Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 1st May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCThZCxTCqs

Better :p

The weather maps were so much better then :(

you've got a point there Neil, I miss the old BBC graphics with radar overlay..

in recent times, July last year (can't remember which day), 28th June 2012 MCS, 9th May 2011 evening monster storm, and 23 sept 2010 stand out for me.....As a young un when I was living in Brixham, Devon (back in the 70's) I remember numerous overnight MCS storms drifting across the English Channel to give us an ealry morning wake up call.....one in particular was July 1982, I remember it well, it was after the footy World Cup final, and ITV were premiering the first 'Alien' film and the moment the Alien burst out of John Hurt's chest, there was a huge flash of lightning, instant crash of thunder and I nearly pooped a brick!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I chased a storm on the 27th June 2009 around the Luton area. It could be that I have the date slightly out and it was the same storm you talk about. This storm produced pea sized hail and torrential rain with some great CGS's too not far from Luton Airport, and it was very slow moving so lasted quite a while.  

Definatley one of those days, I think the storm lasted a good 3/4 hours though, we got some good hail also. The lightning was awesome, I have a very low quality video of it somewhere I may upload it at some point.I wouldn't mind storm chasing around Europe for a few days this summer, I don't think it would be too expensive for one or two days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Definatley one of those days, I think the storm lasted a good 3/4 hours though, we got some good hail also. The lightning was awesome, I have a very low quality video of it somewhere I may upload it at some point.I wouldn't mind storm chasing around Europe for a few days this summer, I don't think it would be too expensive for one or two days.

I believe that one you're talking about was shown on Wimbledon and it showed a cracking CG. It was overlooking Wembley stadium!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

That's cool, doesn't even look that menacing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

GFS weather model overview going for thunderstorms throughout the night, in the north, during Thursday night, into Friday morning.... Would like to see a proper day or night of full country activity, despite the chances being minimal.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

There may be some thundery activity tomorrow as already mentioned and Estofex have the 15% lightning risk for SE of a line Humber to around Cornwall. Unfortunately I think tomorrow will be another one of those days whereby we watch longingly at the Benelux getting hammered whilst we make do with one or two weak storms at most.

• Like 2

GFS weather model overview going for thunderstorms throughout the night, in the north, during Thursday night, into Friday morning.... Would like to see a proper day or night of full country activity, despite the chances being minimal.

flying out of Manchester early Friday morning, will have camera ready for some good cloudscapes , with luck !!.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

When I lived in York....I was so jealous of the storms in EA and the general South. My sister was always phoning me about cracking all-nighters in Lowestoft area. Now....I've lived in EA for 13 years and the storms have migrated North. :( Since I've lived here, I think I can count about 3/4 decent storms in all that time. 'Sigh'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Storms seem to have become  an anti climax in London recently too! They are few and far between nowadays!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

will anything happen down here in deepest kent i wonder???

Estofex have a Tstorm symbol from midlands southwards.

Although, Its not really for much. Just some heavy showers with limited activity.

Today has a little potential for the odd local storm but nothing major.

http://estofex.org/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There could be an area of interest running up from Cornwall and up through the Bristol channel later this afternoon. It looks to stay dry and sunny here, rather warm too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

EURO4's take on things:

Posted ImagePosted Image

So the M4 line especially around the Reading area and around the Sheffield area has the best chance of seeing any storms if they do develop later on today.

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 4

Posted

nice plumes with lots water in them been passing here all day.  Hard to judge how high these plumes are but some go high.    With Panayiotis comments map could be inline here for something if opens up. :good:

Posted

Sat in the office here in Wolverhampton and there are a few showers passing by.

This seems to me to be a lot more south than originally forecast as I thought it was northern England that was in the firing line today?

Posted

Some intense downpours across the Somerset/Bath/Bristol area pushing into Wiltshire now. No lightning activity yet but it wouldn't be a surprise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Some intense downpours across the Somerset/Bath/Bristol area pushing into Wiltshire now. No lightning activity yet but it wouldn't be a surprise.

Netweather V6 radar is showing a strike in Somerset not far from Wells.

Posted

Judging by the latest GFS, Cape values are on the increase still. Expect further showers with some thunder across Central Southern England and into the Midlands.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Been a lovely day with nice fluffy cumulus floating bye, how ever to the south and southwest the sky is turning dark and very thundery looking with clouds forming at different heights and some very large towering cumulus

Posted

Been a lovely day with nice fluffy cumulus floating bye, how ever to the south and southwest the sky is turning dark and very thundery looking with clouds forming at different heights and some very large towering cumulus

Liking that description !!