Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2015 March 20th Solar Eclipse

toggerob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

So at this time of year will the Crocuses , for example, perhaps close up (nyctinasty)? could be a nice outside classroom experiment

Posted

Does anyone have experience of weather changes during an eclipse. Temperature/ wind anything else

I've heard that the darkness is eerie and that birds quieten down, anything else?

There is a cooling, which is to be expected, In France in 1999 there was a light breeze, which if anything calmed down. I think the most noticable thing is the quality of the light, its totally different to dawn and dusk, even although it goes dark. This is due to the fact that what light there is coming from (August 1999, France) high in the sky, not the horizon. I thimk its one of those things that until you have seen one in the flesh you dont realise just how spectacular it is. Its not just totallity, but the darkening before and lightening after. The videos you see dont really convey the whole 'feel'

If I get the chance I will try and get to see another one, USA 2017 looks good, may be as part a longer holiday, a shame its not earlier in the year as it could be combined with a storm chase or two. (another thing on my wish list)

Posted

Svalbard now not allowing any further tourists in to the Islands as all accommodation is booked, and the Polar Bears are already out looking for snacks. Faeroes also fully booked both flights and hotels now sold out, the only other way would be to find a transatlantic flight say LHR-LAX which would cross the Eclipse path, even this is weather dependent and no likely cheaper than a Eclipse cruise (the majority of which have already left). If you can wait until 2017 there's a more favorable Eclipse spanning across America.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Svalbard now not allowing any further tourists in to the Islands as all accommodation is booked, and the Polar Bears are already out looking for snacks. Faeroes also fully booked both flights and hotels now sold out, the only other way would be to find a transatlantic flight say LHR-LAX which would cross the Eclipse path, even this is weather dependent and no likely cheaper than a Eclipse cruise (the majority of which have already left). If you can wait until 2017 there's a more favorable Eclipse spanning across America.

Yeah I think I'll go to the 2017 one, better chance of cloud-free skies there!

Posted

Yeah I think I'll go to the 2017 one, better chance of cloud-free skies there!

Interesting connections here.

The 2017 total eclipse that crosses the continental USA belongs to the Saros group that produced the 1999 total eclipse across parts of Cornwall and Devon.

There hasn't been a total solar eclipse across the continental USA since 1979, it just so happens this Friday's eclipse belongs to the Saros group that produced that eclipse.

All eclipses, solar or lunar, belong to a Saros group. They occur about every 18 years, 11 days and about 8 hours from each other.

The Saros group that is producing Friday's eclipse is nearing its end. Over hundreds of years, a Saros group starts from one of the Poles and the tracks of each eclipse every 18 years either progresses further and further north or south depending which Pole, the Saros group stared.

In the case of Friday's eclipse, it's Saros group started in the south polar region over 130 years before the Battle of Hastings.

There's a YouTube animation of Friday's Saros group

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted

It's not looking good now for the eclipse? Charts seem to be trending in the wrong direction with the front seem to be coming further south earlier and earlier. Not sure how much cloud would be ahead of the front anyway.

At the moment, south Midlands southwards look pretty good, but further north it doesn't look great.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Fingers crossed, I've even got the day off which is a bonus..

Posted

I'm currently crying into my eclipse glasses, got to be hopeful though for NW wind to shake things up enough, 

northern parts have so much cloud on today's charts, SW England still looks clearest and hope of breaks for southern Britain

Posted

I'm currently crying into my eclipse glasses, got to be hopeful though for NW wind to shake things up enough, 

northern parts have so much cloud on today's charts, SW England still looks clearest and hope of breaks for southern Britain

Well the current GFS looks a bit tricky.

mslp_jet_71.gif

Edited by knocker

Posted

The event lasts quite a while and I would be surprised if many places don't get a fleeting glimpse or two.
Passing cloud can give a good effect for photos e.g.:
(not mine)

1WV1jTw.jpg

Imagine that with Stonehenge in foreground ;)

• Like 2

Posted

I suspect at mid eclipse the sky looking SEwards would appear somewhat lighter than the sky looking NWwards. I think this will be more noticeable the further north and west you are in the UK.

