Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 21st April 2014 onwards

Posted

Suns been out all afternoon here, just a shame that everything seems to be developing further south! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Sferics showing up over central wales now !!...

sadly it looks like a rogue detection.....about 30 minutes old, and radar/infra-red satellite imagery don't show anyhting of note in that area

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

thought that my self upon further investigation !!...

keep the faith though, still a few hours of daylight so you never know!......may 9th 2011, pulse type storms powered by solar heating were occuring aound the midlands but once sundown were forcasted to fizzle out rapidly, we ended with a well organized and well documented thunderstorm around 9pm

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69498-violent-thunderstorm-videos-stillspenkridge-090511/

keep the faith though, still a few hours of daylight so you never know!......may 9th 2011, pulse type storms powered by solar heating were occuring aound the midlands but once sundown were forcasted to fizzle out rapidly, we ended with a well organized and well documented thunderstorm around 9pm http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69498-violent-thunderstorm-videos-stillspenkridge-090511/

still watching that blob off coast of north wales hopefully it will develop into something interesting !!...

Posted

Hefty shower just gone up north of here, just been watching it drink up the moisture through a straw!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Been watching clouds sprout up and as they do so, the are going in more of a NW motion as opposed to the NE surface flow. Could be a key factor to some rotation if some cells to fire up anytime now.

Posted

Had a slightly interesting experience earlier. When I saw the shower near Tiverton had turned into a thunderstorm, I decided to drive to a spot I know in the Blackdown hills with a view out north to try and intercept/get close to it, though it was only a heavy shower when I got there.

However I noticed a small area of rotation coming towards me, thought just local rotation due to converging/varying winds and have seen such before, but then I could hear wind getting closer in the trees nearby. as the rotation in the cloud base passed nearly overhead the wind picked up where I was for 10-20 seconds and passed by, and a few old/brown leaves were clearly spiraling upwards out of the trees towards the sky as it went...

It was only about 20-30mph where I was and like an isolated gust of wind, but with nearly calm winds before and afterwards for quite a while. A bit like a (wide) dust devil going by but in a wooded area without any dust/hay to pick up.

the rotation area didn't seem to form a funnel cloud, but the wind on the ground seemed clearly related to it and appeared to have rotation and some kind of vortex, though the area was wooded so hard to tell.

Some interesting posts on UKWW suggesting it perhaps had supercell characteristics too, as well as good lightning near Tiverton, kind of wish I had got there before.

Where does the definition of a tornado start, if there is one.. would that rotation on the ground associated with rotation above count even if it is as week as this with no clear funnel?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Thursday seems like another good day, EURO4 shows isolated heavy showers for England and Wales (chart only up to 12pm, so with higher temperatures later on these showers may become more widespread during the afternoon/late evening):

Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted

still watching that blob off coast of north wales hopefully it will develop into something interesting !!...

Didnt get anything all day here in North Wales. Couldn't see anything out off the coasts either, too much cloud.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Thursday seems like another good day, EURO4 shows isolated heavy showers for England and Wales (chart only up to 12pm, so with higher temperatures later on these showers may become more widespread during the afternoon/late evening):

Posted Image

I have no hope for me for any of this week. We need a real good plume for a show over the Irish Sea...

Posted

Today could see a possibility of thunderyness in the west? Although the sun this morning has now given way to cloudy skies.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yesterday didn't pan out as well as the models indicated for northern England given the CAPE they indicated, but the potential instability build up was dependent on cloud clearance among other factors which didn't quite come together. Still, Tiverton area of Devon saw an isolated slow moving thunderstorm system which even showed characteristics of having its own self-sustaining circulation, like a supercell, despite lack of vertical shear.

Anyway, Ireland/N Ireland should fare well for convective activity this afternoon, already some strikes showing west of Limerick as instability increases with surface heating and increasingly cold air aloft arriving with approaching shortwave trough.

Netweather forecast: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=f40fbcdd5fa031765fab24a7d5c146e5

Edited by Nick F

Posted

Seems like convective stuff is going off behind this front, it's 15C here, mostly cloudy skies. Next few hours are critical now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Squall line setting up? That cell just missed me by about 40miles and is over the B.Channel!

EDIT:Looks like its loosing intensity...

post-17320-0-36720800-1398263277_thumb.p

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Looking at the radar ...something seems to be trying to build ..just to the south of Birmingham

edit; Off to the East now :mellow:

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

They are just light showers here in Coventry AP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A couple of days away but the 12z GFS shows some interest for Friday in the SE quarter of the UK, inc the East Midlands and CS England. Quite decent CAPE values and high temperatures being advected northwest off the continent. Worth keeping an eye on.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 3