Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

This Could be a Step Forward

mike Meehan

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

Normally I treat the discovery of new fuels with a pinch of salt since most of them are hoaxes or attempts to dupe gullible members of the public but I think there might be something in this.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-navy-game-changer-converting-seawater-fuel-140544115.html#qdzrnDm

It looks like it will be a while before we can top up the tanks in our cars with this but from my reading, it looks like it will be a carbon neutral fuel - the oceans are absorbing CO2 all the time, so we would be taking out what is continually being put in.

Apparently a lot of work yet to be done and also many a slip twixt cup and lip but if it does come to fruition.  Since we are surrounded by the briney, it could solve the power problems of the UK, whilst making us carbon neutral, well excepting whatever power they need to produce and keep the catalytic converters but I would imagine with a warship they expect to gain more energy than what they put it, so it looks like a win win situation.

A fuel is not an energy source if it requires more energy to produce than it provides. Fossil fuels dominate the world because they're a store of highly concentrated energy (basically millions of years of accumulated energy from the Sun sitting there waiting for us to burn). Seawater is not a concentrated energy source, to extract hydrogen from it requires breaking molecular bonds which requires a lot of energy.

Until figures of how energy profitable it is are worked out then it goes into the pile with the other gazillion alternative sources of energy that are going to save us! There's no free lunch.

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

There is if you sit through a boring seminar ...

...but I digress

energy in to energy out will work better when the use of is more economical

Posted

Nucleur is the way foward, there is plenty left... Although not a renewable energy. But for now.. We don't need to worry.. Future generations are going to cross troubled waters, but by then im sure some scientists would've discovered a new energy source. Wind energy simply does not produce enough electricity, to provide for our every growing population.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Nucleur is the way foward, there is plenty left... Although not a renewable energy. But for now.. We don't need to worry.. Future generations are going to cross troubled waters, but by then im sure some scientists would've discovered a new energy source. Wind energy simply does not produce enough electricity, to provide for our every growing population.

I read somewhere a few years ago that one of the key isotopes needed is running low and the others are not as good to use.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

Wind proof candles?

Do they power a lap top? :)