Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 1st May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Something to do with the fact that there as not been enough surface heating, due to loads of cloud, If skies had been clear some great thunderstorms, given the parimeters  of todays output..... :nonono:  :closedeyes:  :wallbash:

We did have some sunshine though this afternoon :) this is when the convection really took off but it wasent long before that awful dull grey cloud blanketed the sky once again but I know what you mean regards the cloud cover , it always spoils our storms. :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Nah, model outputs can do better than that.   :wink:  Back in 2010 (in late May), the GFS was modelling SBCAPE in excess 3000j/kg (surface dewpoints were progged at the upper 60s to low 70s F) and lifted indices around -8C for many parts of England and Wales just short of a week in advance.  Despite being at a fair range, the palpitations already got going lol.  Those conditions alone would have brought severe thunderstorms, but not only that, deep layer shear was also modeled to be strong as well.  Needless to say, if those outputs had verified we'd have easily been looking at a severe thunderstorm outbreak.   Makes you think though. Such setups are indeed exceptionally rare, but it still can happen.

God, sounds extreme that! I definitely remember late May 2008 was the tail end of some mega storms over the continent and gave probably the only night storm that occurred within those horrendous 5 years! I get the feeling that we will see something much different this summer though. Certainly something like 5-6th July 2001 would be muchly appreciated! Or even 28th June 2005, which was the last proper MCS that moved directly N over the UK from France.

God, sounds extreme that! I definitely remember late May 2008 was the tail end of some mega storms over the continent and gave probably the only night storm that occurred within those horrendous 5 years! I get the feeling that we will see something much different this summer though. Certainly something like 5-6th July 2001 would be muchly appreciated! Or even 28th June 2005, which was the last proper MCS that moved directly N over the UK from France.

june 2005 my last great storm , 8 hours of thunder and lightning , just brilliant !!....
  • Like 1

Posted

God, sounds extreme that! I definitely remember late May 2008 was the tail end of some mega storms over the continent and gave probably the only night storm that occurred within those horrendous 5 years!I get the feeling that we will see something much different this summer though. Certainly something like 5-6th July 2001 would be muchly appreciated! Or even 28th June 2005, which was the last proper MCS that moved directly N over the UK from France.

June 28th 2005 was the storm of all storms in my memory, the one that got me interested in severe weather and still like many have said the best storm for years! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

June 28th 2005 was the storm of all storms in my memory, the one that got me interested in severe weather and still like many have said the best storm for years!

june 2005 my last great storm , 8 hours of thunder and lightning , just brilliant !!....

Totally agree with you both :DReally was a motherload that night, seemed to go on relentlessly as it bullied its way north. Incredible lightning in all directions and pretty much every type of lightning strike there is in the book was witnessed!Ah those were the days! Back then if they said storms drifting up from France and near continent, you knew you was going to be in for a show!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

2005 was the year that I last had a proper storm instead of a thundery shower. I recorded a strange ball of light shooting past me, just before a big flash of lightning, I only discovered it after watching it back on the TV.

Nah, model outputs can do better than that.   :wink:  Back in 2010 (in late May), the GFS was modelling SBCAPE in excess 3000j/kg (surface dewpoints were progged at the upper 60s to low 70s F) and lifted indices around -8C for many parts of England and Wales just short of a week in advance.  Despite being at a fair range, the palpitations already got going lol.  Those conditions alone would have brought severe thunderstorms, but not only that, deep layer shear was also modeled to be strong as well.  Needless to say, if those outputs had verified we'd have easily been looking at a severe thunderstorm outbreak.  

Makes you think though. Such setups are indeed exceptionally rare, but it still can happen.  

There were some epic storms here early May 2011, had around 4-5 intense overhead thunderstorms on the 9th (some good storms in the days leading up as welll), the last of which produced a crazy downburst/microburst with straight line winds that must have been ~90mph or more. Rain, hail so heavy visibility was less than 100m, maybe just 50m at peak! Initially thought it was a tornado but in retrospect probably a downburst though I suppose you wouldn't see anything with the visibility.  The most insane weather event I've experienced and perhaps ever will.