If you are on the Outer Hebrides or the Northern Isles, I think you will really notice it. There will be a definite lopsidedness in the brightness at the mid eclipse. Sky could look really dark on the NW horizon.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm just wonder what effect, if any, additional cloud cover will have in terms of the magnitude of brightness lost at the peak of partiality.

Posted

The event lasts quite a while and I would be surprised if many places don't get a fleeting glimpse or two.

Passing cloud can give a good effect for photos e.g.:

(not mine)

1WV1jTw.jpg

Imagine that with Stonehenge in foreground ;)

that's what I remember from the 1999 in Cornwall, cloud coming and going. Glasgow is showing up some breaks, in the shelter of the Highlands from the NW wind

Posted

Daily Express inaccuracies are not restricted to the weather, their eclipse article is riddled with factual inaccuracies.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/564224/Total-Eclipse-Britain-UK-Precautions-Viewing-Best-Places-to-Watch

It claims Friday's eclipse is the first total eclipse to be witnessed from the UK in a decade

WRONG: The UK will not witness a total eclipse from UK soil until 2090

It says another deep will be due on August 2026.

FACT: actually more of the UK will be within the 90% partial boundary than next Friday's, so arguably this is the deepest eclipse outside totality touching UK soil between 1999 and 2090.

It then claims no total eclipse from 2026 to 2090.

WRONG: There will be total eclipses between those years, if it is referring close to the UK then infact, the Channel Islands will witness a total eclipse in September 2081.

It also talks about a total eclipse but the two photographs it shows are infact an annular eclipse! One it claims are the stages of a total eclipse, they are of an annular eclipse!

• Like 1

Posted

Daily Express inaccuracies are not restricted to the weather, their eclipse article is riddled with factual inaccuracies.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/564224/Total-Eclipse-Britain-UK-Precautions-Viewing-Best-Places-to-Watch

It claims Friday's eclipse is the first total eclipse to be witnessed from the UK in a decade

FACT: actually more of the UK will be within the 90% partial boundary than next Friday's, so arguably this is the deepest eclipse outside totality touching UK soil between 1999 and 2090.

WRONG: There will be total eclipses between those years, if it is referring close to the UK then infact, the Channel Islands will witness a total eclipse in September 2081.

It also talks about a total eclipse but the two photographs it shows are infact an annular eclipse! One it claims are the stages of a total eclipse, they are of an annular eclipse!

I would encourage people to avoid clicking on the link.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Apparently, avoid taking a selfie during the eclipse. It could burn your retinas! Well, unless you have eyes in the back of your head, you won't be looking at the sun. And, looking at a live image of the sun on your screen will do diddly squat. It would ruin the camera sensor on your smartphone though.

Re; the weather

I'm not sure what my chances are here, i'm in no mans land. The GFS cloud charts favour breaks in the SW, so i'm hoping to get lucky. It was a cloudfest here in 1999 too. Fingers crossed for everybody else too!

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Apparently, avoid taking a selfie during the eclipse. It could burn your retinas! Well, unless you have eyes in the back of your head, you won't be looking at the sun. And, looking at a live image of the sun on your screen will do diddly squat. It would ruin the camera sensor on your smartphone though.

Re; the weather

I'm not sure what my chances are here, i'm in no mans land. The GFS cloud charts favour breaks in the SW, so i'm hoping to get lucky. It was a cloudfest here in 1999 too. Fingers crossed for everybody else too!

ECM gives you clear skies :)

• Like 1

Posted

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2015_GoogleMapFull.html

Interactive map of the eclipse. Click anywhere to see the circumstances for that exact location.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/SolarEclipsesGoogleMaps.html

• Like 1

Posted

I remember seeing the 1999 eclipse,the best one I`ve seen,there was an eerie darker tint to the clouds and sky.

Posted

Why bother to read anythig the Daily Express writes? It's always wrong!!!!

Posted

ECM has clearances across the central swathe of England and Wales, Euro4 has a blanket of cloud across the entire country. It's not looking great to be honest.

Posted

ECM has clearances across the central swathe of England and Wales, Euro4 has a blanket of cloud across the entire country. It's not looking great to be honest.

The accuracy of Euro4 leaves a lot to be desired. Shows far more cloud now on its prediction than it current is.