90 average when it would be more reasonable to quote the say 81-2010 average or does that 0.6 c make it look better from a warming perspective!!!!!!

• Like 3

Posted

why do we quote the 61-90 average when it would be more reasonable to quote the say 81-2010 average or does that 0.6 c make it look better from a warming perspective!!!!!!

I quite agree. The 61-90 average really has little relevance to todays temps. At the very least the 71-2000 averages should be used.

Edited by GRHinPorts
  • Like 2

LOL, yes I've mentioned that to him many times yet he persists.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Summer Sun is just quoting from the CET page, as has been explained before.

If people are so bothered about the averages used, then download the CET data, calculate the anomalies from whatever 30 year period they like and post them up here!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

LOL, yes I've mentioned that to him many times yet he persists.

I said this to you before if you or any one else has a link for the daily CET averages for a specific period then post a link for us to use other wise I shall continue to use the 61 to 90 average as others do if its good enough for the met office and World Met. Organisation its good enough for me

From the met office

Note that anomalies quoted here are w.r.t. the period 1961-1990. This is the current standard period of reference for climatological data as recommended by the WMO (World Met. Organisation).

• Like 6

Guest pjl20101

Global warming on TWO has revised his guess down to 10.03 as the final figure implying 10 as the final figure.

Posted

I don't quite know why we use 61-90 average rather than, say, 31-60 or 1779 to 2014 average, but I think it's good to always refer to the same average rather than moving the it every 10 years. I don't see why the 81-10 average is seen as more 'relevant' just because it's more likely to return a month close to normal rather than well above. A 10.1c April CET is a 10.1c April CET. 

• Like 1

Guest pjl20101

10.1c to the 27th 2.3c above the 61 to 90 average

Its definitely going to be the warmest April for 3 years Gavin, even I said something of a warm dry April on gavsweathervids.com which is the site owned by Gavin partridge back in January and have been proved right. Chuffed with myself.
  • Like 2

Posted

We're now at 10.2C for the month, which is a +2.4 anomaly on the period 1961-1990.

Looking like I didn't guess high enough again despite choosing a warm 9.7C!

Posted

10.2C would put us in the top 10 warmest Aprils in the CET series.

If April finishes on 10.2C May would only have to finish on 12.9C to record the warmest Spring on record. In itself it would be nothing unusual except the warmest was 2011, 2007 was in 3rd and 2009 was in 12th. Four top 12 springs in five years.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

With a minimum today of 7.7C, and maxima around the mid 15s, we should remain on 10.2C on tomorrows update. 

The final day of the month looks like averaging around the low 11s, which means a likely finish of 10.2C, with a small chance of reaching 10.3C.

After corrections, anything from 9.7C to 10.3C is possible, which is from joint 27th to joint 6th mildest on record.

Posted

10.2C would put us in the top 10 warmest Aprils in the CET series.

If April finishes on 10.2C May would only have to finish on 12.9C to record the warmest Spring on record. In itself it would be nothing unusual except the warmest was 2011, 2007 was in 3rd and 2009 was in 12th. Four top 12 springs in five years.

Spring seems to be the season showing the greatest anomalies.  Then autumn.  Summers and winters less so.  Does anyone have any suggestions why this might be?

• Like 1

Posted

10.2C would put us in the top 10 warmest Aprils in the CET series. If April finishes on 10.2C May would only have to finish on 12.9C to record the warmest Spring on record. In itself it would be nothing unusual except the warmest was 2011, 2007 was in 3rd and 2009 was in 12th. Four top 12 springs in five years.

Yes, last year is quite a contrast in comparison. Let's hope summer 2013 doesn't also prove to be the odd one out!