Posted Image

I wonder what the CAPE was for that day, probably a lot of shear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Last good storm I remember in Norwich was 13th September 2006. It was fairly stormy early hours of that morning on way up to York, and on way back same day, we ran into a corker of a storm as we came into Norwich. Marvellous. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I remember marble sized hail stones in a thunderstorm in London in 2009! :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Last good storm that hit Cardiff was Jan 2013! TORRO names it a supercell, it was one beast, with the loudest thunder ive ever heard! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

The thunder storm I remember was the Ottery St Mary hail storm of 29/10/2008 to 30/10/2008. The storm lasted for hours with frequent thunder and lightning and torrential rain in Newton Poppleford. However, in Ottery St Mary they didn't just have frequent thunder and lightning and torrential rain. Also, they had several centimeters of hail. It was the worst thunderstorm to hit Devon in several years. But, what was strange is that no thunderstorms were forecast that night.

• Like 1

Posted

Last good storm I remember in Norwich was 13th September 2006. It was fairly stormy early hours of that morning on way up to York, and on way back same day, we ran into a corker of a storm as we came into Norwich. Marvellous. :)

The thunder storm I remember was the Ottery St Mary hail storm of 29/10/2008 to 30/10/2008. The storm lasted for hours with frequent thunder and lightning and torrential rain in Newton Poppleford. However, in Ottery St Mary they didn't just have frequent thunder and lightning and torrential rain. Also, they had several centimeters of hail. It was the worst thunderstorm to hit Devon in several years. But, what was strange is that no thunderstorms were forecast that night.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

It just shows how localised the thunder storm was.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's hard to say what was the best storm for me in N. Somerset. 23rd July 2013 comes close (not least because it is my birthday) but because the lightning was almost constant with a persistent sound of thunder but with very little rain - not a typical British storm. Some storms that stand out for me however are:

23rd July 2013

12th August 2012

25th June 2009

09th May 2008

19th June 2007

18th August 2006

10th May 2006

31st August 2005

28th June 2005

24th June 2005

16th August 2004

09th August 2002

04th July 2001

Roughly one from each year. 2005 was definitely the year though!

Edited by MP-R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Best storms for me, not all in Derby though, in date order since 2004:

August 2nd 2013

July 22nd/23rd 2013

5th August 2012

28th June 2012

14th September 2006

23rd August 2006

26th/27th July 2006

10th May 2006

31st August 2005

28th June 2005

21st October 2004

Posted

sorry for not posting full of flu but getting better.

today lovely sunny with clouds coming by we cooking them up as they move over from the continent.  Some huge plumes starting already one system passing few smaller arced trailing which if develops would be tasty.   Sure where they go might develop into storms.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

But, what was strange is that no thunderstorms were forecast that night.

That's not unusual, technology improves but the forecasts don't :p

Posted

Most of central and Eastern Europe taking an absolute pounding again i see , i hate this country for storm " setups " , they come off every once in a while , whilst conditions over there are always perfect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Don't this bad boy look good for 17th May, it's going to change but oh well;)

post-18097-0-15159900-1399038878_thumb.p

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

June 28th 2009 was a great storm an I don't remember getting a storm in 2005 but I seem to recall August 2006 more? Can anyone shed some light?Yesterday was ok for my area some mean looking skies and even a couple claps of thunder, I didn't hear anything at about 7 even though I was at the back door watching the rain pour down.I have a good feeling about this year as there have been way more storm reports than I can remember from this time of year. I think a big factor this year was the mild winter weather, the water surrounding the UK didn't have a chance to cool as much as it normally would and is running at or just above average. I hope this helps with surfaced based storms.

Posted

June 28th 2009 was a great storm an I don't remember getting a storm in 2005 but I seem to recall August 2006 more? Can anyone shed some light?

Heres the strikes from Aug 2006.

This weekend looks fairly quiet regarding storms  

post-17481-0-52809400-1399044587_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

June 28th 2009 was a great storm an I don't remember getting a storm in 2005 but I seem to recall August 2006 more? Can anyone shed some light?Yesterday was ok for my area some mean looking skies and even a couple claps of thunder, I didn't hear anything at about 7 even though I was at the back door watching the rain pour down.I have a good feeling about this year as there have been way more storm reports than I can remember from this time of year. I think a big factor this year was the mild winter weather, the water surrounding the UK didn't have a chance to cool as much as it normally would and is running at or just above average. I hope this helps with surfaced based storms.

I chased a storm on the 27th June 2009 around the Luton area. It could be that I have the date slightly out and it was the same storm you talk about. This storm produced pea sized hail and torrential rain with some great CGS's too not far from Luton Airport, and it was very slow moving so lasted quite a while.  

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at just good storms that happen in May, 18th May 1997 was a beauty. I remember the flashing and banging just as the early morning twilight of that Sunday was appearing.

The day before

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCThZCxTCqs

Better :p 

The weather maps were so much better then :(