Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm chase tour 2 - build-up

Paul

Posted

Tour 2 of the storm chase starts on the 21st May (first chase day the 22nd), so it's time to start the countdown to it...

All guests should have received their final info pack yesterday, if you didn't please let me know. Also a reminder to those on the tour - please send over your flight details when you have the chance. 

The staff for tour two are:

Paul Sherman

John Hanrahan

Tom Lynch

Dave Vicary

The guests are:

Graham

John

Rob

Matt

Richard

Kris

Mo (chase virgin)

Rich (chase virgin)

We do have 2 spaces available for this tour due to a late cancellation, more info here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80282-last-minute-storm-chase-places-available/

Weather wise, we're a fair way off so lots of uncertainty yet but at this point in time it's looking like an active start to the tour, so it could be a case of being straight into the action. More updates on this over the coming days.

post-2-0-75188800-1400066474_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

OH YEAH BABY!!!!!!!

Posted

would be good to meet the new people on the tour too!  Mo and Rich!

Where are they both from?

Posted

Hi Rich and Mo, welcome aboard! 

Don't forget to send me over your flight details when you have the chance please :)

In terms of the setup for the start of the tour, we're still looking good. Today's model update could possibly see you chasing in the TX/OK panhandle on day 1 which is a great spot, proper chaser country with straight roads, big wide opens plains and big skies..

post-2-0-12160200-1400232655_thumb.png

Posted

Hiya, Rich and Mo here

Hubbie and wife from Chippenham Wiltshire

It's gonna be great! Been watching tour 1 and it looks busy already.

:girl_devil:

Good Afternoon!  

i hope you are excited!

This WILL be the best (almost) 2 weeks of your life!

will be good to meet you out in Dallas!  

have a safe flight and we will see you in Irving!

Gee

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Well, there is a desperate outlook over the next few days over the plains for those out there presently. It rather reminds me of the time that I went out there in 2011 and I feel for the tour 1 guests - however, a big saving grace is that the guests make a close knit community and have a great time regardless - I know that I certainly did!

The present east positioned trough is responsible for removing all the heat and moisture and conditions that need to be present to create severe storms in the plains and it will be some time before this turns around. However, the signs are there that by the middle of next week the DP's and temps will have recovered sufficiently as a new upper trough hits the west, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some more traditional dryline panhandle chasing on the cards by Wednesday/ Thursday next week. Keep your fingers crossed tour 2!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Well, there is a desperate outlook over the next few days over the plains for those out there presently. It rather reminds me of the time that I went out there in 2011 and I feel for the tour 1 guests - however, a big saving grace is that the guests make a close knit community and have a great time regardless - I know that I certainly did!

The present east positioned trough is responsible for removing all the heat and moisture and conditions that need to be present to create severe storms in the plains and it will be some time before this turns around. However, the signs are there that by the middle of next week the DP's and temps will have recovered sufficiently as a new upper trough hits the west, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some more traditional dryline panhandle chasing on the cards by Wednesday/ Thursday next week. Keep your fingers crossed tour 2!

Not too desperate surely? They've had a great tour start and locals won't be dying later. Fundamentally a spectacular tornado outbreak almost always means deaths. :(

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wild Thunderstorns

Hi all. I'm andy from Brighton and I'm on chase 3. I can't wait to get out there n chase them storms. And yes I'm also a chase virgin

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

well I am nearly half way packed up. Just need to disconnect the kitchen sink and im sorted.  National Grid is struggling atm because I am charging some many things , including the two, two way radiosused to communicate between the vans.

As for tour 2 weather , it is looking fairly good atm so fingers crossed we will get something to see from the start of the tour.

post-2466-0-25385600-1400284263_thumb.pn

post-2466-0-20525000-1400284280_thumb.pn

post-2466-0-21006600-1400284305_thumb.pn

Posted

Not too desperate surely? They've had a great tour start and locals won't be dying later. Fundamentally a spectacular tornado outbreak almost always means deaths. :(

Stormchasing is without doubt one of the more 'challenging' pursuits when it comes to balancing the excitement and thrill of severe weather with the potential effects it has on life and property.I think I speak for all enthusiasts of supercell thunderstorms, derechos and tornados when I say it has nothing to do with the potential harm these things bring, but everything to do with the wonder and majesty of the cloudscapes and the sheer scale of the mechanisms involved. Nature unhindered.

Yes a spectacular tornado may mean deaths, but that will happen regardless of whether anyone is chasing it or not. In fact many lives are saved because people are chasing and watching and reporting.

I understand your sentiments, but perhaps this forum is not for you? 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

GFS and ECM broadly agreeing over there being a ridge over the lower Mississippi Valley and a trough out west next week that slowly fills, but should provide enough cyclonic flow aloft for some storms over the central/northern High Plains, the storm risk perhaps transferring further east next weekend, as the shallow trough out west finally pushes east - though less certainty on this. Moisture looks like recovering across the Plains next week too, which will help increase severe potential.

Posted

The slow moving pattern this week does allow for moisture return into the central and high plains, with the emphasis on upslope activity. The primary areas of interest are likely to be E CO and NW KS into W NE in my opinion. A sort of late season feel mid-season if you get my drift.

Posted

in my opinion. A sort of late season feel mid-season if you get my drift.

Oh that's not good, that suggest's the end of season stuff for tour 4 will mean touring in Canadian Praries

Posted

Oh that's not good, that suggest's the end of season stuff for tour 4 will mean touring in Canadian Praries

Not necessarily, but the season has been unusual it has to be said - and the incredible distance already covered by Tour 1 is testimony to that.It is very hard to predict what the rest of May and June has in store, but I wouldn't put it past Mother Nature to deliver a multi-day outbreak at some point in classic chase territory.The big question is - when?

Posted

hopefully this weekend!

Posted

....., but I wouldn't put it past Mother Nature to deliver a multi-day outbreak at some point in classic chase territory.The big question is - when?

My money is on the next tour picking up the cup for that event.....

Posted

Models continue the scenario for upslope activity along the front range in W CO Weds through Thurs this week.Actually moisture return is impressive and with an easterly at the surface and a WSW aloft, deep directional shear will provide ample opportunity for rotating supercells meandering down the slope.Weds evening could be a Burlington I70 corridor special.